"Exchange Services" is killing my battery!

MRKV

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna take a guess and assume this isn't normal. Lately Exchange services has been completely tanking my battery life. I notice it only seems to happen when I am at work (or at least that's when I notice it). I have 2 Hotmail accounts set to sync every 15 minutes other than that I don't have anything would that even use exchange. Any ideas?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd say that you should double check your incoming/outgoing server and settings for both accounts, and make sure there isn't anything hanging on sending or receiving. That's what would cause the drain.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
This happens on mine. I can tell you the reason in my case at least and for several other people. Every hour or two it completely deletes and re-downloads all my messages. I've always had it sync all my messages because I need access to all of them. But with this bug, that means it is re-downloading constantly a large number of messages. This did not happen on my previous phone running Gingerbread. So it is either a bug in this OS (and saw some people had it in ICS too but I never had ICS on my phone) or a coincidence that the Exchange folks changed something right around when I got my nexus.

Other people have set their sync days to 1 or 3 but that doesn't work for me. You can either do that or set up your mail to come through gmail if that is an option for you or set up your account as pop instead of exchange or check your mail on the web (defeating the purpose of getting email on your phone really). I'm still hoping for a fix but the Exchange folks don't seem to care about this and neither does Google. I'm also hoping with tons of other people that Microsoft finally gets imap for hotmail like we've all been begging them for and can't believe they don't have. My accounts are two hotmail exchange accounts but I don't know if yours are corporate. Edit: Oh, I see yours are hotmail as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRKV

MRKV

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
This happens on mine. I can tell you the reason in my case at least and for several other people. Every hour or two it completely deletes and re-downloads all my messages. I've always had it sync all my messages because I need access to all of them. But with this bug, that means it is re-downloading constantly a large number of messages. This did not happen on my previous phone running Gingerbread. So it is either a bug in this OS (and saw some people had it in ICS too but I never had ICS on my phone) or a coincidence that the Exchange folks changed something right around when I got my nexus.

Other people have set their sync days to 1 or 3 but that doesn't work for me. You can either do that or set up your mail to come through gmail if that is an option for you or set up your account as pop instead of exchange or check your mail on the web (defeating the purpose of getting email on your phone really). I'm still hoping for a fix but the Exchange folks don't seem to care about this and neither does Google. I'm also hoping with tons of other people that Microsoft finally gets imap for hotmail like we've all been begging them for and can't believe they don't have. My accounts are two hotmail exchange accounts but I don't know if yours are corporate. Edit: Oh, I see yours are hotmail as well.

I changed the sync setting to the last 3 days and it seems to have worked for now. Not an ideal solution but a solution none the less. Thanks

darkness66

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm not able to use exchange at all on my galaxy nexus. I'm running dark paranoid and I can't seem to find a fix.

Sent from your moms house

Craigwhite3

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
OK, so I'm having the same problem. Samsung Galaxy S3, running 4.0.4.

I read somewhere else that the fix was to go into outlook web access for your email provider (in my case I have three email addresses using OWA instances syncing through exchange services on the phone in addition to another 4 addresses using either gmail sync or IMAP) and delete any unused mobile devices.

To do this, log into your Outlook Web Access client (ask your email admin if you don't know this URL). Once you're in you'll see an interface that looks very similar to the desktop version of MS Outlook. Go to "Options" or "Settings" depending upon the version and go to the section titled "Mobile" or "Mobile Devices".

There should be a list of devices. In my case I deleted all of them. Any that are active will reappear within a couple of minutes. This hasn't affected my email client on the phone at all. When I did this a couple of months ago it seemed to fix my problem. I'm guessing it will work again this time. I have no idea what the issue is or how this fixes it but it seemed to work for me. MY Exchange Services battery drain went from using about 50% of battery to <5% after doing this. As I write this my phone has been off charge for 1h 11m and is at 85%, Exchange Services is responsible for 25% of this drain and is the single largest user of the battery. Screen is only at 24%, followed by Cell Standby at 22%

Kenneth Pettersson

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I had the same problem and it was a real pain. I tried EVERYTHING and nothing helped. I deleted the account (several times), cleared the cache, wiped out calender entrys on the server that was recurrent, tried to set the sync to only sync mail, for one day only and lastly factory reseted the phone. Nothing worked.

Finally, and what did it, was to set everything to push, all the time. No manual schedule or "every 15 minutes" at all, just push all the time. This did it, believe it or not. Now I can't even see the Exchange Services in the battery stat any more. I am enjoying a healthy battery that have plenty of power left at the end of the day, although I still receive around 40-80 mails a day and it's pushing them all. I have sync for calendar, mail and contacs and I sync all mails and the whole calendar.

For me, with a Samsung GS3, this solved all the issues instantly. I had to set the notifications off, but that was worth it for me.

I think the source of the problem is on the server side, as it all started when we moved to Exchange 2010 server. On the other hand, a colleague that owns a HTC One does not have any issues, regardless of the settings he is using. Maybe HTC has their own solution to the exchange sync, I have no idea. As for my Samsung GS3, the problems are all gone.

Worth a try maybe?

Jan Nowak

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Had the same thing. In my case this odd behavior was caused by two emails sitting in \synchronization errors\conflicts\ folder (it may be named a bit different in your device as I've translated it from my native language).

fmldrvr

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
I'd say that you should double check your incoming/outgoing server and settings for both accounts, and make sure there isn't anything hanging on sending or receiving. That's what would cause the drain.

Thank you for suggested checking the messages that may be lingering causing a drain on my phone. It seems so silly but I didn't even think about that and when I checked mine there was a couple sitting there. Thanks and have a good night:) you just made mine:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2