GMail stopped sending email, but could still receive.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

This weekend GMail stopped sending mail, but still received it fine. I'd upgraded to two step verification, but made no other changes.

After I realized the issue, I changed back to single verification, but it still wouldn't send. After I uninstalled all updates to the Gmail app, it started working, and is still working even after Gmail auto updated.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is it the Two Step Verification? or something else?

Thanks for any thought you put into this!
Naa

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
When you upgrade to 2 step authentication you need to update your Android password to Application specific password.

Let me try to explain you this. when you enable 2 step authentication you can login to google account using 2 way.

Method 1: Using application specific password for device running Android
Note: before a few weeks ago the application specific password should be used for Chrome Sync/Google Music manager/ Google Drive desktop app/Outlook
but now it seems like they have made many application use method 2

Method 2: usual password + passcode generated by mobile app.

Go here https://accounts.google.com/b/0/IssuedAuthSubTokens?hl=en_US you will see details about application specific password. you need to login to your account.

hope that explains why you had issue with Gmail. usually Android will prompt you to login using Application specific password.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks!

I guess I was confused because Gmail still downloaded all my mail so I figured I'd configured it correctly.

I'm updating using the method you described.

Thanks again!

Nb

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums