Switching between 3G and HSPA+

mathiasjk

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
My Galaxy Nexus keeps switching between 3G UMTS and HSPA+, probably to get the strongest signal.
Does any one know how to stop it doing this, and only connect to HSPA+?

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Is it causing a problem? I see the indicator switching between the 3G & H quite often, too, but thus far, it's not been an issue for me. Seems to be just what these phones do. So far as i know, there's not a way to lock it to 3G or H.

You can lock it to 2G only, but other than adding hours to your battery life, probably not what you want :)

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
My Galaxy Nexus keeps switching between 3G UMTS and HSPA+, probably to get the strongest signal.
Does any one know how to stop it doing this, and only connect to HSPA+?

This is by design. Especially on T-Mobile, the network likes to peg to UMTS when the connection is idle, mainly to save power. Once you're actively transferring data, the phone will hop up to HSPA+ and transfer, then get back down to UMTS when its done. Sitting on HSPA+ 100% of the time isn't good for battery life.

Unless its causing you problems, don't be worried about it.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
when it switches to traditional 3G that could mean that either HSPA+ is not available or the signal is too low.

it would cause more frustrations to you when there is no HSPA+ imo if you force it

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
when it switches to traditional 3G that could mean that either HSPA+ is not available or the signal is too low.

it would cause more frustrations to you when there is no HSPA+ imo if you force it

As I noted above, this is not the case. Switching to 3G (UMTS) when data is not actively transferring is something that is done on purpose for battery considerations.

I have never seen my phone try to stay on a UMTS connection while transferring data. At this point, you either have HSPA, or if the signal is bad/spotty, you'll get kicked down to EDGE.

cummins990

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a question, My phone stays on H all the time and never switches, seems like this is killing the battery.I have it on WCDMA preferred. Shouldn't it switch?

Sandeep Mukherjee

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
The problem I'm facing with this switching is in the app Slacker Radio.

When I start the radio it works fine as it's pulling in the Data and the connection stays on HSPA and everything goes on well. Usually buffering happens much fast and the connection goes to idle while I'm still listening to the song. Once the app moves on to the next song.. many a times it succeeds to acquire HSPA and and about 50% of the time it doesn't switch fast enough and connection stays on 3G and eventually the song playing stops as it is not able to pull any data. Not sure if it is a bug or just my phone or just the slacker radio app.

Pandora use to work fine for most of the time.. maybe coz they have better retry connection logic but can't use pandora anymore because of their stupid royalty cost they started to charge lately.

Dean Taylor2

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes this is causing me a problem, while the signal isn't very strong in my house the constant switching prevents me to find the ideal hot spot. Also when using streaming services and voice calling like skype the constant switching is a pain in the ***.

anyone know how to lock on the HSPA?

greatpouya

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes this is causing me a problem, while the signal isn't very strong in my house the constant switching prevents me to find the ideal hot spot. Also when using streaming services and voice calling like skype the constant switching is a pain in the ***.

anyone know how to lock on the HSPA?

greatpouya

May 14, 2014
Visit site
First of all I have to say that what you're talking about is not at all related to the fast dormancy. What you're talking about is your phone's reaction to the low signal, it has to be like that because maybe hspa and h+ needs a strong signal, but your and my phone are very sensitive to the low signal and they switch to normal 3G(UMTS) even when it has 4 bars(1 bar less than full).
One way to limit your phone to stick to hspa and never fall to UMTS 3g on my phone sgs3 is to get into the hidden menu by this code *#0011# and then go to network settings and limit my network frequency to 900MHz.
Az I've had experiensed it, it only shows H as HSPA ! Even when you have 1 bar.
But unfortunately this menu is limited on android 4.3, so you can't go back to control your phone's network settings.
Hope you find a way, because it really makes me crazy when it switches to 3G everytime you get 4 bars or less;)

sada shiva

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I have a problem with this...when it toggles between H to 3g during phone cal voice is lost from both the ends.. cant hear any thing...then i have to cut the cal and redial..