When do you think Google will stop updating the Galaxy Nexus?

anon(1019781)

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus One was quickly dropped and while I hear it's due to some hardware issues, I can't believe that Google would not have designed it thoughtfully enough to last last until at least the 4.X versions.

Nexus S seems to be holding on to support, but I'll be surprised if it gets 5.X support even though it seems somewhat likely.

As for the Galaxy Nexus, I'd assume it would get to version 6.x before Google drops support?

I'm asking because I really don't like the glass back on the Nexus 4 and I'm going to hold on to the Galaxy Nexus until Google churns out a Nexus that is made of something more durable, like the Kevlar on the Motorola phones.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Its not Google to blame for Nexus One drop of support but smartphone industries tremendous growth.

Internal storage was not enough/hardware was not powerful enough for the latest Android to run properly.

Hardware is growing which makes N1 obsolete and Google didnt sell a lot of n1. so it make sense to drop it.

I have a Nexus S and I think google should stop supporting Nexus S after 4.1.2 or max 4.2. It wont run 5.0 properly

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Can't say that for sure. 5.0 might be even more lightweight than 4.x
its not only about lightweight. Nexus S only has 1 Gb internal storage. so if 5.0 is bigger in size then it might not be possible.

Thats why google is going away from restricted internal storage(example Nexus7 and now Nexus 4)

I like my Nexus S.update to 5.0 make the support cycle 3 years which is good for Nexus lineup.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It will be good through the Nexus 5? at least, which will be another year. It may make it a year after that, even though everything will be 8 core processors or something.

jcsugrue

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus One was quickly dropped and while I hear it's due to some hardware issues, I can't believe that Google would not have designed it thoughtfully enough to last last until at least the 4.X versions.

Nexus S seems to be holding on to support, but I'll be surprised if it gets 5.X support even though it seems somewhat likely.

As for the Galaxy Nexus, I'd assume it would get to version 6.x before Google drops support?

I'm asking because I really don't like the glass back on the Nexus 4 and I'm going to hold on to the Galaxy Nexus until Google churns out a Nexus that is made of something more durable, like the Kevlar on the Motorola phones.

I'm guessing it's going to be quite a while before Google drops support for the GNex. And it's going to be even longer before the community stops developing for it. I wouldn't be surprised if we're still seeing new ROMs three years from now.