Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Biggnaa20
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

38 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Default SMS Splitting

I got the GSM(maguro) nexus and am using a monthly 4g plan on T-Mobile. When i send a sms over 160 characters it is splitting. I am used to this coming from verizon, but i though it wasnt supposed to do this on GSM? I know the other person i am texting is also on a GSM provider, AT&T. The messages are also split coming in. any idea?

Default Re: SMS Splitting

Text messages, also known as SMS, are only 160 characters, and will be split by your messaging program.

Other messages that may come through longer are probably MMS or MultiMedia Messaging Service. I'm pretty sure the MMS uses your data connection to send more information, so you can put in more text (and of course the pictures, video, etc)

Andrew Martonik likes this.

SMS is limited to 160 characters per item. They'll always be split.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    SMS is limited to 160 characters per item. They'll always be split.
    indeed. One work around I used on my old CDMA provider (and should work fine with GSM, although I haven't tried it yet) is to send it as an MMS. I believe the character limit is 1000 as opposed to 160. And you have the option of including pics or video as well.