JB OTA not installing on VZW GN. Need help

qnztrancejunkie

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm a noob and can use a hand.

I'm rooted and can't even install the OTA. As it starts to install after about 10 seconds it automatically loads up in CWM. Then it asks me if I want to install and untrusted zip. I click ok, and then after about another 10 seconds, it give me an error message while still in cmw and that it's canceled the install.

What am I doing wrong?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
First, I'd like to direct you to our Verizon Galaxy Nexus forums, as these forums are devoted to the GSM Galaxy Nexus.

That aside, let me shed some light on your question that can hopefully help! You will never be able to accept and auto-install an OTA when you have any custom recovery (like CWM) installed! The OTA package (rightfully) assumes that you have a stock phone. Removing/modifying any part of the stock shipping image, such as the bootloader, recovery, radio or any system files means that the OTA doesn't know how to properly install. You should thank Google for not letting it install, as you'd likely run into many more problems if the OTA just tried to install no matter what.

If you'd like to keep CWM and install the Jelly Bean OTA, you'll have to download (from the forums) the package and flash it in CWM yourself manually, removing the script in the OTA that re-flashes stock recovery (or just re-flashing CWM after install, both work). But as I said, if you've changed anything else such as the radios or system files (like using root to remove/change system apps), the update will likely throw an error at you and it won't install.

qnztrancejunkie

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Where do I find the script your talking about when I download it from the forums. I did download it and tried to flash it but I keep getting that error. I'm sure your spot on the problem, but I just need a little guidance on what the script looks like and I'll give it a shot

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Where do I find the script your talking about when I download it from the forums. I did download it and tried to flash it but I keep getting that error. I'm sure your spot on the problem, but I just need a little guidance on what the script looks like and I'll give it a shot

I'll suggest that you do some reading before attempting anything further. Remember, knowledge is power!

You should take a look at this: Manually update your Verizon Galaxy Nexus to the official Jelly Bean build | Android Central

And continue your search/questions/process in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus forums where similar users can help you out :D .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon