GNex prepaid services

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, I have the unlocked GSM Nexus, planning on getting T-Mobile service.

I notice that Walmart carries $30 unlimited data/100 minute talk cards.

My main question: if I go that route, is there any way to automatically charge & replenish my account, or do I have to purchase a new $30 refill card each time I need it via Walmart?

I was just about the buy the $49.99 unlimited data/500 talk plan from T-Mobile's website, but browsing this forum I noticed the cheaper alternative.

Pardon my "newbie" question, but I'm extremely new to the prepaid world (college grad, just removed from my parents cell plan!)

'ppreciate the help!

P.S. I assume I won't have any problem bring over my number from Verizon to my new prepaid T-Mobile account... ? Thanks again!

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can set up your account online and when you login to "My T-Mobile" you can set up auto-pay there. Do not use Walmart for this plan unless you want to buy a Walmart phone. You can buy a Prepaid SIM kit online at t-mobile.com for 99 cents and then activate it online yourself to get the plan you want.

You can port from Verizon. Just make sure to activate online first and then after you make sure your service is working, call T-Mobile to port with your Verizon account info handy.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can set up your account online and when you login to "My T-Mobile" you can set up auto-pay there. Do not use Walmart for this plan unless you want to buy a Walmart phone. You can buy a Prepaid SIM kit online at t-mobile.com for 99 cents and then activate it online yourself to get the plan you want.

You can port from Verizon. Just make sure to activate online first and then after you make sure your service is working, call T-Mobile to port with your Verizon account info handy.

Perfect, thanks!

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes auto-refill is an option and works just fine. I'd also note that the $30 plan is best grabbed by buying the SIM card activation kit online for $0.99, and activating online as well. The $30 5GB plan is technically an "online only" and "new activations only" plan, so its easiest to just do online, and call CS for a number port from Verizon.

There are also other places to buy refill cards if you want to save a few extra $$ per month. Places like Calling Cards | Prepaid Wireless Minutes | Phone Cards | Prepaid Airtime Wireless Refill from CallingMart sell the T-Mobile refill cards for about 5% off of face value and no taxes or fees. For example you can pick up the $30 plan for about ~$28/month. Upon purchase you can have them auto-load to your account too, its painless. You can even buy $60 and $90 at a time to save a few more $$ (it all goes onto the account and gets deducted 30 days at a time). I've used it when I was on T-Mobile monthly 4G and it was great.

Good luck, think you made a good choice going Prepaid. Lots of people are doing it.

Reactions: TheLibertarian

moosekaka

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
hi,

I have a question, does paying for the $30 T-mobile monthly 4g allow you to get access to their wifi hotspots like in Starbucks etc?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
hi,

I have a question, does paying for the $30 T-mobile monthly 4g allow you to get access to their wifi hotspots like in Starbucks etc?

Don't think T-Mobile offers any kind of special services like that with Prepaid services. Never seen them promote it either. You do have a regular T-Mobile login with your phone # and password though via the full site (not a separate Prepaid site), so it might work.

But if you're looking for WiFi at Starbucks, they all have free WiFi for anyone anyways :p .

myrcgarage

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
hi,

You just need to turn on GNex tethering/hotspot service and you can connect your other devices to this hotspot.

moosekaka

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the reply, hmm so far out here in irvine, CA I have not used free wifi in starbucks as everytime I go there there's only t-mobile's wifi, maybe I need to ask them for a special password or something or maybe its WA starbucks thing?

EDIT: I just saw the free wifi program on starbuck's website....guess I haven't used wifi there since before 2010!

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew Martonik

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513