Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default best gsm prepaid plan for my gnex?

Hi I Recently got my unlocked gnex and i activated with net10 att .i did a lot of speed test and the maximum i got its 3.6mb(Its to low for a hspa+) i want to Know what is the best prepaid plan or if their is a config to get fastest data.pd: i use a lot of data so the prepaid plan most be unlimited.thanKs

Default Re: best gsm prepaid plan for my gnex?

Well Net10 runs on AT&T, and the other prepaid plans either run on AT&T or T-Mobile (so switching to a different provider that uses AT&T won't matter). Any of the prepaid providers on AT&T will run effectively the same speed as your current setup. Speeds are dependent on many factors, including (but not limited to) your location, network saturation, signal strength and time of day... The Galaxy Nexus is a 21mbps HSPA+ device, so the best real-world speeds you should expect are maybe ~9mbps unless you're standing right next to a tower. ~3mbps during the day on AT&T is completely normal if you're in a metropolitan/suburban area. I usually get about 2-2.5mbps on Straight Talk AT&T (same company as Net10).

T-Mobile's "Monthly 4G" Prepaid plans often offer higher speeds, but do not have as good of a network footprint as the AT&T-based prepaid carriers. That's the tradeoff. Their plans have up to 5GB of full speed data, then you're throttled to 2G for the remainder of the billing period. http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Im looking for unlimited because i use a lot of data but T-Mobile 30$ would be great if i had wifi.how about tmobile provider like simple mobile or straight talk T-Mobile sim

Quote Originally Posted by urias13 View Post
    Im looking for unlimited because i use a lot of data but T-Mobile 30$ would be great if i had wifi.how about tmobile provider like simple mobile or straight talk T-Mobile sim
    The speeds and coverage will be the same as T-Mobile's own Prepaid plans. Both Straight Talk and Simple Mobile (which was just purchased by Straight Talk) will not be giving you a lot of data. Not sure what you consider "a lot", but I wouldn't expect them to offer you over 3GB of data per month. They both say "unlimited", but they reserve the right to cut you off if they think you're using more than the average user or you're adversely affecting the network. For many people, that level lands in the 2GB to 4GB range.

If you need to keep using 10's of GB of data, you need to look into T-Mobile's Value Plans, which although have a 2-year contract, are a great value and offer truly unthrottled uncapped data.

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

^^ home boy knows his sh#t!! Basically unless your rite near a tower and decent signal your going to get downgraded speeds as be stated ^^ I hate to say it they all throttle there is no such thing as unlimited data for a smart phone they say it cost them too much so after 2-3 gig in t-mos case 5 your throttled the only unlimited data is grand fathered plans even then your throttled after a point Verizon has liquidated them and all carriers even pre paid offerings will throttle unlimited speed unlimited data is a ghost .. the only good offering for a speed junkie is a gigantic wallet and lte other than that nope

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM
    Last edited by cyanogen-man; 10-03-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

True. im going to try T-Mobile 30$ plan with google voice and when im gonna download or update a app
    from my neighbor wifi lol.thanks guys for the suggestion but if anybody want to give any suggestion I will appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by urias13 View Post
    True. im going to try T-Mobile 30$ plan with google voice and when im gonna download or update a app
    from my neighbor wifi lol.thanks guys for the suggestion but if anybody want to give any suggestion I will appreciate.
    Remember that Google Voice by default isn't a VOIP service, it uses your plan's minutes. To add to that, current VOIP solutions (like GrooVe IP and Talkatone) that do a backdoor roundabout to offer VOIP via Google Voice are not reliable or high quality.

Also, I doubt that downloading/updating apps is a large portion of your data usage... if you're regularly busting over 5GB per month, its likely due to something like media streaming or photo downloads/uploads, not apps.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I use pandora .sometimes watch videos on youtube and a lot gaming and uploading in dropbox

---------- Post Merged at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Actually i got 1 week in net 10 and i use 6.3gb of data and they didnt cut my data jet

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android Jelly Bean

I use pandora .sometimes watch videos on youtube and a lot gaming and uploading in dropbox
    Given the mobile data usage you're describing, you're probably not going to be too happy with prepaid. You can try it for a while (like the $30 T-Mobile plan you mentioned), but like Andrew was saying, the $69.99 Value Plan at T-Mobile will probably serve you much better in the long stretch, provided you find T-Mo's coverage acceptable in your area.

Andrew,
    If you've used StraightTalk, have you run into problems with streaming anything?

Per StraightTalk's Terms and Conditions of Service:

6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

http://www.straighttalk.com/controll...t.static.terms

Quote Originally Posted by .46caliber View Post
    Andrew,
    If you've used StraightTalk, have you run into problems with streaming anything?

http://www.straighttalk.com/controll...t.static.terms
    ST writes their ToS very broadly because although they offer "unlimited" data, they'd like to have the option of legally kicking you off the service if they deem your use to be abusive to the network. Basically this means that they have a bunch of asterisk BS written in that they can claim you're violating.

I don't worry about it and I'd say you don't need to either. Keep your data usage modest (under 3GB or so monthly depending on your location) and you'll be fine. If it turns out there's a lot of traffic in your area on their network and they warn you sooner, maybe another prepaid carrier is better for you. Good thing is that you're not locked into anything and you can move next month without issues.

To answer your question more directly, I've not had any issues streaming music or sports or anything. I've tethered to my computer and all of that. Haven't changed my usage at all since going to ST.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Thanks for the response. I've also found SIMple Mobile, but their TOS are different. They use T-Mo's network by virtue of the band they say you need for 4G (HSPA+). With StraightTalk (ATT version) do you get an HSPA+ connection?

SIMPLE Mobile | Terms & Conditions

I'm typically just a hair over 2GB every month, but if I move to a prepaid GSM and probably pick up a Nexus, I'm thinking that I'll be streaming from Google Music.

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

Yes ST ATT uses HSPA+

Quote Originally Posted by .46caliber View Post
    Thanks for the response. I've also found SIMple Mobile, but their TOS are different. They use T-Mo's network by virtue of the band they say you need for 4G (HSPA+). With StraightTalk (ATT version) do you get an HSPA+ connection?

SIMPLE Mobile | Terms & Conditions

I'm typically just a hair over 2GB every month, but if I move to a prepaid GSM and probably pick up a Nexus, I'm thinking that I'll be streaming from Google Music.
    Straight Talk gives you HSPA+ also. You choose at the time of purchase whether you want to use T-Mobile or AT&T, your choice. Its nice because the Galaxy Nexus supports frequencies for 3G on both.

I use AT&T straight talk on my galaxy note. Great speeds with hspa+ I use roughly 3-4gb per month and haven't had any issues. Even if I did have to use under 3gb per month it'd would be worth the $50 saving a month to cut back on a little YouTube and pandora

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

"True. im going to try T-Mobile 30$ plan with google voice and when im gonna download or update a app
    from my neighbor wifi lol.thanks guys for the suggestion but if anybody want to give any suggestion I will appreciate."

My Nexus is on this plan through Wally World and T-Mobile. It has its shortcomings. I have only been trying this into my 2nd month now and may switch to Straight Talk, which would mean paying another $20. I have a work cell phone which is on Nextel. I make nearly all of my voice calls using the work phone. The $30 prepay plan only provides 100 minutes of voice calls so this really doesn't hamper me. I was on vacation the first week of October and was out fishing on Lake Erie six days out of nine days off. My Nexus through T-Mobile had service when 10 miles out on the lake north of Huron, Ohio when my Nextel had no service at all, so this was one of the rare times I used my Nexus to make voice calls.

The bad: when I went to northern Michigan over Labor Day weekend to an area 25 miles east of Traverse City I had good bars but it was roaming. I could not make any voice calls using my Nexus and also could not get enough data exchange to do anything other than send texts. I found out after the fact that on T-Mobile's prepaid plans, you can not make phone calls when in Roam. This stinks, quite frankly. My work cell phone was still functional so I was able to make voice calls but the nearly complete shut down of the Nexus capabilities due to being in Roam I found very dissatisfying. I had hoped to be able to have internet access and didn't. My daughter and her hubby came up on Sunday and brought a Verizon mifi with them and then I could get internet access. Had my Nexus been on Straight Talk (the area has good AT&T service) I think my Nexus would have been OK.