Opinion on the best SIM phone carriers?

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I would like to know what others think (if you use it or have used it) about carriers to use for the GNex. Carriers such as Simple Mobile, Straight Talk, Tmobile Monthly 4G, etc.

Call quality
Data speed
Coverage
Unlimited or not unlimited
etc.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
First rule of choosing a cell carrier is the same as the first rule of real estate. Doesn't matter how cheap or unlimited the plan is if you don't get a usable signal.

Sent from my Nexus 7

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile coverage in Chicagoland is generally pretty good. And where there's a decent HSPA+ signal, you'll generally get faster data speeds than AT&T. But choosing an MVNO that uses AT&T's network could be a better choice if you travel a lot (especially outside of metros).

All that aside, no matter where you go in the States, you'll either be on AT&T or T-Mobile's network.

H20 Wireless: AT&T service
Red Pocket: AT&T service
Simple Mobile: T-Mobile service
Straight Talk: AT&T or T-Mobile service (you choose which SIM card you want when you sign up)
T-Mobile Monthly4G: T-Mobile service (obviously)

Both Simple and Straight Talk offer "unlimited' smartphone plans ($50 and $45 per month, respectively) that have "soft-capped" data. This means that they don't set a definitive limit, which could be an issue for data-heavy users. Rather, they reserve the right to terminate your data service if they think you're abusing it. For most people, this monthly cap falls in the 2-3GB range, but YMMV.

T-Mobile's Monthly4G has a few prepaid plans to choose from with different "4G" data allowances that are "hard-capped" and throttled thereafter. After you exceed your monthly cap, they simply throttle your data service down to 2G/EDGE speeds. I'm currently on their $60/month plan that hard caps at 2GB (enough for me).

MVNOs like H20 and Red Pocket in comparison, aren't very good values, IMHO because their $50 plans have pretty low data allowances and they charge for additional data a la carte. For those that must have AT&T service (for coverage reasons), Straight Talk is far and away the better value.

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995