4.2 Upgrade> can't turn on bluetooth.

prim8

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else having this issue?
Since I upgraded to 4.2, both of my Galaxy Nexus phones can't turn bluetooth on.

anon(940270)

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem once prior to 4.2. No matter what I did, I couldn't turn bluetooth on. After I powered off the phone and turned it back on. Then I could turn bluetooth off and on with no problem. Hasn't happened since. So you may try powering off the phone and/or pulling the battery and see if that fixes it.

TrackerF16

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
also, try location services under GPS settings, turn it off and then back on (the one asking you about using wifi to localize you faster) the bluetooth and wifi are both 802.11 standards, therefore they are controlled by the same chip (this has worked for me 2x now)

usamaahmad

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else having this issue?
Since I upgraded to 4.2, both of my Galaxy Nexus phones can't turn bluetooth on.

I was having this issue, as were a few users on xda. There is one confirmed solution, and one that may work (only one person has had luck with it in the forums). I used the first solution.

The first solution has you using fastboot, so your bootloader would need to be unlocked. Essentially you flash a new radio, bootloader, image .. basically everything except "userdata.img" so that you can keep all your apps/settings/personalizations. And it worked for me. --- I was rooted (but with stock recovery), and I lost root. You do NOT need root to use this solution, I simply want to highlight that you would lose root if you did have it. What you do need is an unlocked bootloader, and if your bootloader is locked currently, then unlocking will cause the phone to lose all data (thus backup!, actually backup regardless!).

The second solution is if you're running CWM in recovery, you use the CWM-based update, and just reflash it (only one person in the forum tried this and it worked for him).

Link to forum: Galaxy Nexus 4.2 Bluetooth - xda-developers

prim8

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I had actually tried rebooting and pulling the battery and airplane mode. I also did a factory reset.
I tried flashing the radio but I hadn't tried the other solutions yet.
I actually have two phones, it happened on both. I just completely reflashed my phone with the nexus toolkit and the image from google which fixed it.
My wife likely wouldn't take kindly to losing all her stuff so I'm trying to find a less invasive solution.

Quest Granter

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have same problem. I have 4 GNEX and I had to install stock image in two to get bluetooth to turn on. I am not upgrading other two until I see a fix.

Lyonia

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Just to confirm that with CWM reflash now BT is working

After OTA update CWM was re installed, using Galaxy Nexus Toolkit, then OTA image burned again with CWM

reference

Tacty

May 25, 2012
Visit site
after "updating" to 4.2.1 bt acting strangely. it works sometimes, but today refuse to even turn on! nothing helps, it wont turn on no matter what. is it so hard for company like google to provide at least working bluetooth on its phones? this one is major pain, but bt wasnt working properly since i have the phone...i dont want to turn myself into anonymous hacker in order to have working such trivial thing like bt on my phone...i'm more and more into thinking how android is really god forbiden operating system...

Jonathan Hilairet

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: 4.2 Upgrade> can't turn on bluetooth Easy solution

I called google technical support and they found an easy solution for me.

In your Nexus 4, go to : parameters/applications/all/Bluetooth
Empty cache, earase data and remove upgrades.
Restart your phone
Tada !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith