Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Default Data issue with Straight Talk vs T-Mobile PPD

Okay so I've tried T-Mobile PPD (unlimited everything except 2GB Data) and now I'm trying out Straight Talk on AT&T. Besides the horrible data performance with AT&T I'm getting this annoying time out on Chrome 3 out of 5 times when I try to bring up a website. The attached pic is from earlier today while I was out. If I refresh 1-2 times it will eventually appear. Never ever had this problem with T-Mobile. At this rate the frustration alone is worth the extra cost to move back to T-Mobile and forget Straight Talk ever existed. I've tried this with the proxy settings on and off and I get the same results. My theory is AT&T is so darn slow that Chrome times out.

That would depend on your area. Have you done a speed test from speedtest.net?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Default Re: Data issue with Straight Talk vs T-Mobile PPD

Quote Originally Posted by craZDude View Post
    That would depend on your area. Have you done a speed test from speedtest.net?
    Speedtest.net is blocked by Straight Talk.... Wonder why.. LOL
    joshua.worth and MERCDROID like this.
    Queendroid

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mobimop View Post
    Lol seriously? That's funny.

Sent from my SPH-D710
    MERCDROID and joshua.worth like this.

Have you tried getting the standalone app from the play store? That might work.
    Banned

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

get a T-Mobile galaxy s3 42mbps and your issues are gone

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I am a new subscriber to ST. I moved from at&t a week ago and it looks like many users, new and existing, have been experiencing slow data and timeouts. Just like the OP's description of the behavior in Chrome. Same goes for me. I joined the ST forums and posted an issue there. They are aware of the issue. I am not sure what they are doing about it but this is a widespread issue with ST now. Again I am new to the service (using the same at&t network) but it should be better than this. I hope they get it worked out soon.
    Mobimop likes this.

Is that something that its done do users that choose to pay less get less service? You get what you pay for?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    get a T-Mobile galaxy s3 42mbps and your issues are gone

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    That would be crazy, I'll just place my T-Mobile SIM card back in and activate it again.

No Contract=PRICELESS
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Topgonzo View Post
    Is that something that its done do users that choose to pay less get less service? You get what you pay for?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    Less service? Not sure what I'm missing here regarding service. I'll just pop in my T-Mobile SIM in 20 days. Can't beat $59 and no contract..

I've been having issues the past several days as well. Been on ST for a few months and never had problems til now. I'm hoping they're just having temporary issues.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by number13 View Post
    I am a new subscriber to ST. I moved from at&t a week ago and it looks like many users, new and existing, have been experiencing slow data and timeouts. Just like the OP's description of the behavior in Chrome. Same goes for me. I joined the ST forums and posted an issue there. They are aware of the issue. I am not sure what they are doing about it but this is a widespread issue with ST now. Again I am new to the service (using the same at&t network) but it should be better than this. I hope they get it worked out soon.
    Thanks for the info, I hope this gets resolved soon but I'm thinking that ST has over subscribed with AT&T and were feeling the effects...
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Have you tried getting the standalone app from the play store? That might work.
    As I stated before speedtest.net either by web browser or application is blocked. Anyways if I use another service for the speed test it's slow as heck and T-Mobile blows it out of the water!

As I stated before speedtest.net either by web browser or application is blocked. Anyways if I use another service for the speed test it's slow as heck and T-Mobile blows it out of the water!
    Mm, well, I guess you'll just have to wait for he fix. Have you thought about tmobile $50 value plan with 500 mins, unlimited texts, and 2GB of 4g?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Mm, well, I guess you'll just have to wait for he fix. Have you thought about tmobile $50 value plan with 500 mins, unlimited texts, and 2GB of 4g?
    I have the T-Mobile PPD plan (value plans require a contract = YUCK) for $59 that included unlimited talk and text with 2GB of 4G just waiting for my SIM card to expire on Straight Talk, 18 days left....

Sorta off topic but I can't use Speedtest either with the proxy installed using Straight Talk. I have been getting A LOT better service since putting the proxy back in.

What other services can I sue for speed tests? What are you guys using other than Speed Test?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

I'm back on T-Mobile and my timeout issues are gone! Life is good again! So if your in the Tempe/Phoenix, AZ area I would be wary of using Straight Talk service.

Carrier
    Bamf Paradigm

to each their own.

my prepaid $30/mo T-Mo experience wasn't grand, "1.1 down & .2 up" in "Excellent 4g coverage area"

where as i'm now on StraightTalk with 6.5 down & 1.5 up.

but i'm happy it was just your coverage and not something within the phone itself.

*also, thanks to this thread for confirming that Speedtest was blocked by ST. i downloaded the app after popping in my SIM and it bypassed it.

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts

I have no problem running Speedtest.net as app with ST on the AT&T network.
    Pete

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts

I just purchased my Galaxy Nexus direct from Gooogle. I'm using ST on the AT&T network. One of the main reasons I selected this particular phone was it's advertised Pentaband capability which allows it to access the high speed networks on both AT&T and T-mobile. Now that I have the phone, how can I verify this short of activating a T-mobile SIM?

Update: Under the battery the model is listed as GT-I9250M, but on the box it's listed as GT-I9250TSGGEN? In both places the IMEI number is the same. Hope someone can solve this mystery. I want to be sure I have the Pentaband version before the 15 day remorse period expires.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by flroots View Post
    I just purchased my Galaxy Nexus direct from Gooogle. I'm using ST on the AT&T network. One of the main reasons I selected this particular phone was it's advertised Pentaband capability which allows it to access the high speed networks on both AT&T and T-mobile. Now that I have the phone, how can I verify this short of activating a T-mobile SIM?

Update: Under the battery the model is listed as GT-I9250M, but on the box it's listed as GT-I9250TSGGEN? In both places the IMEI number is the same. Hope someone can solve this mystery. I want to be sure I have the Pentaband version before the 15 day remorse period expires.
    Pete
    If you bought it from Google you definitely have the pentaband model. Many have people have bought the exact same model and used on both att and tmo :-)

Pete
    Its pentaband. Every single GSM Galaxy Nexus is.

OP, I've been on ST AT&T for about a week now and haven't ever had that issue. You're right the connection is slower (welcome to AT&T), but I've never had timeouts or any issues of the sort. You can try removing the "Proxy" line (not MMS Proxy) in your APN settings, some report that helps (I've done this).

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts

If you bought it from Google you definitely have the pentaband model. Many have people have bought the exact same model and used on both att and tmo :-)
    Do you know if it's also 4G capable? I read elsewhere that you should be sure to by a 4G phone.
    Pete

Do you know if it's also 4G capable? I read elsewhere that you should be sure to by a 4G phone.
    Pete
    The Galaxy Nexus does not have 4G LTE. It has UMTS (3G) and HSPA+ 21mbps ("4G"). You'll get the full HSPA+ speeds on either AT&T or T-Mobile, but again, you will not get LTE on AT&T.

Also, the CDMA/LTE models for Verizon and Sprint will not work with AT&T. Ever.

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Almost always stock.

I switched to ST recently with my GNEx. I removed the proxy settings, and my speeds and connections got better.
    tfranzman likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast