OTA Update Failed - Now MIA - How do I get it back?

Leon Alpha

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello all...

I have a Galaxy Nexus, purchased from the Play store, not rooted, currently running Android 4.1.2, Build Number: JZO54K, not rooted, locked bootloader.

Last night, I received an OTA update which I believe was for 4.2. I was extremely excited and immediately clicked on Restart & Update... While installing, the little android bot was displayed with a red exclamation mark (or triangle - can't remember exactly, but it was red and it didn't look good, so I had the feeling it was bad). In about 40 seconds or so, the phone restarted and 4.2 was nowhere to be seen :(

Ever since, I've been hitting the 'Check now' button like my life, which I happen to really like, depends on it but I get nothing. I've also cleared out the Google Services Framework [app?] multiple times. I searched online, including this forum and have found nothing about this. I even went ahead and did a factory reset on the phone and NOTHING!!!

Here's the thing: I know I can probably just wait and wait until I get the update again, but...
1) Does anyone have any idea what may have gone wrong? I mean I had unseen notifications and some apps running, but I don't think that would have caused the update to fail.
2) Why on earth can I not see the update again? Is there a file I can clear out or delete so that I can see the update again?
3) Is it possible that may have gotten a fake update? A virus maybe? I'm very very careful about everything I install, I'm paranoid about giving app permissions, and all my passwords are different (and very convoluted) for everything so I kinda ruled out any malicious thing here.

Can anyone shed some light or guide me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Leon Alpha

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Got the OTA Update, but Still Failed!

UPDATE:
Found the update, but installation failed again... 3 times!

I followed these instructions:
-Go into Setting -> Apps -> All -> Google Services Framework
-You will see a button for ?Clear Data?; clear it.
-Go into your dialer and type *#*#2432546#*#* - This will cause a ?force checkin?. You will notice that it shows ?checkin succeeded? across the top.
Go back to Setting -> About Phone -> System updates and then click the check now button.

After doing that, I saw the message about the OTA update for 4.2. The updated downloaded; I pressed restart and install and the same thing happened again. That is, the updated started out normally, but at some point I got the little android bot on its back, with the red triangle and the question mark. After about a minute or so, the phone restarts and I'm back at 4.1.2

Any ideas as to what could be going wrong? How do I even start to troubleshoot this?

Thanks again...

Leon Alpha

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Don't know what else to try. This is what I've done so far...

Ok, I'm currently out of ideas :( Here's what I've tried:

1) Hard reset the phone lots of times (both through settings and by booting into recovery)
2) After the resets, I tried both using my google account or not setting an account at all
3) Wiped out the cache partition (I don't even know what that was supposed to, but tried it anyway)

Any ideas? What could I possibly try or how can I at least find out what's wrong?

Thanks again

Last edited:

Nexusnoob

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I am experiencing the same exact thing and has tried everything! So fraustrated...the new update is awesome, so close...yet so far....anyone know how to fix this issue??!!

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I installed it manually (no root required, stock 4.1.2) using the procedures in this forum's sticky for manually upgrading to JB. It worked correctly the first time. I would also check if the zip file is in your root directory on the cell phone (check via USB). I hope it goes well for you, OTA or otherwise!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

arathkone

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I posted about my update failing in the other 4.2 OTA thread. Having looked on XDA it might be my problem is radio related. My radio is I9250XXLA2, apparently others with this radio are having the same problem. The radio that should work was ILF1. You would need to flash this radio and apparently those who have the update has worked no problem.

This seems to have happened to people like myself who flashed Takju 4.1 when it was released and also a few users who bought phones direct from Google Play (but not all)

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I can't guarantee this is the issue, but the likelihood is that you don't have enough free space on your phone. I have the same model, and before I update, I always dump all the photos onto my computer and do an app purge.

eloy35

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
At this point I would suggest flashing the factory image found at https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images. Since you bought your phone from the Play Store you will need the takju Galaxy Nexus image. You also need to unlock the bootloader, which you can lock after flashing the image. To do any of this you need tools found in the Android SDK, adb and fastboot. Seems like a lot of work, but you will start on a clean slate running 4.2.

Tom Kidman

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice on the forced checkin - I had a failed update slightly different to yours. My galaxy nex didn't restart after downloading the 4.2 upgrade and shutting down and I had to remove the battery to start it up again. Then it booted back into 4.1 and the update wouldn't download again. Very annoying. Your steps above for the forced checkin have allowed me to redownload the update and now it seems to be happily upgrading! Sorry that this doesn't help you out, hope you get your phone upgraded soon :)

Leon Alpha

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all who have replied...

@arathkone That is exactly my problem. I flashed 4.1 when it was released, and the guide I used said I could optionally update the radio to I9250XXLA2, which I did. I will need to find the guide to flash the correct radio then. Thanks so much. This should solve the problem.

arathkone

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all who have replied...

@arathkone That is exactly my problem. I flashed 4.1 when it was released, and the guide I used said I could optionally update the radio to I9250XXLA2, which I did. I will need to find the guide to flash the correct radio then. Thanks so much. This should solve the problem.

It was nice to realise I wasn't the only one!

I've started backing up my phone and i'm going to Flash the whole new 4.2 build from Google hopefully tonight if I get a bit of time free. It should work just by flashing the radio but I have to unlock the bootloader anyway so I may as well go the whole hog!

Leon Alpha

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your input... I just wanted to report that it looks like the problem was indeed my radio. Using the GNex Toolkit I was able to flash the correct factory image for my device. Of course, flashing the factory image would have solved anything, but I did notice that the radio was different, and since I had done nothing else to the phone, I imagine that's what the problem was.

In any case, as eloy35 pointed out, the correct images for various Galaxy Nexi devices may be downloaded here).

After flashing the factory image, all was groovy and I have my Galaxy Nexus, running Android 4.2. Hooray!!! :)

Thanks again

arathkone

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I ended up flashing the full 4.2 build from Google direct.

I had to unlock the bootloader again and thus wipe my device anyway so it made no sense to just flash the radio other than saving about 5 minutes in the whole unlock and flash process.

First time I did it manually too. Felt great to not use a toolkit :D

edit: Just fyi, there were a few on XDA who did just flash the radio and it worked for most of them.

BaconUndies

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh really? So did you flash -
'Factory Images "takju" for Galaxy Nexus "maguro" (GSM/HSPA+) (with Google Wallet)'
'Android 4.2 (JOP40C)'

When you say that you did it without using a toolkit... how did you actually do that? I thought we need the GNex Toolkit in order to unlock the bootloader?

Apologies for the noobnesh but I'm pretty new to the world of Nexus.

ElPolloDiabloCH

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yea that looks like the build I flashed.

I followed this guide: [HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] Return to stock for ALL Galaxy Nexus phones (latest JOP40C) - xda-developers

Not using a toolkit is just a case of having to enter the necessary code manually.

So to unlock the bootloader you use "fastboot OEM unlock". The link to XDA has everything in a step by step.

I did have the exact same problem. The radio on my phone was I9250XXLA2 and the update failed every time. Since my bootloader was already unlocked I only had to flash the correct radio (step D.7 on the guide you linked). After the reboot I then forced the 4.2 update as described above. Worked like a charm and did not wipe anything on my system.

somfw

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem as the others trying to upgrade my Verizon Nexis to Android 4.2.2 After receiving the OTA update it crashes halfway through the install with the dead android with the red warning sign. I have done a factory reset three times and still no updates complete.
In the summer, before 4.1.1 came out i installed the leaked version which required unlocking the phone, Maybe this is part of the problem? If so, why did I get the OTA for the upgrade? I have since relocked it and went back to the Factory recovery. The other two Gnexes in my family all had the same kernel and radio numbers before their succesful OTA updates. Any idea would be greatly appreciated. Verzon said they will send me a Factory Refurb. But I really don't want somebody else s broken phone