Verizon converts: How do you like T-Mobile with your GNex?

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
So I'm thinking of leaving Verizon for the Nexus 4 and T-Mo next week. I plan on using their all-unlimited $70 pre-paid plan. What have your experiences been switching from Verizon to T-Mobile? Or even just on T-Mobile in general? Do you like their "4G"? How about voice coverage? I'm going to be using it mainly in the Manhattan area.

Thanks!

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
The $70 plan is not unlimited 4G, it is unlimited data with a 5GB cap on 4G service. There currently is no unlimited 4G prepaid plan. T-Mobile coverage in good in Manhattan, Queens & Brooklyn. I do not know about the Bronx or SI. It is sketchy in the burbs. I am a current T-Mobile user but was previously with Verizon for years and found their coverage was always better than anybody else.

I currently have the $60 plan with 2GB of 4G service. I stream Pandora during my commute daily and have yet to exceed the cap. You can change you plan at any time right on their website. BTW, if you choose this route and have your credit card auto billed set it up to bill about 3 days before the 30 day period is up. By default it goes to every 30 days and that can sometimes cause you to lose service for the final day due to timing issues.

mao mao

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I have T-Mobile. My signal was great in Phoenix, I live in Nor Cal now and my signal definitely leaves something to be desired. My wife is on AT&T and always seems to have signal, even when I don't.

PDFierro3

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I too am switching from Verizon to T-Mobile for the Nexus 4. Unless you use tons of minutes, I think the $30 plan is the way to go. Only 10 cents a minute after the 100.

I'm also moving to Los Angeles in a few months. Can anyone comment on the coverage there? I know it's not going to be as good as Verizon, but upon doing some research it should be good enough.

wr1020

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I too am switching from Verizon to T-Mobile for the Nexus 4. Unless you use tons of minutes, I think the $30 plan is the way to go. Only 10 cents a minute after the 100.

I'm also moving to Los Angeles in a few months. Can anyone comment on the coverage there? I know it's not going to be as good as Verizon, but upon doing some research it should be good enough.

I live in the Los Angeles area and i'm happy with the coverage. I live right outside Los Angeles but still in a city with 100k+ population so its not like i'm in the middle of nowhere. I came from AT&T and an iphone 4 so i only had 3g speeds. I get 4g speeds with the nexus and tmobile and haven't had any issues with coverage.

mcelmeel17

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Had Verizon for 2 years before buying my unlocked Gnex from the google play store. Long story short, screw Verizon. Glad I made the switch. The reception on T-mobile isnt as good in my opinion but it is more than good enough. If you live in the boonies then I would say stick with Verizon but since you are in a HUGE metropolitan area I say no sweat. Data speeds are fine by me in Orlando. Overall I'm very happy I made the switch.

Festusian

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I made the move a couple of months ago and am very pleased that I did. I'm saving a lot of money but my service is as good or better as it ever was. I'm in the St Louis area but roughly 35 miles away from the city itself.

I've had no problem with voice and I'd say that 80% of the time I get a 4G data connection. Back in the 90s I was with ATT until three years ago. Then I went to Verizon. I have to say that ATT voice was the best but I had trouble with disconnects on data. Verizon was great on voice but I often got a very slow 1X connection, which I think was due to congestion.

I absolutely have not run into any problems with Tmo. Maybe it's a good thing they're smaller since I haven't seen the problems when everyone is trying to use their connection at the same time.