Should I root my phone?

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm a straight up newbie on rooting a phone. I'm kind of scared to brick my phone or break it somehow. Can anyone please explain the pros and cons of rooting a phone and why I should or should not?
And how easy is it to root a gsm galaxy nexus?

cporier91

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Rooting is for the more experience android user. But its not hard. I would YouTube a video out there to help you. I'm a visual learner and it helped me. The pros are there are a lot of fast Roms that are a lot faster than stock jellybean and way more customizable, allowing you to have superuser access. Its a personal choice if you feel comfortable enough to flash a custom recovery and ROM its up to you. You will get a better user experience IMO.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
What exactly is a ROM?
Rooting is for the more experience android user. But its not hard. I would YouTube a video out there to help you. I'm a visual learner and it helped me. The pros are there are a lot of fast Roms that are a lot faster than stock jellybean and way more customizable, allowing you to have superuser access. Its a personal choice if you feel comfortable enough to flash a custom recovery and ROM its up to you. You will get a better user experience IMO.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

sadiqsamm

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I was at your level two months back. Now I have unlocked, flashed recovery, rooted and tried a couple of roms. I I personally think if one is being careful he can give it a try. I mean we all have to start somewhere. Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
There's really not a lot of point in rooting the GSM G-Nex, IMHO, unless you really feel the urge to tweak certain things (such as overclocking the CPU) via custom ROMs and kernels. You're already getting the latest vanilla updates from Google before everyone else.

But rooting generally isn't that hard. I've rooted Android devices in the past, but it was mostly to get those devices closer to a "stock" Android experience without 3rd-party UIs and carrier bloatware. But again, these are non-issues on the GSM G-Nex, so I don't imagine going down this road myself yet.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
There's really not a lot of point in rooting the GSM G-Nex, IMHO, unless you really feel the urge to tweak certain things (such as overclocking the CPU) via custom ROMs and kernels. You're already getting the latest vanilla updates from Google before everyone else.
I'm also a newbie and had to root my Galaxy Nexus to do backups of my phone using Titanium Backup and NRT v1.5.3. Very happy I did it. If I had not needed these programs I probably wouldn't have rooted it. Now I discover that a just installed anti-theft app called Cerberus offers extra features on a rooted phone.
Pete

Last edited:

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that Stock JB is one of the best experiences out there. For most that will be fine. Rooting and Roming is not necessary but it sure cane be fun and very addictive. Is it for everyone?...No it isn't. Is it easy? that depends. There are plenty of step by step tutorials (some of the best right here on AC). Also there are one step programs that will do it also. It all depends on how much you want to get involved. I will say it does give you more options as to what is possible.

For now give stock JB a try. Read up and take your time the Rom's will still be here waiting when you are ready.

Phazenine

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Rooting is the best thing about Android. An unrooted android phone is really limited in comparison

Tapped from my (i9250) Galaxy Nexus via Tapatalkz

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349399162699.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349399162699.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 42

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I used to be very active with rooting and romming my phones. But I have come to realize that it is just more of a hassle than anything else. I got tired of constantly having to set my phone up. I also realized that there really weren't too many reasons for me to need root access. There's nothing I do with my phone on a regular basis that I can't do on stock. Especially with jelly bean I don't have any desire to root or rom right now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I used to be very active with rooting and romming my phones. But I have come to realize that it is just more of a hassle than anything else. I got tired of constantly having to set my phone up. I also realized that there really weren't too many reasons for me to need root access. There's nothing I do with my phone on a regular basis that I can't do on stock. Especially with jelly bean I don't have any desire to root or rom right now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I basically decided to root for one reason and that is to use Titanium Backup. As a bonus I can also use NRT to make Nandroid backups.
Pete

mocelet

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I think backups would be my only reason to root, I'm more than happy with the performance of stock Jelly Bean and I got quite tired of trying different ROMs in the HTC Desire to fix something and break another...

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
My Galaxy Nexus is the first phone I've had since my pocket pc 6700 that I didn't rom within the first three months.

That said, I did root to use Titanium Backup. It's saved my ass a few times when my phone magically factory reset itself due to a a mix up with the security settings for my job's exchange client.

Either way, read, research, and read some more both here and at XDA before you try to do anything that WILL void your warranty. If you can't read a thread and understand the jargon, ie what's a rom/bootloader/cache, then you probably aren't ready yet.

Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I got my Gnex in April. I went from "I don't want to root for the first year, so I don't kill the warranty" to "Hmm, some of these custom ROMs sound interesting..." to "If I'm gonna use a ROM I guess I need to read up on rooting" to "well, I have a free saturday, so I've got all day to figure this rooting thing out". That sequence happened in about 2 months. And the Gnex was my first Android device.

I used Wugg's Toolkit to root. Yeah, for some people, it's cheating by not using ADB commands but hey, it was pretty simple. The hardest part was getting the correct drivers -- believe me, this was frustrating! But after that it was much simpler.

Before you go any further, read the forums, read some of the excellent articles that have been posted, and then decide for yourself. Personally, I don't NEED to be rooted but I do like to tinker so for me it was a natural progression. It's just another level of stuff to play with.

And as a side note, from what I've read (and my own experience backs it up) if you have a Nexus and you can turn it on, it's NOT bricked. Mind you, there might be exceptions to the rule, but that might help but your mind at ease

Bears

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Rooting is the best thing about Android. An unrooted android phone is really limited in comparison

Tapped from my (i9250) Galaxy Nexus via Tapatalkz

This this this.

Custom ROMs are where it's at. I haven't really found the need to overclock, but I love flashing new ROMs. AOKP JB 4 is so far, fantastic.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
This this this.

Custom ROMs are where it's at. I haven't really found the need to overclock, but I love flashing new ROMs. AOKP JB 4 is so far, fantastic.
I recently purchased the gsm Galaxy Nexus from Google.com. Are there any ROMs that might be of interest to me? It was my understanding that the Galaxy Nexus would always have the latest ROM, but not sure what variations are available.
Pete

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I recently purchased the gsm Galaxy Nexus from Google.com. Are there any ROMs that might be of interest to me? It was my understanding that the Galaxy Nexus would always have the latest ROM, but not sure what variations are available.
Pete

There are TONS of custom ROMs out for the gnex, you certainly have one of the best devices ever for custom development.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

randyw

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Rooting a Android phone can open the door to so many different possibility's. It's not even funny. Custom Rom's are fun and depending on what you choose to run, totally customizable in so many ways. Flashing Rom's can also become habit forming. BUT! Make sure you do your homework before attempting any of this. Do some research and learn about what you are doing to your device. Too many people go into it blind and you can brick your phone if not careful. I read up on Rooting for about 2 months before I felt confident enough to try it myself. But if you chose to do it always remember rule #1. Always back up your device in case something does happen! And have fun!

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
There are TONS of custom ROMs out for the gnex, you certainly have one of the best devices ever for custom development.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks. Do you have a link where they describe what ROMs are available? I did flash my stock ROM back to my Gnex using NRT v1.5.3 so guess I wouldn't be taking any greater risk using a different ROM. I wanted to start with a clean slate and test restoring from my backups. Titanium Backup sure made that easy. Even the home screens came back. I just started using Titanium Media Sync to automate the backup of my sdcard to PC. I'm trying to organize things to be 'set & forget'!
Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair