Major 4.2 Problem - Data Signal

anon(5432634)

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Are you on Tmob?
I installed the 4.2.2 update last week, I believe. Today all kinds of data signal issues. H+,3G,edge and G, then nothing.

Called Tmob, he sent me to the store to get a new sim. New sim in, signal returned. BUT now its going through the same cycle over and over again.

I was getting speeds like 11mbps dl/3.4ul. And now I'm at 0.05dl/0.02ul.

Battery pulls, sim pulls don't help. Airplane toggle doesn't help. I don't want to factory reset, from what I'm reading that doesn't help either. I'm not rooted, don't want to do that.
I'm thinking about uninstalling the update, but that looks like it doesn't help either.

My bill is paid, lol. I'm on unlimited 4G, so it's not like I'm being throttled, which was my first thought. I have noticed that the notification vibration is really slow and dragged out since the update. Lol that may have nothing to do with anything. But I'm so frustrated at this point. I've never had a problem with my Gnex on Tmob. I read in another forum about them blocking imei's from unknown carriers? I knew I shouldn't have updated. I've never had a problem with the other updates. But reading how this one was blocking LTE, it just seemed like a bad idea to update. Again that may have nothing to do with it, I'm not very techy. I just want my phone working again :(

edit: it's been fixed. I called Google,lol. Then I called Tmob back.Spoke to a higher tech rep, she ran through the regular with me. I did notice on mine it said the mobile network state was suspended? Asked her about that. Told her I never had a problem like this, had the phone for awhile. She was going to make a ticket, and found out there are upgrades being done it my area. That makes me wonder because the first two techs said there was nothing going on. She said,because she was opening a ticket, she could see more of what was going on. SO as of now my data is back. No more switching, or completely losing its signal. That weird vibration is still there though. Call your provider and have them really dig to see if there are upgrades to towers going on. That was my first thought, until the first two told me no. I was ready to tear my phone up because of them.

Last edited:

bman123

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This is beyond frustrating. I switched from a galaxy S2 on t mobile to a galaxy nexus because I wanted pure google on my phone and I get to deal with this. With my GS2 I would get -91 dBm 3-4 bars of signal no problems at all. In the same place with my GNex since the 20th of last month I've had nothing but trouble. I lose all signal, I'm talking no cellular signal at all. I go to check my signal strength and it shows -113 dBm no signal bars on the phone at all. This is running 4.2.2 in north east Ohio on a UGLG1 radio and I'm talking it's so bad I can't send or receive texts or calls at all let alone use data. What makes it worse is I would randomly look at my phone and I would have 1 or 2 bars and soon as I touch the phone the signal would disappear

I've been digging around since 10pm it's 4:46AM right now and I think I found a fix for this you guys. You have to be rooted to do this but so far for the past few hours I have had no signal issues at all and my signal is -87dBm full bars and better then my GS2 ever was. The fix totally makes sense to me and if you have some android root and rom knowledge it probably will make sense to you also.

When the screen goes off the voltage supplied to the phone goes down, basically killing your signal in the process, when you turn the screen back on the voltage changes but for some reason the cell signal isn't changing like it is supposed to. Here is a link to the XDA fix that I found and that I am currently using and so help me god this is actually working for me

Make sure you do the test first to see if this is happening to you. It happened to me as soon as my screen went blank. If it happens to you like it does me then apply the fix. Everything you need to know is listed, there is a download link to the file that fixed my phone right in the post. Hopefully this helps you guys out and if it does please click my thanks button

xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] Signal Lost with Screen Sleep

bman123

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Update on this. I am still getting excellent signal, have had no issues at all. This has been for about 18 hours now

thusitha

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue with 4.2. I have Samsung Galaxy SII. I tried all sorts of apps to fix this issue. But had no luck without a complete reboot..
This is very serious issue. Google need to fix this (my personal opinion).

lyun17

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I unfortunately have been getting this issue too since last week. It happens at least 5 times a day everyday. I lose connection and get it back after 15 or more minutes in NYC. Rebooting doesn't work so I have to wait until it gets data again. Does anyone know if other phones suffer from this? I'm on T-mobile and now I'm thinking of switching to a nexus 4.

Stjepanzg

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I am from Croatia, I have Galaxy Nexus 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and I also have this problem. When I go out my data signal in some areas suddenly dissapear and I need to switch airplane mode and swritch it off and data signal is back. This is happenng only when I turn Edge only, when I am on 3G/2G this is not happening. This is software problem or hardver? This is very annoying and I am thinking that I will sold this phone and buy Nexus 4 or something else if this will not be solved with software update.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I unfortunately have been getting this issue too since last week. It happens at least 5 times a day everyday. I lose connection and get it back after 15 or more minutes in NYC. Rebooting doesn't work so I have to wait until it gets data again. Does anyone know if other phones suffer from this? I'm on T-mobile and now I'm thinking of switching to a nexus 4.

I have noticed this on T-Mobile commuting into the city during the last week as well. I am seeing dead areas I never saw before and my music looses the connection. I think it is a T-Mobile issue. Hope it is temporary!

lyun17

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed this on T-Mobile commuting into the city during the last week as well. I am seeing dead areas I never saw before and my music looses the connection. I think it is a T-Mobile issue. Hope it is temporary!

Must have been T-Mobile. My galaxy nexus gets great reception again in the city.

GregS2

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here - stock Galaxy Nexus on the Telstra network, Android 4.1.2. I reported it to the Telstra "Crowd Support" site, and I was advised to try resetting to factory settings. I have NOT tried this. I haven't checked over there recently to see whether anyone else had any ideas.

Salman Ahmed2

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
i have been using galaxy google nexus s for 1 mouth i had a problem same with signal but i serched all time now i have solved my problem and now every thing is working wonderfull

treebee55

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
this is my problem with Nexus 5. suddenly data signal is lost. suddenly phone connection is lost. sometimes one or other or both come back.

I am on TMobile.

There is no solution. either phone has defect or its software update failed

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Doing some research on mms problems with my girlfriends Galaxy nexus. Turned off auto retrieve mms and a bunch of old mms started pouring in. Even though 4g indicator was on in settings it said disconnected. Open browser and nothing works.

I figure this mms issue is caused by the data disconnect issue.