Any way to remove the Google search bar from the home screen?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Usually disabling the Search application will do that, but it won't do anything to give you more room on your homescreen. It'll just disappear and be unused space still.

If you're looking to remove the search bar and replace it with more icons or not have your homescreen look funky (and btw you'll keep your Search app!), just use one of the many popular 3rd party launchers (I think Nova and Apex are popular). They all have the option to configure to hide the search box, and even replace it with a 5th row of icons on the homescreen.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
As far as launchers go, I like Go Launcher Ex best and you can just drag that search bar to the trash with it and you can set a custom number of rows and columns on your homescreens as well if you want more room for icons and widgets. And among many other features, one of my favorite is there is a 15 slot rotating dock that you can set two apps for each slot - so 30 shortcuts just in your dock. That has virtually removed the need for me to have anything cluttering up my homescreen. Anyway, just my opinion on what 3rd party launcher to try out.

emoeskaite

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
That's so fun, I can finally remove all the empty desktop screens and even customize or remove the dock bar with Go Launcher Ex....^-^

Do you know if there is any way to to anything with the very bottom bar (the one with three buttons)?

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
That's so fun, I can finally remove all the empty desktop screens and even customize or remove the dock bar with Go Launcher Ex....^-^

Do you know if there is any way to to anything with the very bottom bar (the one with three buttons)?

Certain roms, such as JBSourcery, will allow you to change the navigation bar. I have mine with three stylized blue buttons, but you can also change the size of it of which buttons show, etc. It's fantastic :)

dasDestruktion

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

As others mentioned, certain ROMs allow this. Cyanogenmod 10 handles it elegantly, allowing you to arrange their order, add/remove particular buttons, etc. I have my Galaxy Nexus set to the same configuration as my Note II now as I tend to hit the wrong buttons when going between the two phones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

keyosuke

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I found a cure to this on another forum. It worked for me. I give credit to the original author "KUN1" so I will quote him.

"If found the soulution
Just go to settings--> Homescreen-->Actionbar Design--> Disable"

And the link to his post is http://forum dot xda-developers dot com/showthread.php?p=33799168

hardeware fox

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot dude,
This google search bar was quite a pain in my royal ***. And with installing Nova, you will have a "Lookout Mobile Security" for free.

Btw you are also capable to remove any kind of widget or app.

Greetingssssss....