Looking for headphones that has 3 buttons- compatible with Galaxy Nexus

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone!

So I would like headphones that I can use to play/stop music and to be able to control the volume as well. Does anyone have any headphones that would be compatible with the Galaxy Nexus (GSM Version)? I know there are tons with the iPhones but I can only find headphones that only have 1 button for the Galaxy Nexus. I'm on a budget so if anyone can help me find compatible, 3 buttons control headphones under $50 that would be awesome. If not, does anyone have any workarounds for this? I heard there are apps out there where you can customize the 1 button control, but I have no knowledge about it. >.<

Thank you guys in advance I really appreciate your time on helping me with this issue.

Southrncomfortjm

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, don't know of any. The best solution I can think of that actually doesn't involve buying any headphones is to use a custom ROM that allows you to change music tracks using the volume rockers when the phone is off. Of course, this is only a good solution if you already unlocked and rooted your phone. If you are interested in this, let me know and I can give you some ROMs to try, otherwise, good luck on your search!

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone!

So I would like headphones that I can use to play/stop music and to be able to control the volume as well. Does anyone have any headphones that would be compatible with the Galaxy Nexus (GSM Version)? I know there are tons with the iPhones but I can only find headphones that only have 1 button for the Galaxy Nexus. I'm on a budget so if anyone can help me find compatible, 3 buttons control headphones under $50 that would be awesome. If not, does anyone have any workarounds for this? I heard there are apps out there where you can customize the 1 button control, but I have no knowledge about it. >.<

Thank you guys in advance I really appreciate your time on helping me with this issue.

I know skullcandy makes some that will work. I noticed them at Best buy. They actually said compatible with android and showed an android on them.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Do you know what models? And do those headphones have the 3 buttons? (Volume up, down, and center button)

I know skullcandy makes some that will work. I noticed them at Best buy. They actually said compatible with android and showed an android on them.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
The Galaxy SIII has 3 buttons but I have not read any posts where someone confirmed they actually work on the Nexus.

thelastred

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone!

Htc beats solo or urbeats
Nokia purity ( yes it says windows but works on android it's same set up)

I have the puirty and work on gs3 and gtab 2
All three buttons

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Htc beats solo or urbeats
Nokia purity ( yes it says windows but works on android it's same set up)

I have the puirty and work on gs3 and gtab 2
All three buttons

Those phones have manufacturer tweaks. The question is what works on a plain vanilla Galaxy Nexus. The answer so far appears to be none.

thelastred

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Those phones have manufacturer tweaks. The question is what works on a plain vanilla Galaxy Nexus. The answer so far appears to be none.

It works on Samsung galaxy nexus bc samsung made the phone. The hardware supports it
( the center button on the both work as play/ pause and two other buttons work as skip [rewind and forward])

The company that supports the hardware is
Samsung Sony htc Nokia.

Sg3 the buttons work as volume bc of tweaks
Nexus made by samsung work as skip.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Samsung skinned the S3 with additional features. Hardwarewise, Apple holds a patent on how the headset is wired. That is why volume controls on most headsets only work on the iPhone. Samsung got around it with software, but I have yet to see the volume control on a S3 headset work on a Nexus. The "fix" was to tie it to a long press, but Google killed that option with Jelly Bean. It really is the volume control function that people are looking for.

BTW, double taps on the center button on most headsets will skip tracks on the nexus.

thelastred

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Samsung skinned the S3 with additional features. Hardwarewise, Apple holds a patent on how the headset is wired. That is why volume controls on most headsets only work on the iPhone. Samsung got around it with software, but I have yet to see the volume control on a S3 headset work on a Nexus. The "fix" was to tie it to a long press, but Google killed that option with Jelly Bean. It really is the volume control function that people are looking for.

BTW, double taps on the center button on most headsets will skip tracks on the nexus.

Apple holds a patent on one type of remote headset. Not all htc has 3button wired headset and so does Sony and Nokia (samsung Nokia htc Sony use same hardware wired headset)
But use different software like the nExus line and htc use skip(2end buttons) and play/pause(center). While galaxy Sony and Nokia use it for volume (end buttons)and play/pause(center).
There is limited headset out that will work
htc beats solo and
htc old urbeats
Nokia purity hd
Nokia purity inear

This types of headsets use different Resistors then made for iPhone headphones

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...153738825%26globalID%3DEBAY-US&token=t6uXScN5

I have Nokia purity that work on htc samsung phone
And I have htc urbeats that work on Nokia lumia
(I tested both of them)

Last edited:

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Can someone please confirm that the volume control on Beats works with the Galaxy Nexus (stock Jelly bean)?

thelastred

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Can someone please confirm that the volume control on Beats works with the Galaxy Nexus (stock Jelly bean)?

Here is link on another forum confirming that it works also keep in mind that ibeats there talking
Is urbeats (htc verison)

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/504204-do-ibeats-came-rezound-work-galaxy-nexus.html

Google made so that stock android two end buttons skip
You have root your phone make that two buttons from skip to volume
Also make so that ur using htc urbeats
Or htc solo
Don't use a made for iPhone beats (only the center button will work

Here is a link to both of those headphone on eBay
HTC BEATS SOLO:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...962605964%26globalID%3DEBAY-US&token=GFoIn02F

HTC URBEATS :

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...900660326%26globalID%3DEBAY-US&token=dqAp2zEn

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. The URBEATS are already sold. Also, I do not wish to root my phone. Guess I will have to wait and see if Android comes up with a way around this. I see an ITC judge just ruled Apple's patent for detecting whether a a headset or earphones has been plugged in was not infringed by Samsung. I think that patent also included the media controls circuitry we have been talking about. I'm anxious to see if this goes any further.

Samsung infringed Apple patent on text selection, says ITC judge | PCWorld

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand Apple uses a proprietary method for three button headphones. Everyone else uses a industry standard. But since Apple is the most common manufacturer, headphones companies make their headphones Apple compliant. So anything made for another manufacturer (Nokia Samsung HTC) should work, but it won't work the way Apples' do. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
im using the s3 headsets on my nexus but the keys are set as play/pause, forward, and back. works good for me. i know klipsch has an app that lets you maps the keys.