Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Face dialing

Okay, so I'm having a weird problem with my Galaxy Nexus.
    Lately, while on a call, just brushing my face against the phone hangs up on the party I'm speaking with. And turns on the camera. Or dials an old girlfriend.
    At first, I blamed the screen protector. But hell, since it wasn't oleophobic anyway, I just tossed it. But that wasn't the problem.
    Obviously, the proximity detector just dims the screen, but doesn't prevent input. What am I doing wrong here and how can I prevent this from happening?

Default Re: Face dialing

The proximity sensor actually does (or at least is supposed to) prevent input on the screen until you take the phone away from your head.
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

I have the same issue. What I've been doing lately is pressing the power button (make sure it is not programmed to end calls) so the screen "sleeps" while I'm on the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

My proximity sensor turns the screen off so nothing can input. I know this because sometimes I will be talking connected Bluetooth in my car and try to swap it to handset ear piece and my finger will cover it barely and the screen will cut off not allowing me to change it till I move off of the sensor. Are you still stock on the phone?

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yup - still stock with OTA 4.1.1 ... hesitant to unlock/root due to security concerns using Wallet.

Global Posts
    936 Global Posts

Could it be that when you bring the phone to your ear, it's still far back that the sensor doesn't detect your face so the screen doesn't turn off? Try moving it closer to your ear and see again

LG Nexus 4 E960 Occam 44.2.2 JDQ39 / Nokia Lumia 920 / Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 Takju 4.2.2 JDQ39 / Asus Google Nexus 7 4.2.2 JDQ39
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Last edited by MrJazz; 08-28-2012 at 09:24 PM.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by sg01 View Post
    I have the same issue. What I've been doing lately is pressing the power button (make sure it is not programmed to end calls) so the screen "sleeps" while I'm on the phone.

Seems to help; shouldn't have to do it!

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

I think you should contact Google for a possible warranty issue as this shouldn't happen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums