Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
HTC, Samsung, Samsung google supported not made

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

And the Nexus 7 is made by ASUS.

Google really doesn't manufacture any hardware. It makes more sense right now for them to team up with a partner who's already making Android devices.

Unless they make a smartphone equivalent of a Microsoft Surface.

It really comes down to the question of whether or not Google should close Android and keep it all in-house.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
And the Nexus 7 is made by ASUS.

Google really doesn't manufacture any hardware. It makes more sense right now for them to team up with a partner who's already making Android devices.

Unless they make a smartphone equivalent of a Microsoft Surface.

It really comes down to the question of whether or not Google should close Android and keep it all in-house.

Wasnt trying to be mean bro just a heads up lol right now I think Google is missing out on the fact they have a real chance to step up androids game with moto and really provide a super experience using moto as a strong software hardware collision I think the issue is offending their other android partners just my thoughts

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Wasnt trying to be mean bro just a heads up lol right now I think Google is missing out on the fact they have a real chance to step up androids game with moto and really provide a super experience using moto as a strong software hardware collision I think the issue is offending their other android partners just my thoughts

That is the exact issue, "bro".

But at the end of the day, it isn't really about Android. It's about Google wanting to know everything about you. Google wants your data. Google wants you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Exactly! Let the other manufacturers continue, but Google needs to make a staple device. A premium device that will allow the aftermarket to cater to it as they do the iphone. A device that will essentially go unchanged design wise so docks and such will work from year to year. They need to make it a dang good built phone as well. From what I have seen and heard, the current Nexus is cheap feeling and has a very weak radio. Not knocking it per se, just stating what I have seen and heard.

'Google will need to be strict, like Apple, and dictate to the carriers no bloatware, no UI other than plain vanilla android and all updates straight from Google, no carrier crap.

If Google will do that I will sell my iphone in a heartbeat and come back to Android.

I have a Sprint GNex and it doesn't feel cheap or weak. I even carry it naked. Also, your wrong about carrier bloatware. The only place I see anything to do with Sprint on my phone is the back battery cover. Pure ICS when I got it...pure JB since it was updated. What GNex have you seen?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a Sprint GNex and it doesn't feel cheap or weak. I even carry it naked. Also, your wrong about carrier bloatware. The only place I see anything to do with Sprint on my phone is the back battery cover. Pure ICS when I got it...pure JB since it was updated. What GNex have you seen?

The Verizon one ships with two Verizon apps.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The Verizon one ships with two Verizon apps.

Leave it to Verizon to mess with perfection. Well, vanilla android was the reason I chose the GNex. I'm not interested in touch wiz or sense. Neither Sprint NASCAR apps and such.
I also think Google doesn't pursue the nexus brand as we would like them to because it isn't in demand among a large base of people. Of course, us tech saavy people want one but the average consumer couldn't care less about a Pure Google Experience. They either love the bloatware or aren't even aware that they could buy a phone that doesn't have it.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My mistake, I figured the Verizon one came with all the crap all the other phones have.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon because no one else has coverage in my small town OR as good coverage when I'm on the road (12-15 days a month). I would only be interested in a full price device IF I could get a discount on my plan. There is one Verizon MVNO (Page Plus) BUT no prepaid plans are going to have LTE for quite a while. I've been with Verizon for 9 years, they've always treated me well when I needed them and no one comes close to their local OR Nationwide coverage and the few times I've been in an LTE market the speeds have been amazing (better than my home 9 Mbps DSL). Even though I could do it I have no interest in rooting/romming (didn't even unlock my Nexus 7) and right now I'm sporting a Pebble Blue GS3 with 32 GB that was my last subsidized phone to keep my unlimited data (although I have yet to exceed 2 GB in a month). If Verizon actually brought back their double data promotion I would switch to tiered to get a subsidy because I'm not going to another carrier because I don't see them catching up to Verizon any time soon and their customer has been good whenever I needed them (they speak US english, short wait times (less than 5 minutes and have always treated me well).

Fisack23

May 24, 2012
Visit site
You can never get to first place by copying someone else. Proactive wins competitions, not reactive. Reactive is always a step behind.

Google is not Apple, and does not want to become Apple. They believe in freedom of choice and strength in the marketplace. Android is about pushing the limits of possibility, not setting a standard that is sub-standard.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but I wanted to say it...

If only Google would take a look at Apple. Why can't Google build their own iPhone? The Nexus could quickly bring android and Google to par (in consumers eyes) with Apple and iOS if only they would build their own phone. I know they are now, but they're not being consistent. If they would pick ONE manufacturer to build the phones and keep them pure ANdroid, no carrier crAp, just like the iPhone. Also, all updates straight through Google no updates to the manufacture. Just like Apple on the iPhone.

The one thing apple has going for it is the phones, released just once a year, are essentially the same in build. Meaning cases and docks will work each year for the new phone. Why can t google do the same? Something like that would Definitely bring me back to the android fold.

Just a few thoughts.
I lie awake at night dreaming of the hottest hardware on my favorite OS.... Nicely stated Zrx!

If Google built a device as high quality as the iphone , I think the carriers would be compelled to carry it.

It could be sold as a high end device @$300 subsidized and if Google hasn't compromised would trump an S4 device. Everyone would win, Google gets the eyeballs, Carriers grab customers, and OEM(Motorola?) strikes it big on the hardware . I think I would still buy it outright if given the choice though.

Last edited:

farb12

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I will return to my android roots once Google releases a Nexus phone on the Play store that will work on CDMA. I hate bloatware and waiting for updates!

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I will return to my android roots once Google releases a Nexus phone on the Play store that will work on CDMA. I hate bloatware and waiting for updates!
A better option would be for V to repurpose Cdma into LTE...then its a win win! The good news is that the i5 has proven they can do a CDMA/GSM/LTE radio, pretty much a world phone. Google ought to be able to replicate that.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
That is the exact issue, "bro".

But at the end of the day, it isn't really about Android. It's about Google wanting to know everything about you. Google wants your data. Google wants you.

This, 100%. Google is, at heart, an advertising and information company. Android was developed to extend their reach to mobile.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
But, from what I've read, they're going the opposite way. Multiple Nexii, from multiple OEMs. All different in style, but all conforming to Google's standard for hardware compatibility with pure Android software. Choice, market share, dominance. This has already propelled Android past Apple in phone sales, and almost 50% in the tablet market, which was owned by Apple only a year ago.

Why, oh why, would they now implement the very process that has put Apple in second place?

Maybe you should stick with iPhones.

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

Apple might sue Google saying they copied the way they manufacture phones or some bull like that..

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

If only Google would take a look at Apple. Why can't Google build their own iPhone? The Nexus could quickly bring android and Google to par (in consumers eyes) with Apple and iOS if only they would build their own phone. I know they are now, but they're not being consistent. If they would pick ONE manufacturer to build the phones and keep them pure ANdroid, no carrier crAp, just like the iPhone. Also, all updates straight through Google no updates to the manufacture. Just like Apple on the iPhone.

The one thing apple has going for it is the phones, released just once a year, are essentially the same in build. Meaning cases and docks will work each year for the new phone. Why can t google do the same? Something like that would Definitely bring me back to the android fold.

Just a few thoughts.

I completely understand why you feel this way. You and your friends at iMore can keep your new-old iPhone 5 which is two generations behind Google's flagship phones.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Haha, I don't think I'd quite say we're behind. Things are definitely different between the two os's. I like them both. It is just I am playing with the iPhone this year. Who knows what next year will bring. I am. It loyal to any one brand or operating system.

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Tough spot though. Google bringing the Galaxy Nexus to Verizon has been nothing short of an extreme headache.

Google needs to make the Nexus available day 1 in the USA unlocked directly from the Play Store, make it price competitive (like ~$449 to $499 unlocked), and market the crap out of it. Considering more and more people are moving to value/prepaid plans and bringing their own devices, they could actually make some decent sales. Playing to the carriers isn't something that they have to do to be successful, they just need to make people want the device and understand the value proposition of having a true "Google phone". Remember, people buy iPhones at full unlocked price in the millions every single year.

Perfect analysis!

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Haha, I don't think I'd quite say we're behind. Things are definitely different between the two os's. I like them both. It is just I am playing with the iPhone this year. Who knows what next year will bring. I am. It loyal to any one brand or operating system.

iOS is outdated as hell. It's ridiculous.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Just a few thoughts.

Google is not a hardware company. They leave Android for free and open sourced for other companies to use. Chargers are the same on Android phones they all use micro usb's. Apple is the ones that charge money for the lighting chargers or 30 pin connecters. Also as soon as Apple releases a phone once a year it is instantly out done screen wise and internal power wise. Apple is slow and late to the game with everything, the only thing iOS has going for it is its apps which I think is taking a huge turn as we speak. Also Samsung who use to be bad with updates are really turning that around. My 13 month old Galaxy S2 for Sprint is having Jelly Bean built right now and has already had a leak.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae