Nano sim working in Galaxy Nexus unlocked GSM

bmsyko

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering anyone out there purchase a iPhone 5 AT&T swap the sim into a GNEX. Did you need an adapter? Could you just seat the sim without an adapter which you could do with a micro sim(that worked perfect, without adapter) Or has anyone cut your micro sim down to a Nano sim get it to work in your iPhone 5? If you have tried either of these please post your experience. Interested in knowing if you get the new speeds of LTE or will you be slowed to 3G/H+

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering anyone out there purchase a iPhone 5 AT&T swap the sim into a GNEX. Did you need an adapter? Could you just seat the sim without an adapter which you could do with a micro sim(that worked perfect, without adapter) Or has anyone cut your micro sim down to a Nano sim get it to work in your iPhone 5?

You shouldn't need an adapter, but it's highly advised. Not only is a Nano SIM drastically smaller than the Mini (standard) SIM, but it's also thinner. The SIM tray in the GNex isn't designed to hold anything smaller, and surely isn't designed to hold anything thinner. Just buy an adapter on Amazon for a few $$, they're already making them in expectation of the iPhone 5's launch with the Nano SIM. You can usually get a kit that has a proper SIM cutter to turn Mini SIMs into Micro SIMs also, if you need that kinda thing.

As far as cutting down a Mini/Micro SIM into a Nano SIM size, as I noted earlier you'll need to shave the SIM down to a thinner profile, which is quite a bit more work and more risky than just cutting the surrounding cardboard off of it. If you plan on switching regularly between an iPhone 5 and another device, I suggest you get AT&T to provision you a Nano SIM (they'll be more than happy to), and then just use an adapter to put it in your Galaxy Nexus (or any other device). The adapters work, and will bring the Nano up to the proper thickness as well as let it seat properly into a larger tray.

If you have tried either of these please post your experience. Interested in knowing if you get the new speeds of LTE or will you be slowed to 3G/H+

The GSM Galaxy Nexus does not have an LTE radio. Period. Nothing you do will ever get you LTE speeds on this device :) .

bmsyko

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Yes I know the GNEX only has 3G. I was talking about if I keep the micro sim I now have that I swap between my iPhone 4 and Gnex if I cut that down and use it in an unlock iPhone 5 would that mirco sim from the iphone 4 slow the iPhone 5 down, or does the sim card have little to do with the speed of the radio in the phone?

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
You have a two fold problem here. First, the micro-SIM you have from the iPhone 4 is not provisioned for LTE access. So if you were able to get the micro-SIM to fit you won't get LTE. You will need a new SIM. I already went through this earlier this year when I got a Lumia 900. I tried to use the micro-SIM from my iPhone 4 and wasn't getting LTE. I then activated the Lumia with the micro-SIM it came with, but still no LTE. Second problem, your data plan is not an LTE data plan. I called AT&T, that's what they told me and they put me on the new data plan and viola! LTE lit after rebooting the Lumia.

So you should probably just get a nano-SIM and an adapter. Like Andrew said the new nano-SIM is not only smaller but thinner as well. So it may not work without an adapter in the GNex unlike the micro-SIM. And the micro-SIM may actually be too thick to fit into the iPhone 5 even after being cut down around the edges.

bmsyko

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys got an adapter for GNEX to use the nano sum from the iPhone 5 but I'm only getting talk but no data. I thought the data speeds would just drop down to 3G speeds anyone know y I'm not getting data?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok guys got an adapter for GNEX to use the nano sum from the iPhone 5 but I'm only getting talk but no data. I thought the data speeds would just drop down to 3G speeds anyone know y I'm not getting data?

Either you have an APN problem (likely) or AT&T isn't properly provisioning you SIM (less, but still likely).

alexyoshiad

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I just inserted the AT&T iphone 5's nano sim to the unlocked Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 with a SIM adapter, with
APN:wap.cingular
Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password:CINGULAR1
and have no problem using 3G data. (One note: my area does not have AT&T's LTE service yet, hopefully we're getting it in November.)

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I just inserted the AT&T iphone 5's nano sim to the unlocked Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 with a SIM adapter, with
APN:wap.cingular
Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password:CINGULAR1
and have no problem using 3G data. (One note: my area does not have AT&T's LTE service yet, hopefully we're getting it in November.)

That's the wrong APN. That APN will only give you GPRS data (slowest possible), as the name suggests.

chrisnofear

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello again, apparently the data plans for IPhone 5 and other smartphones is different on AT&T. There is no APN that will make the Nexus receive data from the IPhone 5 nano sim. Just an FYI. Thanks for trying....

efrommel13

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Confirmed Working In the S3 with the "Phone" APN and the iphone 5 nano sim. :) in att plus LTE woot woot

PS: not using adapter just putting the sim aligned correctly.

Name: Any name
APN: phone
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type:
APN type: default,mms,supl

mildshot

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I just did this, plunk in an att iphone 5 sim card into an att samsung galaxy s3, and changed my apn settings as the above post stated and i have my voice and LTE working fine!

Thanks for those APN settings!

- - - Updated - - -

That's the wrong APN. That APN will only give you GPRS data (slowest possible), as the name suggests.

Actually I get LTE on my att samsung galaxy S3 with those very same APN settings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz