gnex and jb 4.2

m.vasquez009

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
hey i was just wondering since jb 4.2 is going to be released soon will the gnex receive the update i know its a nexus and nexus phones are first for these updates but i heard somewhere that the current nexus hardware wouldn't be able to run jb 4.2? dumb question i know but just curious

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Of course it will be able to run 4.2, don't worry about that.

As for when, we don't know. They've made no announcement about when 4.2 will be finalized and released.

cporier91

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes it wil be updated...as for when it will? It can be a while. once the new Nexus line starts selling, they will update the gnex shortly after.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
hey i was just wondering since jb 4.2 is going to be released soon will the gnex receive the update i know its a nexus and nexus phones are first for these updates but i heard somewhere that the current nexus hardware wouldn't be able to run jb 4.2? dumb question i know but just curious
just to make you feel good. you will also get key lime pie. next version of Android.

tallmike00

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Sure makes me wish that Samsung would provide updated Android operating systems as quickly as Google. My two devices are a Samsung Tab 7.7 (P6800) and my GNex phone. My 7.7 finally received Ice Cream Sandwich in September and two weeks ago my GNex got JB 4.1.2 I like both of my Androids. The 7.7 offers the same screen as the GNex but larger. I have taken a number of pictures using my GNex and then moved them to the 7.7, sort of a "best of both worlds" kind of thing. I just got my GNex in August and I wonder if I ought to have waited until November and gotten the Nexus 4. Well... maybe not. I wouldn't have the spontaneous pictures I have taken during the last couple months. I don't always think of carrying my digital camera but the GNex is always in my pocket. I just got a really good set of photos of the discharging sparks flying outward from the Tesla Coil in the ceiling at the Museum of Science and Industry this most recent Saturday. Turned out stunning.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Sure makes me wish that Samsung would provide updated Android operating systems as quickly as Google. My two devices are a Samsung Tab 7.7 (P6800) and my GNex phone. My 7.7 finally received Ice Cream Sandwich in September and two weeks ago my GNex got JB 4.1.2 I like both of my Androids. The 7.7 offers the same screen as the GNex but larger. I have taken a number of pictures using my GNex and then moved them to the 7.7, sort of a "best of both worlds" kind of thing. I just got my GNex in August and I wonder if I ought to have waited until November and gotten the Nexus 4. Well... maybe not. I wouldn't have the spontaneous pictures I have taken during the last couple months. I don't always think of carrying my digital camera but the GNex is always in my pocket. I just got a really good set of photos of the discharging sparks flying outward from the Tesla Coil in the ceiling at the Museum of Science and Industry this most recent Saturday. Turned out stunning.

Cool story bro

sent from my Nexus 7

contact25

May 17, 2011
Visit site
To be honest I could careless if we get it or not. This phone is amazing as is and I'm passing on the nexus 4 due to the non removable battery and low storage (for music and videos/ pictures of my daughter). I got mine in September and I normally want to switch phones every month, but this phone is everything I need in a phone with 4.1.2

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
At this point i'm way to invested in my Gnex. 3 Batteries, a separate charger and OEM car mount (love the pogo pins). Get me 4.2 soon I want all the goodies.-)

ChipsNGuac

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Do I need to be routed for it to work?

Yes. You dont have to be rooted for the app to work, however you need to be rooted to be able to install the app. This is because you'll need to be able to uninstall the current Gmail app which is a system app so you will need to be rooted in order to do that.

I'm assuming your Galaxy Nexus is not rooted since you are asking that. Can I ask why it is not rooted? I'm just wondering because depending on the reason I may be able to assist you with overcoming any objections to rooting it, that is if you would like to have it rooted.

helspawn

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Iam not cynical for being rooted...it's just that I don't know the entire process as I never really felt the need of it...but since I hear everyone gets rooted, the thought did cross my mind....again I don't know which rom to choose n all...that's it...just a newbie to root I suppose...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ChipsNGuac

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Iam not cynical for being rooted...it's just that I don't know the entire process as I never really felt the need of it...but since I hear everyone gets rooted, the thought did cross my mind....again I don't know which rom to choose n all...that's it...just a newbie to root I suppose...

Cool, nothing wrong with that. Everyone starts out as a newbie. I'm not an expert by any means but over the past few years I have successfully rooted several phones and I can tell you the Galaxy Nexus is one of the easiest. Also, just because your phone is rooted, doesnt mean you have to use a custom rom. It's perfectly fine to just root your phone to gain access to be able to do those things you wouldnt normally be able to do while keeping the stock rom. Just dont accept any OTA updates or you will lose root and have to do it again.

Two things I would recommend. There is an app in the Play Store called All About Root It doesnt "do" anything, its just a good source to read about rooting.

Second, if you want to root your Galaxy Nexus, I would recommend the Nexus Root Toolkit by WugFresh. It's a super great program, very easy to use, every button pops up and tells you exactly what it does and gives you the option to continue or cancel so you dont have to worry about pressing the wrong button and doing something you didnt want to do. I used this program to root both mine and my wife's GNex and it worked perfectly both times. You can even use it to make a backup of your apps/data so that when you root it and it wipes everything, it can all be restored. This is what I had to do for my wife's phone and it worked great. Then once you're rooted you can enjoy the use of apps like Titanium Backup (get the pro version ... def worth it!) and then you can get the new Gmail 4.2!

That's it! It's simple and easy. I would say read the info in that app and then check out the Nexus Root Toolkit and just click around in it. Like I said it tells you what everything does so you cant mess anything up and you dont have to worry about a custom rom if you dont want to. The advantage of a custom rom is additional features that the stock roms dont have. I'm currently using one from Code Name Android that is based off Android 4.1.2. You can read about it here if you want. Feel free to PM me if you want. I can help answer any questions you have about any of it.

tallmike00

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Just in case anyone wondered what a Tesla coil looks like when energized, here is one of the pictures that I took with my G-nex phone.

Tesla Coil smaller.jpg

Last edited: