No dialpad option while making a phonecall

onetelguam

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus with android 4.1.1. but every time i make a call i cant find a dial pad option. its there when before i make the call but during a call i cant seem to find it. so i cant use phone cards, enter my voice mail password, enter extensions, etc... if anyone out there knows where to find it please let me know.

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I had to take a moment to find it, but it's there. It looks like 10 little squares on the left, located under the red hang up bar. Enjoy JB and keep smiling!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

heresy_fnord

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Screenshot_2012-10-02-09-28-50.png

Hit the white squares icon on the lower left as you can see in my screenshot. I actually already pressed it so you can see the dialpad up during a call. Press it again to get rid of the dialpad.

CalvinV

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
My problem is worse with the Nexus 4. After I dial, the whole screen turns black. I have to queue the password in order to get to the voice mail but I can't deal with any voicemail options after that since there is nothing on the screen for me to press. Is there a solution to this ? Thanks.

CalvinV

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
The screen should reappear when you hold the phone straight up. It dims when slanted during a call.

The screen goes completely black after a connection is made with the Nexus 4. I tried holding it straight up and it made no difference. I read a fairly-detailed CNET article which showed an option to keep the dialpad displayed during a call. However, that call option is missing on my Nexus 4 (with the latest updates).

Here's the CNET article I talked about:

How to display the dial pad on the Droid X | How To - CNET

It would have been the perfect soluton, except that it does not exist on the Nexus 4.

Last edited:

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the call settings on my Galaxy Nexus either.

The screen goes completely black after a connection is made with the Nexus 4.
How do you hang up a call then? When I take the phone away from my ear and hold it straight up it stops dimming. What if you tap the power button like you would to wake the phone up?

CalvinV

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I hang up the phone by powering off :(. There's a setup option to do that.

Before I set the option to use the power button to disconnect the call, when I tap the power button, the dial pad comes up for about 2 seconds, enough for me to push two keys, before disappearing again so it was not useful. After I set the option to use the power button to disconnect, any slight tap on that button will disconnect.

It's hard to believe that the Nexus 4 has this basic problem. Almost all businesses have the interactive response systems these days, this makes the phone incapable of calling any customer support numbers. I installed Screebl but it only helps with the timeout, not this deliberate in-call screen-off.

I ordered a cheap Made-in-China Android phone mainly to experiment with it to see how good/badly it works. However, I might end up using the cheap phone instead if it does not have this serious problem. I make a lot of international calls using the calling cards and, although I can work around the problem by concatenating two phone numbers with a pause, it's inconvenient. And I can't deal with my voice mail box which uses an interactive response system (I can concatenate the password to listen to the voice mail but cannot delete it later when prompted)

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like something is blocking your proximity sensor at the top corner of your phone. I don't know where exactly it is for the Nexus 4,but on the Galaxy Nexus it's the top right corner of the phone, but to the left of the front camera; it's to the right of the earpiece.

Do you have a screen protector or a case on your phone? Was it, or were they, perhaps put on incorrectly, mistakenly covering even slightly the proximity sensor up top? I find the proximity sensor to be somewhat sensitive on android, though I prefer it over a dud one. It's supposed to turn the screen off when the phone's too close to something, whether it's your face, or even if a finger gets in front of it for a mere .05 seconds when on a call.

It may sound dumb or too basic, but that's my suggestion. When on a phone call, the sensor's sensitivity seems to increase substantially. Though like I said, it's kind of a good thing usually. Check Google where your sensor is and see if it's somehow blocked during your calls.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
You're welcome! Glad I could help out. Now all you gotta do is rip that one off your phone and replace it with a more fitting one specifically for the Nexus 4. That's a cheap fix! :)