Galaxy Nexus Sudden Loss of Mobile Service Capability

warsaws00

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello I could use help and input on a problem with my phone. It's a Google Galaxy Nexus with 4.1.2 android (build JZ054K). I got it only about 2 months ago now and in general I was new to the whole smartphone thing. It has been working just fine along until today. For no apparent reason there is no mobile network service or signal at all. Otherwise the phone is functioning fine, and it can use wifi. But there is no cell information of any kind in the settings. I don't have any idea what could have caused this.

I did unlock and root the phone recently about a week ago using galaxy nexus toolkit. It's my only guess for a problem. Either that or the hardware simply has a problem.

Yes my wireless plan is paid and activated. Yes I have an unlimited data plan. Yes I took the battery and SIM card out for a few minutes then replaced them. Yes I tried a factory restore. None of this fixed the problem so please any suggestions appreciated thanks.

I can still relock the phone and then send it in under warranty to be replaced, but that sucks and I'd rather have a working phone here-now.

Edit: I paid $350 for this nexus phone and since the new Nexus 4 just came out and is comparably priced is there any chance Google might let me trade it in or something?

Edit 2: Under the settings > about phone > status> it says "service state: out of service/radio off". Tapping on that info does nothing. does that help?

Last edited:

Subsound

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello I could use help and input on a problem with my phone. It's a Google Galaxy Nexus with 4.1.2 android (build JZ054K). I got it only about 2 months ago now and in general I was new to the whole smartphone thing. It has been working just fine along until today. For no apparent reason there is no mobile network service or signal at all. Otherwise the phone is functioning fine, and it can use wifi. But there is no cell information of any kind in the settings. I don't have any idea what could have caused this.

I did unlock and root the phone recently about a week ago using galaxy nexus toolkit. It's my only guess for a problem. Either that or the hardware simply has a problem.

Yes my wireless plan is paid and activated. Yes I have an unlimited data plan. Yes I took the battery and SIM card out for a few minutes then replaced them. Yes I tried a factory restore. None of this fixed the problem so please any suggestions appreciated thanks.

I can still relock the phone and then send it in under warranty to be replaced, but that sucks and I'd rather have a working phone here-now.

Edit: I paid $350 for this nexus phone and since the new Nexus 4 just came out and is comparably priced is there any chance Google might let me trade it in or something?

Edit 2: Under the settings > about phone > status> it says "service state: out of service/radio off". Tapping on that info does nothing. does that help?

If it says out of service I would contact the provider. It should say in service.

warsaws00

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Have you already fiddled with your APN settings?

I don't understand what that does, but yes. I like tapped a thing and it said restoring default APN. So whatever that does it did it and still isnt working.

Should I try to get a new SIM before like sending it in for warranty?

Edit: googled some stuff and saw this thread
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-fascinate/83962-no-phone-data-radio-off-help.html

But I don't understand what flashing the phone does or whether or not it would help my situation.

Last edited:

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked the Baseband Version listed under About Phone?? Perhaps your radio/baseband is causing the trouble. You could figure out and flash a new baseband version and see if that helps.

warsaws00

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Click this LINK download the correct baseband for your device from this link and see if you get the service back up.

I consider myself fairly tech savvy, but I'm by no means a big techy. When you say download it do you mean download it on wifi on my phone? or on my pc then transfer to my phone? or use a toolkit or what? Thanks

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I consider myself fairly tech savvy, but I'm by no means a big techy. When you say download it do you mean download it on wifi on my phone? or on my pc then transfer to my phone? or use a toolkit or what? Thanks

Have you got CWM (clockworkmod) installed on your gnex?? I should have been more clearer, when i say download, you can download the baseband on your computer and then either transfer it via dropbox or cable. After that, go into recovery mode which is the CWM and flash the zip file.

http://androidforums.com/internatio...s-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html#clockworkmod

warsaws00

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Have you got CWM (clockworkmod) installed on your gnex?? I should have been more clearer, when i say download, you can download the baseband on your computer and then either transfer it via dropbox or cable. After that, go into recovery mode which is the CWM and flash the zip file.

http://androidforums.com/internatio...s-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html#clockworkmod

I don't have that. The only thing I've done to it besides downloading standard non-tweaking apps is to unlock/root it with this process the toolkit went through.

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't have that. The only thing I've done to it besides downloading standard non-tweaking apps is to unlock/root it with this process the toolkit went through.

I can give you some guidance then using fairly ok method.
1. Go to Play Store, then download Rom Manager App
2. Open the Rom Manager and click on 'Flash ClockworkMod Recovery'
3. Go to the site the link I gave you - Here and then scroll down to "How to install / update a kernel or radio" which will tell you how to flash the baseband/radio you downloaded

warsaws00

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies but honestly f**k all of this. I'm just sending it in. A product shouldn't just not work within 30 days of using it.

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies but honestly f**k all of this. I'm just sending it in. A product shouldn't just not work within 30 days of using it.

Well it is your decision and make sure when you are sending it back, the device is back to original stock and locked again.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Where are you located? If in the NY area this is common since Sandy hit. Sporadic coverage and no coverage all week.

warsaws00

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Where are you located? If in the NY area this is common since Sandy hit. Sporadic coverage and no coverage all week.

I'm in Michigan so it shouldn't be related I don't think. I guess I should mention my change in attitude is because it seems clearer that something more complicated is wrong. *After* doing the factory reset and basically having done nothing else with the phone, suddenly it is constantly displaying a low memory notification. But that's simply wrong, the memory is erased like new and not anywhere near full. Additionally the OS is spitting out all kinds of suchandsuch "has stopped working" messages. I don't know what happened I guess something happened from rooting it.

Is it still possible for me to unroot/relock the phone and send it in under warranty?

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Michigan so it shouldn't be related I don't think. I guess I should mention my change in attitude is because it seems clearer that something more complicated is wrong. *After* doing the factory reset and basically having done nothing else with the phone, suddenly it is constantly displaying a low memory notification. But that's simply wrong, the memory is erased like new and not anywhere near full. Additionally the OS is spitting out all kinds of suchandsuch "has stopped working" messages. I don't know what happened I guess something happened from rooting it.

Is it still possible for me to unroot/relock the phone and send it in under warranty?

yes it is possible to send it in under warranty if you unroot and relock the phone

warsaws00

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to keep on bumping my thread but I keep running into new weirdness.

I was unable to login my nexus using my google account because I had 2-step verification turned on. And well you can't complete verification without getting a text on your phone. So after *not* connecting with a google account that's when all those errors sprang up. So just now I went on my laptop and turned 2-step verification off, and now did a 2nd factory phone restore. This time I could login to my Nexus using my google account to let it restore some of my stuff.

I'm not seeing errors yet, but it did still say the memory is full (Nexus has no sd slot just a big onboard memory). Now I could plug in the USB in my laptop to see if it's true and yep sure enough it says its full. I looked in the folders to see what filled up several GB of freespace I had. And the "dump" folder has over 600 .dmp files that take up about 6GB of space!

For the meantime is it safe to just delete these? I guess they are crash dumps to parse problems?

Edit: most of the .dmp files are "0 bytes", but all of the ones called "radio_dump" take up 48 mb each and theres 130. This seems really odd and maybe connected to the radio not working right.

Edit2: Now I noticed that when I hold the power button that the "airplane mode" status is toggling all by itself between "on" and "off" cycling every 4 seconds or so. I noticed this earlier but I didn't stop to observe it long enough. I had assumed that like, the status was "catching up" and updating after the hardware thought about whether or not airplane mode was on. But now that I watch it longer that's not the case and it is just continuously switching between being "off" and "on". This sounds like another indicator somethings weird with the radio.

Found this which sounds similar to my situation:
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=28474

In particular someone mentions having the phone on high brightness can seem to cause this issue and that is one thing out of the ordinary I had done also. I had it set to high brightness for a few hours or so despite usually using half brightness.

Last edited:

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to keep on bumping my thread but I keep running into new weirdness.

I was unable to login my nexus using my google account because I had 2-step verification turned on. And well you can't complete verification without getting a text on your phone. So after *not* connecting with a google account that's when all those errors sprang up. So just now I went on my laptop and turned 2-step verification off, and now did a 2nd factory phone restore. This time I could login to my Nexus using my google account to let it restore some of my stuff.

I'm not seeing errors yet, but it did still say the memory is full (Nexus has no sd slot just a big onboard memory). Now I could plug in the USB in my laptop to see if it's true and yep sure enough it says its full. I looked in the folders to see what filled up several GB of freespace I had. And the "dump" folder has over 600 .dmp files that take up about 6GB of space!

For the meantime is it safe to just delete these? I guess they are crash dumps to parse problems?

Edit: most of the .dmp files are "0 bytes", but all of the ones called "radio_dump" take up 48 mb each and theres 130. This seems really odd and maybe connected to the radio not working right.

Edit2: Now I noticed that when I hold the power button that the "airplane mode" status is toggling all by itself between "on" and "off" cycling every 4 seconds or so. I noticed this earlier but I didn't stop to observe it long enough. I had assumed that like, the status was "catching up" and updating after the hardware thought about whether or not airplane mode was on. But now that I watch it longer that's not the case and it is just continuously switching between being "off" and "on". This sounds like another indicator somethings weird with the radio.

Found this which sounds similar to my situation:
Issue 28474 - android - Signal lost irrecoverably when Galaxy Nexus is in Standby/idle, and unable to re-connect data, phone signal bars jammed and misleading - Android 4.0.2 and 4.0.4 - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hos

Hmmm, now I partially think the when you unlocked and rooted the phone to Build JZ054K 4.1.2, the build might actually be conflicting with the device hardware causing the problems including the radio/baseband as well. Perhaps changing the rom using the tooklit might help rather than factory restoring it.

Also which version of galaxy nexus do you have, GSM? CDMA/LTE?

Last edited:

warsaws00

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, now I partially think the when you unlocked and rooted the phone to Build JZ054K 4.1.2, the build might actually be conflicting with the device hardware causing the problems including the radio/baseband as well. Perhaps changing the rom using the tooklit might help rather than factory restoring it.

Also which version of galaxy nexus do you have, GSM? CDMA/LTE?

Its the GSM directly from Google and I'm currently using T-mobile if that matters. I just downloaded Busybox plus this GetRIL thing but it doesn't appear to do anything despite saying it downloaded and installed a new RIL. People in that google code thread said that helped but meh not for me. My baseband is listed as "unknown".

How would I go about changing the ROM? I don't even know what that is.

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Its the GSM directly from Google and I'm currently using T-mobile if that matters. I just downloaded Busybox plus this GetRIL thing but it doesn't appear to do anything despite saying it downloaded and installed a new RIL. People in that google code thread said that helped but meh not for me. My baseband is listed as "unknown".

How would I go about changing the ROM? I don't even know what that is.

GetRIL doesn't work for me either but with changing the ROM.
1. Open up Google Nexus Toolkit -> Select 7 (as GSM 4.1.2. Model) -> Then Select 6 (Flash Recovery)
2. Once Recovery is installed, shut off the device and then hold and press Power + Volume Up + Volume Down (this will take you to recovery mode)
3. Once you are in recovery, volume buttons act as moving up and down and power as select button. While there select, Wipe Data/Factory Reset and Wipe cache partition
4. Reboot system once done (hopefully this will clear up the space), and re-connect your device to computer
5. Download the 4.1.2 ROM and Google Apps (gapps) HERE
6. Copy the two files downloaded onto the device (do not extract)
7. Go back to recovery mode and select install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from sdcard -> select the 4.1.2 ROM zip and then Google Apps zip in the order
8. Go back to main menu and reboot the device normally

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance