Share what you find in Jelly Bean 4.2

fareal

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I was snapping photos and swiping to the right to view photos that I'd just taken and my GNex froze. Had to pull the battery to reboot it. First time I've ever had to pull it.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Another cool find...go into advanced settings in WiFi and there is an optimization option to improve battery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
what is that option?

also i heard if you take a picture and apply filters to it. if you swipe the picture down you can see original and the modified picture.

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
what is that option?

also i heard if you take a picture and apply filters to it. if you swipe the picture down you can see original and the modified picture.

Its in the advanced WiFi settings to optimize battery life. Haven't had much time to see how effective it is at preserving battery life.

Yea that photo filter trick is great to see how much you messed with the original photo. You can also swipe to the left.

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
The OTA update to 4.2 pushed to my phone today. My initial observations:

1. I have mixed feelings about the notifications shade revamp. While it looks "cleaner" by hiding various system shortcuts, the fact that you now have to flip over to the other page to access them seems kind of counterintuitive.

2. I think the new clock theme is ugly. The hour digit is in bold typeface, while the minute digits are not. I liked the old clock theme better.

3. Gesture typing (Google's version of Swype in 4.2) actually works quite well. I'm glad it's finally a stock feature.

And that's about as far as got digging into things today...

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The OTA update to 4.2 pushed to my phone today. My initial observations:

1. I have mixed feelings about the notifications shade revamp. While it looks "cleaner" by hiding various system shortcuts, the fact that you now have to flip over to the other page to access them seems kind of counterintuitive.

2. I think the new clock theme is ugly. The hour digit is in bold typeface, while the minute digits are not. I liked the old clock theme better.

3. Gesture typing (Google's version of Swype in 4.2) actually works quite well. I'm glad it's finally a stock feature.

And that's about as far as got digging into things today...

1. pull down with 2 finger

2. seriously?? clock has one of the best look now. it been praised by all over the internet and you find it ugly?

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the clock interface was not my favorite when I first saw it. I prefer the old cleaner, more uniform look of the old typeface. But, its something new that I'm sure I'll adapt to looking at everyday. The clock app itself on the other hand is just awesome. I love that Google is starting to implement more features into the OS that would normally only be found in ROMs or play store apps. I don't want it to hurt any developers bottom line though.

I really like the gesture typing. I enjoyed using swype , but their keyboard was just too ugly for me to use everyday.

slosh74

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else's screen seem sluggish when the power button is pushed?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

yeah mines seems a bit slowed, seems like they slowed the animation down

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
using Android Central Forum

Zilvinas Vilutis

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Right since upgrade to 4.2 my battery is discharged over just a few hours. I've figured out that it is the Exchange Service process - it discharged my phone ( during night time ) in 4 hours, and 86% of battery was used by this process. The same is on my wife's phone.

Me & my wife are using Google Galaxy Nexus.

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yep I got the N4 wallpapers on mine, I manually flashed the takju update which I found online

What site did you get the update from? O got mine from android central. The wallpapers I'm referring to are the three new ones introduced on the nexus 4.

Can you take a screenshot of the new wallpapers in your wallpaper picker screen?

I have a hard time believing that I flashed the update and it's missing those wallpapers.

pnunez16

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
i am new to android and feel like i have made a great change from Apple. I cannot seem to find in the settings where to customize your phone. with effects and all the other minimal choices. anything i am overlooking. i have the Nexus 4

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
i am new to android and feel like i have made a great change from Apple. I cannot seem to find in the settings where to customize your phone. with effects and all the other minimal choices. anything i am overlooking. i have the Nexus 4

First off, welcome! You will find that the customization possibilities are endless when it comes to android. A couple of quick tips:

Change wallpaper, go on any home screen and long press

Quick settings, talked two fingers and simultaneously swipe down. From there you can access all settings including sound, WiFi, security, etc

Custom launcher, go to play store and search for nova or apex launcher. This will completely change the way your phone looks.

For a complete rundown you may want to read through different threads, YouTube videos etc

Sent from my Nexus 7

pnunez16

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
First off, welcome! You will find that the customization possibilities are endless when it comes to android. A couple of quick tips:

Change wallpaper, go on any home screen and long press

Quick settings, talked two fingers and simultaneously swipe down. From there you can access all settings including sound, WiFi, security, etc

Custom launcher, go to play store and search for nova or apex launcher. This will completely change the way your phone looks.

For a complete rundown you may want to read through different threads, YouTube videos etc

Sent from my Nexus 7

Gotcha! I was just hoping for customization like nova launcher but without downloading the app. I had the HTC One S but this phone just blows that out the water and any other phone I have used.

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Gotcha! I was just hoping for customization like nova launcher but without downloading the app. I had the HTC One S but this phone just blows that out the water and any other phone I have used.

Sounds like you need to research the custom ROM route.

Sent from my Nexus 7

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I first thought the clock with the bold first number was not so great. Now that I have it sitting on my desk in it's dock I really like it. It was a bold move to try something 'not safe' and push the aesthetic like they are doing and it works for me. It's really distancing itself from the fruit phone.

sheppy1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Yep that's what mine is too, I'll try and upload it again later for you :)

canterp

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
will 4.2 on the Galaxy Nexus support Miracast? I see no evidence that it will, there is nothing to set up. Please let me know if I am missing something.

canterp

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800