Data issue with Straight Talk vs T-Mobile PPD

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I've tried T-Mobile PPD (unlimited everything except 2GB Data) and now I'm trying out Straight Talk on AT&T. Besides the horrible data performance with AT&T I'm getting this annoying time out on Chrome 3 out of 5 times when I try to bring up a website. The attached pic is from earlier today while I was out. If I refresh 1-2 times it will eventually appear. Never ever had this problem with T-Mobile. At this rate the frustration alone is worth the extra cost to move back to T-Mobile and forget Straight Talk ever existed. I've tried this with the proxy settings on and off and I get the same results. My theory is AT&T is so darn slow that Chrome times out.

e0pf9d.png

number13

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I am a new subscriber to ST. I moved from at&t a week ago and it looks like many users, new and existing, have been experiencing slow data and timeouts. Just like the OP's description of the behavior in Chrome. Same goes for me. I joined the ST forums and posted an issue there. They are aware of the issue. I am not sure what they are doing about it but this is a widespread issue with ST now. Again I am new to the service (using the same at&t network) but it should be better than this. I hope they get it worked out soon.

Reactions: Mobimop

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Is that something that its done do users that choose to pay less get less service? You get what you pay for?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Is that something that its done do users that choose to pay less get less service? You get what you pay for?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Less service? Not sure what I'm missing here regarding service. I'll just pop in my T-Mobile SIM in 20 days. Can't beat $59 and no contract..

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I am a new subscriber to ST. I moved from at&t a week ago and it looks like many users, new and existing, have been experiencing slow data and timeouts. Just like the OP's description of the behavior in Chrome. Same goes for me. I joined the ST forums and posted an issue there. They are aware of the issue. I am not sure what they are doing about it but this is a widespread issue with ST now. Again I am new to the service (using the same at&t network) but it should be better than this. I hope they get it worked out soon.

Thanks for the info, I hope this gets resolved soon but I'm thinking that ST has over subscribed with AT&T and were feeling the effects...

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried getting the standalone app from the play store? That might work.

As I stated before speedtest.net either by web browser or application is blocked. Anyways if I use another service for the speed test it's slow as heck and T-Mobile blows it out of the water!

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
As I stated before speedtest.net either by web browser or application is blocked. Anyways if I use another service for the speed test it's slow as heck and T-Mobile blows it out of the water!

Mm, well, I guess you'll just have to wait for he fix. Have you thought about tmobile $50 value plan with 500 mins, unlimited texts, and 2GB of 4g?

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Mm, well, I guess you'll just have to wait for he fix. Have you thought about tmobile $50 value plan with 500 mins, unlimited texts, and 2GB of 4g?

I have the T-Mobile PPD plan (value plans require a contract = YUCK) for $59 that included unlimited talk and text with 2GB of 4G just waiting for my SIM card to expire on Straight Talk, 18 days left....

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Sorta off topic but I can't use Speedtest either with the proxy installed using Straight Talk. I have been getting A LOT better service since putting the proxy back in.

What other services can I sue for speed tests? What are you guys using other than Speed Test?

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm back on T-Mobile and my timeout issues are gone! Life is good again! So if your in the Tempe/Phoenix, AZ area I would be wary of using Straight Talk service.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
to each their own.

my prepaid $30/mo T-Mo experience wasn't grand, "1.1 down & .2 up" in "Excellent 4g coverage area"

where as i'm now on StraightTalk with 6.5 down & 1.5 up.

but i'm happy it was just your coverage and not something within the phone itself.

*also, thanks to this thread for confirming that Speedtest was blocked by ST. i downloaded the app after popping in my SIM and it bypassed it.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem running Speedtest.net as app with ST on the AT&T network.
Pete

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased my Galaxy Nexus direct from Gooogle. I'm using ST on the AT&T network. One of the main reasons I selected this particular phone was it's advertised Pentaband capability which allows it to access the high speed networks on both AT&T and T-mobile. Now that I have the phone, how can I verify this short of activating a T-mobile SIM?

Update: Under the battery the model is listed as GT-I9250M, but on the box it's listed as GT-I9250TSGGEN? In both places the IMEI number is the same. Hope someone can solve this mystery. I want to be sure I have the Pentaband version before the 15 day remorse period expires.
Pete

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz