Data issue with Straight Talk vs T-Mobile PPD

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased my Galaxy Nexus direct from Gooogle. I'm using ST on the AT&T network. One of the main reasons I selected this particular phone was it's advertised Pentaband capability which allows it to access the high speed networks on both AT&T and T-mobile. Now that I have the phone, how can I verify this short of activating a T-mobile SIM?

Update: Under the battery the model is listed as GT-I9250M, but on the box it's listed as GT-I9250TSGGEN? In both places the IMEI number is the same. Hope someone can solve this mystery. I want to be sure I have the Pentaband version before the 15 day remorse period expires.
Pete

If you bought it from Google you definitely have the pentaband model. Many have people have bought the exact same model and used on both att and tmo :)

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased my Galaxy Nexus direct from Gooogle. I'm using ST on the AT&T network. One of the main reasons I selected this particular phone was it's advertised Pentaband capability which allows it to access the high speed networks on both AT&T and T-mobile. Now that I have the phone, how can I verify this short of activating a T-mobile SIM?

Update: Under the battery the model is listed as GT-I9250M, but on the box it's listed as GT-I9250TSGGEN? In both places the IMEI number is the same. Hope someone can solve this mystery. I want to be sure I have the Pentaband version before the 15 day remorse period expires.
Pete

Its pentaband. Every single GSM Galaxy Nexus is.

OP, I've been on ST AT&T for about a week now and haven't ever had that issue. You're right the connection is slower (welcome to AT&T), but I've never had timeouts or any issues of the sort. You can try removing the "Proxy" line (not MMS Proxy) in your APN settings, some report that helps (I've done this).

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
If you bought it from Google you definitely have the pentaband model. Many have people have bought the exact same model and used on both att and tmo :)
Do you know if it's also 4G capable? I read elsewhere that you should be sure to by a 4G phone.
Pete

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Do you know if it's also 4G capable? I read elsewhere that you should be sure to by a 4G phone.
Pete

The Galaxy Nexus does not have 4G LTE. It has UMTS (3G) and HSPA+ 21mbps ("4G"). You'll get the full HSPA+ speeds on either AT&T or T-Mobile, but again, you will not get LTE on AT&T.

Also, the CDMA/LTE models for Verizon and Sprint will not work with AT&T. Ever.

S_C_B

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I switched to ST recently with my GNEx. I removed the proxy settings, and my speeds and connections got better.

tfranzman

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just went round and round with the Straight Talk help desk people with this same problem. Then I came here. Removing the proxy (not the port #) worked like a charm. Thanks everyone involved with providing the solutions.

fruktas

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys i would like to ask which is really better ST Tmobile or ST AT&T how to find out coz i have a tmobile phone but i can unlock it and root it which ever i want, but so far i had tmobile and service is not that great. Web speeds arent great either. will ATT will be better or Tmobile?

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys i would like to ask which is really better ST Tmobile or ST AT&T how to find out coz i have a tmobile phone but i can unlock it and root it which ever i want, but so far i had tmobile and service is not that great. Web speeds arent great either. will ATT will be better or Tmobile?
My understanding is that T-mobile phones will work fine on the AT&T network for both voice and SMS (text), but not for data unless the phone happens to be pentaband like the Galaxy Nexus (gsm) phone. Basically, if you switched without a pentaband phone you would get 2g not 3g data speeds. This is one of the maiin reasons I purchased my Galaxy Nexus (gsm) directly from Google. The extra frequency band provides for high speed data on either AT&T or T-mobile networks

Currently I'm with ST AT&T, but have considered switching to T-mobile just to evaluate them. I have read that AT&T offers better nationwide coverage while T-mobile offers highers speeds where available.
Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech