Port Old cell # to Google Voice successfully?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i've read the Google Voice q/a's & help forums--
and i know that it states "current cell number" for whatever reason--
i went to test this & put in my old cell number which everyone knows, and it says it could be successfully ported.

my question is this:
has anyone ever ported their old canceled contract-cell phone number successfully to Google Voice?

my cancelation has been within 45 days (of officially going PrePaid) and i'm willing to take a $20 bath on this if it doesn't work--and who knows, get a refund since it didn't work--
but i didn't know if anyone has actually tried it and failed.

once again--i know it states "current cell number", but the "able to be ported" text gives me a little bit of hope.

thoughts?

bloo0153

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I am not understanding your situation but if you canceled your cell phone plan and gave up your number it's not yours to port anymore. You'd need to reactivate you old service, if the number is still available, and then port.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
you're correct.
spoke with a VZW agent about 15 minutes after posting this--and was told that "after 60 days, the number is lost"--only striking a bit of curiosity in my part since i stated it had been 60 days since i canceled service.
either way, oh well.
tried getting a pay-by-day plan but they stated they're unable to place the old 'desired' number back onto my plan--even though it's still available for grabs.

blast it all.

bloo0153

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
You could try to activate a new line with a prepaid carrier. Perhaps they'd be able to use your old number since it's available. You could then port it to Google Voice.