Major 4.2 Problem - Data Signal

roccom33

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
It actually is a feature if Jelly Bean that it turns your data dormant when your screen is off. I didn't have this problem with mk mobile data but with WiFi. I went to WiFi settings and checked to keep WiFi on during sleep. That fixed that. Dunno if it will help anyone here, but it's worth a shot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

It isn't a WiFi issue. The phone reboots on its own and comes back on without a data signal.

jimmytheflea

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm.... had the phone next to me and it just rebooted itself. Came back up with no data signal. Very strange bug.

I have had this happen several times. I re-flashed the yakju factory image in the hope that the baseband re-flash would help but have had it happen since. Strange bug as it doesn't happen often but of course it happens at the most frustrating times.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Those of you experiencing random reboots with the phone coming back up without data, do you have HD Widgets installed?

I had been getting random reboots 2-3 times a day for the past week, accompanied by loss of cell data. Sometimes I never noticed the reboot (and subsequent loss of data) until I left the house (and WiFi) and noticed my data wasn't working. At first I thought the reboot was just a reboot, and didn't realize it was also killing data.

So I looked at my list of apps and tried uninstalling HD Widgets. I had installed it because it supports the new lock screen in 4.2. But there is evidently a problem with the API. The dev claims it's a 4.2 bug.

Anyway, I uninstalled HD Widgets yesterday and haven't had a reboot since. Whatever is causing the random reboot, I don't think it's a full reboot. It reboots the UI and disconnects the data, but doesn't go through the full boot cycle to re-enable everything. (The APN settings disappear after this happens. They come back after a power cycle.) I noticed that the random reboot cycles faster than a full power down and power up reboot.

Can anyone else confirm this observation?

Andromedo

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
I've had similar issues with my Nexus 4 16GB. Using Solovei (T-Mobile MVNO) in the Phoenix area.

Signal is fine and stable when it is sitting on the table, but goes to heck when I pick it up. H->3G->H->grey bars->pings drop->H->3G

I have been using the free app "GSM Signal Monitoring" which show a perfectly smooth line, until I pick the phone up, at which point the signal starts going crazy, cratering out, thrashing between towers, etc.

I've factory reset, held power for 10s to cause the system to "battery pull" reset, nothing seems to help. The 1.1MB system update Google pushed this morning didn't seem to have any positive effect.

Here are a few screenshots where you can see what is happening. Towards the left of the graphs, the device is sitting stable. To the right, I pick it up while still holding it in the same general area.

This isn't specific to the one area I am in now, it can be seen across town.

gsm-monitoring-chart-2012-11-27 09-23.pnggsm-monitoring-chart-2012-11-27 09-31.png

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Try this:
"Holy sh...anta's reindeer! That battery and SIM pull made a marked difference in my signal level! Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2"
Hehehe, too bad you can only hit thanks once eh?

You're certainly welcome !

I think lots of us forget that that procedure will act like updating the PRL (Preferred roaming List), which for newb's is that your phone grabs a new list of the nearest towers in your area, etc. Definately helps to do this hmm ... one in a couple of months regardless, just to be sure it has a latest list, or so I'm told. Before the LTE phones, you would just dial VZ's network, option 2 to update it.

Not my work, but it might help.

blabla90

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I went to WiFi settings and checked to keep WiFi on during sleep. That fixed that. Dunno if it will help anyone here, but it's worth a shot
------------------------------
KiziStar games are fun and always free to play

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
You know, I think I've had this issue with just about every single Android phone I have ever owned... in fact, yes - every one. The bars will go grey, and even if it indicates 3G, H, H+, whatever - it just won't reconnect to data without a reboot. Sometimes airplane mode will work, but often not. Many times when I leave a place that has no cell service, but has wifi, it'll lose the wifi but won't pick up the data connection without a reboot. It's hugely frustrating and I've seen it from my Nexus One to my Vibrant to my Nexus S to my Sensation to my Galaxy Nexus to the GSIII now. I figured it was T-Mobile or an Android bug of some kind in general.

Gotta say I agree. I have owned three (technically four if you count the lemon GNex I had before this GNex) android devices and experienced problems relating to losing data service/cell service (or some combination of) and having to do the Airplane Mode trick with each of them at various times. It's not like it happens every single day, but it's definitely often enough to realize it and have it irritate you. I'd say for me on my GNex it's once a week or so. It happened back on my Motorola Atrix original, as well. It has got to be an Android thing, not manufacturer-specific. My previous line of smartphones (Blackberries) on the same network (AT&T) never experienced this - ever. And I live and work in the same exact areas as I did during those days.

I'm glad someone else agrees.

Pradeep Nair1

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
My nexus came with 4.1 JB and i have installed 4.2 takju manually. the phone was working perfect so far till recently, when all of a sudden, it no more connects to cellular network. The issue happened in the middle of mobile data roaming but however could not get resolved even after returning to home network.
My baseband is i9250XXLH1 and i am on Vodafone India network.
The network bar completely shows blank. While in open space like roads, it catches signal but in grey and no mobile network.
While manually selecting the network operator, it gets registered in open areas not inside the buildings.

Since GN is not officially available in India, there is no warranty anyway included. i did these on my own:

1. Factory reset: No use
2. Re-flash of 4.2 / 4.2.1 : No use
3. Reflash of radio and clearing cache: No use
4. Flash JB4.1: No use
5. Re-flash of 4.2/4.2.1 : No use
6. Trying out other SIMs and other operators: No use
7. With GetRIL app, it displays my current RIL/Baseband is matching
8. Tried changing the GSM/UMTS bands to Auto/US/Euro/Japan etc.: No use
9. Typical network signal strength of -95dBm and 9 asu

Can it still be a software issue or a hardware problem ?? Appreciate your help and views

Pradeep Nair1

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
My nexus came with 4.1 JB and i have installed 4.2 takju manually. the phone was working perfect so far till recently, when all of a sudden, it no more connects to cellular network. The issue happened in the middle of mobile data roaming but however could not get resolved even after returning to home network.
My baseband is i9250XXLH1 and i am on Vodafone India network.
The network bar completely shows blank. While in open space like roads, it catches signal but in grey and no mobile network.
While manually selecting the network operator, it gets registered in open areas not inside the buildings.

Since GN is not officially available in India, there is no warranty anyway included. i did these on my own:

1. Factory reset: No use
2. Re-flash of 4.2 / 4.2.1 : No use
3. Reflash of radio and clearing cache: No use
4. Flash JB4.1: No use
5. Re-flash of 4.2/4.2.1 : No use
6. Trying out other SIMs and other operators: No use
7. With GetRIL app, it displays my current RIL/Baseband is matching
8. Tried changing the GSM/UMTS bands to Auto/US/Euro/Japan etc.: No use
9. Typical network signal strength of -95dBm and 9 asu

Can it still be a software issue or a hardware problem ?? Appreciate your help and views

Flashed 4.0 : No network signal
updated to 4.1: No network..
Even when signal catches in fully open areas, call quality not good..

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
The only time I ever experience any data loss is immediately and invariably following a random reboot?and others have said the same?so would it not therefore be safe to assume a fix for the reboots could also prevent said data loss issue?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Not really, no. I have had some data issues and never a reboot. I suspect it has more to do with the wifi disabled on sleep by default. It may be disabling more than just wifi on sleep. That is not to say the next update will not fix it without specifically addressing it though. ;)

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I've only had ONE reboot since I've flashed 4.2 and I know why that time so no issues with 4.2.1

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Pradeep Nair1

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
i never had a problem of reboot..even i used the handset on 4.2 for couple of weeks before this issue started..
I tried whatever i can from the advice from other forums, not much of help here in this forum it seems :) on my way to the service center

Onkar Joshi

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
HI,

I am also facing same issue. I am using Nexus 4 in Pune, INDIA.
Its on 4.2.1 and I am not getting any Signals (No Network).
Does it has some solution or Do I need to send handset to US?

Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10