Google needs to take a lesson from Apple

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but I wanted to say it...

If only Google would take a look at Apple. Why can't Google build their own iPhone? The Nexus could quickly bring android and Google to par (in consumers eyes) with Apple and iOS if only they would build their own phone. I know they are now, but they're not being consistent. If they would pick ONE manufacturer to build the phones and keep them pure ANdroid, no carrier crAp, just like the iPhone. Also, all updates straight through Google no updates to the manufacture. Just like Apple on the iPhone.

The one thing apple has going for it is the phones, released just once a year, are essentially the same in build. Meaning cases and docks will work each year for the new phone. Why can t google do the same? Something like that would Definitely bring me back to the android fold.

Just a few thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

osirhc

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Well Google did recently aquire Motorola so they will essentially be making their own phones soon. It may end up like you said soon depending how Google plays it.

Sent from my LT28at using Android Central Forums

imneveral0ne

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
The gsm galaxy nexus gets their updates straight from Google and has no carrier bloat. Only sprint and Verizon had to screw up the nexus like that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

If only Google would take a look at Apple. Why can't Google build their own iPhone? The Nexus could quickly bring android and Google to par (in consumers eyes) with Apple and iOS if only they would build their own phone. I know they are now, but they're not being consistent. If they would pick ONE manufacturer to build the phones and keep them pure ANdroid, no carrier crAp, just like the iPhone. Also, all updates straight through Google no updates to the manufacture. Just like Apple on the iPhone.

The one thing apple has going for it is the phones, released just once a year, are essentially the same in build. Meaning cases and docks will work each year for the new phone. Why can t google do the same? Something like that would Definitely bring me back to the android fold.

Just a few thoughts.

But then what happens to choice, a major advantage of the Android platform?

Double-edged sword.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Well Google making its own headline phone once a year doesn't mean they're going to stop other OEMs from making them.

Exactly! Let the other manufacturers continue, but Google needs to make a staple device. A premium device that will allow the aftermarket to cater to it as they do the iphone. A device that will essentially go unchanged design wise so docks and such will work from year to year. They need to make it a dang good built phone as well. From what I have seen and heard, the current Nexus is cheap feeling and has a very weak radio. Not knocking it per se, just stating what I have seen and heard.

'Google will need to be strict, like Apple, and dictate to the carriers no bloatware, no UI other than plain vanilla android and all updates straight from Google, no carrier crap.

If Google will do that I will sell my iphone in a heartbeat and come back to Android.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
But, from what I've read, they're going the opposite way. Multiple Nexii, from multiple OEMs. All different in style, but all conforming to Google's standard for hardware compatibility with pure Android software. Choice, market share, dominance. This has already propelled Android past Apple in phone sales, and almost 50% in the tablet market, which was owned by Apple only a year ago.

Why, oh why, would they now implement the very process that has put Apple in second place?

Maybe you should stick with iPhones.

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Exactly! Let the other manufacturers continue, but Google needs to make a staple device. A premium device that will allow the aftermarket to cater to it as they do the iphone. A device that will essentially go unchanged design wise so docks and such will work from year to year. They need to make it a dang good built phone as well. From what I have seen and heard, the current Nexus is cheap feeling and has a very weak radio. Not knocking it per se, just stating what I have seen and heard.

'Google will need to be strict, like Apple, and dictate to the carriers no bloatware, no UI other than plain vanilla android and all updates straight from Google, no carrier crap.

If Google will do that I will sell my iphone in a heartbeat and come back to Android.

Last I checked, they have been making their own premium devices.

Nexus One
Nexus S
Galaxy Nexus

What Google needs to do is play the carrier game too. It started with the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. But if they want to explode in the US right now, they have to sell their phones through carriers.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But, from what I've read, they're going the opposite way. Multiple Nexii, from multiple OEMs. All different in style, but all conforming to Google's standard for hardware compatibility with pure Android software. Choice, market share, dominance. This has already propelled Android past Apple in phone sales, and almost 50% in the tablet market, which was owned by Apple only a year ago.

Why, oh why, would they now implement the very process that has put Apple in second place?

Maybe you should stick with iPhones.

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

Sure, in terms of marketshare. But profitability is a key factor here too. In the Android space, everyone but Samsung breaks even.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
What Google needs to do is play the carrier game too. It started with the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. But if they want to explode in the US right now, they have to sell their phones through carriers.

Tough spot though. Google bringing the Galaxy Nexus to Verizon has been nothing short of an extreme headache.

Google needs to make the Nexus available day 1 in the USA unlocked directly from the Play Store, make it price competitive (like ~$449 to $499 unlocked), and market the crap out of it. Considering more and more people are moving to value/prepaid plans and bringing their own devices, they could actually make some decent sales. Playing to the carriers isn't something that they have to do to be successful, they just need to make people want the device and understand the value proposition of having a true "Google phone". Remember, people buy iPhones at full unlocked price in the millions every single year.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Tough spot though. Google bringing the Galaxy Nexus to Verizon has been nothing short of an extreme headache.

Google needs to make the Nexus available day 1 in the USA unlocked directly from the Play Store, make it price competitive (like ~$449 to $499 unlocked), and market the crap out of it. Considering more and more people are moving to value/prepaid plans and bringing their own devices, they could actually make some decent sales. Playing to the carriers isn't something that they have to do to be successful, they just need to make people want the device and understand the value proposition of having a true "Google phone". Remember, people buy iPhones at full unlocked price in the millions every single year.

I don't think U.S. consumers are ready to give up on subsidized pricing though.

Where are you getting the "people buy iPhones at full unlocked price in the millions every single year." stat from?

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I currently like what Google is doing with Android. We get one Nexus device every year that all the purists clamor for and the other manufacturers make Android devices with their own skins to give even more options. I wouldn't like to see them make a Nexus phone that is the same year after year. I like being excites to see what the next Nexus is going to be like and what manufacturer is going to have it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well Google did recently aquire Motorola so they will essentially be making their own phones soon. It may end up like you said soon depending how Google plays it.

Sent from my LT28at using Android Central Forums

Google has been consistent in their position thus far regarding Motorola Mobility having to bid for the contract to make the Nexus. That could change, but so far it hasn't.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't think U.S. consumers are ready to give up on subsidized pricing though.

Where are you getting the "people buy iPhones at full unlocked price in the millions every single year." stat from?

Apple sells the iPhone unlocked on its website directly every year, and sales keep going up. Its obviously small compared to the tens of millions they sell every quarter on the carriers at subsidized prices (but also remember many people buy from the carriers at full price off contract), but my point is that Apple sells more unlocked phones to the US than people would think. Unlocked/prepaid devices don't have to be cheap.

Its all about framing it properly and getting the value proposition there. If people understand the message and decide that they want the high-end true Google experience device, they'll pay extra up front for it and use it on a prepaid or value plan. You've got to remember there are carriers like Straight Talk, Simple Mobile and Net10 that have somewhere to the tune of ~30 million subscribers together, not to mention T-Mobile's huge prepaid presence. Those are all people who are used to buying full priced handsets and using them with separate plans.

Bears

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site

Just a few thoughts.

Man, I have asked myself this a million times. I would buy a Google made and supported phone in a heartbeat when it came to Android. Before I moved into the rooting world, I hated waiting for Verizon to release updates. I wouldn't even care if they released 1 phone per year. As long as it had top notch specs and build at its time.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Apple sells the iPhone unlocked on its website directly every year, and sales keep going up. Its obviously small compared to the tens of millions they sell every quarter on the carriers at subsidized prices (but also remember many people buy from the carriers at full price off contract), but my point is that Apple sells more unlocked phones to the US than people would think. Unlocked/prepaid devices don't have to be cheap.

Its all about framing it properly and getting the value proposition there. If people understand the message and decide that they want the high-end true Google experience device, they'll pay extra up front for it and use it on a prepaid or value plan. You've got to remember there are carriers like Straight Talk, Simple Mobile and Net10 that have somewhere to the tune of ~30 million subscribers together, not to mention T-Mobile's huge prepaid presence. Those are all people who are used to buying full priced handsets and using them with separate plans.

But do you have any sales numbers to backup what you're saying? I don't believe any figures released that sort of sales info so the "people buy iPhones at full unlocked price in the millions every single year" is simply an assumption. In the overall scheme of things, I think the ratio that buy their iPhones on-contract vs. those that buy them off-contract is likely 25 to 1, maybe even higher. But I'm basing that on my experiences as I only know of two people personally that have purchased an iPhone off-contract.

Re: Straight Talk, Simple Mobile, & Net10 - their subscribers may be used to paying full-price for their handsets but what handsets are they buying? Feature phones? Are they buying new, or bringing a used device in?\

Prepaid is definitely the area that has the potential for a lot of growth, but I doubt there will be a rush to take the highest of the high-end there.

And another thing helping the iPhone - retail presence. There are way more places that people can test an iPhone out. Apple Store, chains like Best Buy and Walmart, and the carrier store for every carrier.

The Nexus One had no retail presence. In terms of sales, in all honesty, it was a flop.
The Nexus S had Sprint (Nexus S 4G) and Best Buy (Nexus S for AT&T). In terms of sales, it wasn't anything special.
The Galaxy Nexus has Best Buy, Walmart, Verizon, and Sprint. I'd love to see a comparison of sales between the Play Store and the Verizon model.

U.S. consumers are not ready to give up the subsidized model.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Man, I have asked myself this a million times. I would buy a Google made and supported phone in a heartbeat when it came to Android. Before I moved into the rooting world, I hated waiting for Verizon to release updates. I wouldn't even care if they released 1 phone per year. As long as it had top notch specs and build at its time.

Are you saying the Nexus One, Nexus S, and Galaxy Nexus weren't Google made and supported?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae