Major 4.2 Problem - Data Signal

roccom33

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I received the 4.2 update yesterday. Since then my data signal has been lost twice and only a reboot will correct the issue. Any others experiencing this problem?

Rynniex

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Updated my phone last Thursday. I have been having the same problems and am constantly losing service and experiencing random reboots. I've also received errors when trying to check my voicemail that my voicemail # is not found on the SIM. I just got off the phone with Google who said they are aware of the issue. They recommended going into my settings>apps>all>google service framework> and clear both cache and data. The next step, if this fails to solve the problem (I will update after a day or so) will be a factory reset. Interestingly, they transferred me to Samsung, and Samsung wasn't even aware that the 4.2 update had gone out and so recommended the factory reset right off the bat.

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow...I thought it had to be T-Mobile but yes I think I am having this issue too. It has only happened twice but in my case my signal bars become grayed out and I can't get any 2g or 3g service on my phone. Turning the phone off and pulling the battery fixed it which is what made me realize it probably wasn't T-Mobile...

Sucks. I really thought I'd managed to avoid the issues with 4.2 :-(

roccom33

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Seems to me I now get edge (2G) in places I used to get T-Mobile 4g. Not sure what to make of this or how to fix

I haven't had a problem with the data signal while it is connected. The issue seems to be happening about 1 time per day. I still get phone service but no data whatsoever unless I reboot.

At the end of the day I guess it isn't too troubling for me personally, but for people who rely on push notifications for email or other things this is a huge issue.

qwick

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Next time it happens try Airplane mode on, then off. Should come back. I've done that a few times lately with my Gnex on 4.1.2

Is everyone on T-mobile that has this problem? (I am on t-mobile)

arathkone

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Fingers crossed i've not had a total failure of data signal but I am getting the odd loss of connectivity to the Google servers and the bars go grey briefly but retain the H connection. It comes back very quickly. Just appears to be a bit odd.

begoss

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been watching the forum to see if I should update my GNex or wait (already updated my Nexus 7)...
Just thought I'd put it out there that I have also lost my T-Mobile data connection on my GNex a few times in the last two days, requiring reboot, and I have NOT yet updated to 4.2... I am still on 4.1.1 with AOKP. So maybe there is also something going on with T-Mobile.

roccom33

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Next time it happens try Airplane mode on, then off. Should come back. I've done that a few times lately with my Gnex on 4.1.2

Is everyone on T-mobile that has this problem? (I am on t-mobile)

I hoped everybody would have assumed I tried that already ;)

roccom33

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Just thought I'd put it out there that I have also lost my T-Mobile data connection on my GNex a few times in the last two days, requiring reboot, and I have NOT yet updated to 4.2... I am still on 4.1.1 with AOKP. So maybe there is also something going on with T-Mobile.

Very interesting. I am on T-Mobile as well. Seems to be common ground here.

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... constantly losing service and experiencing random reboots. I've also received errors when trying to check my voicemail that my voicemail # is not found on the SIM. I just got off the phone with Google who said they are aware of the issue. They recommended going into my settings>apps>all>google service framework> and clear both cache and data. The next step, if this fails to solve the problem (I will update after a day or so) will be a factory reset. ...

T-Mobile for me, BTW ...

Have now experienced a couple of reboots. This AM, was updating a couple of apps (HD Widgets, Ally Bank) over Wi-Fi and got a reboot then "Fuse Locator Failed [something like that]". Since I was on Wi-Fi at home I just ignored it and continued with my morning SS&S routine. Got to work and noticed the nothing-but-grey bars and no "H" phone signal display, went to Status and saw weird signal level and ASU values (very large unrealistic numbers), so I knew a power cycle was needed. Came back up on T-Mobile after power on, all bars and "H".

--
Alex

Michael Coffman

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear you're having this problem, but I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this with the 4.2 update. Mine can reconnect if I have a wifi signal and toggle wifi on and off, after which the phone seems to search for a cellular connection again. Otherwise, once I lose signal in a low-signal area, I can't recover it (almost like the Nexus gives up searching for the signal). As a general observation, the reception now seems better in areas with a strong signal but worse (drops connection) in areas with a weak signal.

I wrote a detailed G+ post describing the bug and my experience - it sounds very similar to what's occurring here. Tried clearing the Google Services Framework as suggested above, but it didn't work for me. Holding off on doing a factory reset since it doesn't seem to be 100% successful, but I may resort to that if a bugfix doesn't hit soon.

Also on T-Mobile, stock, unrooted GSM Galaxy Nexus, OTA update.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante