still no Jelly Bean for GSM GN on T-Mobile(USA) network, originally bought in EU.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
my co-worker has a GSM Galaxy Nexus that she original bought while on vacation in the EU.(forgot if she said Germany or Finland)

she's been using it since the beginning of the year on T-Mobile here in the U.S.

as of today, it is still not getting the Jelly Bean update. Short of download it directly from Google and doing a manual update, is
there any possibility of getting it OTA? (either via T-Mobile data network or home wi-fi)

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
If she bought in Germany or Finland, the device likely isn't a yakju device, meaning its being updated by Samsung and not Google.

You need to just bite the bullet, flash to yakju (or takju if you plan to use it in the U.S. because it has Wallet) and be done with it. Then you'll be on 4.1.2 and updated directly by Google from here on out: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-return-your-gsm-nexus-stock-flash-takju.html

Also just as a footnote, the carrier you're using it on doesn't affect when you get the update.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I was in this boat a few months ago. I got the international gsm Gnex from Amazon. I found out it wasn't even Yakju but one that was to be updated by Samsung. We all know how well that goes. So I to like many had to put Yakju the JB on the phone manually. It may seem daunting but if you are smart and can read intructions you should be fine. Considering you are here asking I'd say you already are. :D

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
after a few tries, I managed to get her GSM Galaxy Nexus to update. I removed the T-Mobile USA SIM card
and connected to Starbucks WiFi. It updated immediately and Jelly was installed. :) Strangely, during initial boot-up,
the Galaxy Nexus switched to German menu. I had to go into settings and switch it back to English.