Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Major 4.2 Problem - Data Signal

I received the 4.2 update yesterday. Since then my data signal has been lost twice and only a reboot will correct the issue. Any others experiencing this problem?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Major 4.2 Problem - Data Signal

Bump... did it again

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

I've had it happen too. Sometimes it just won't turn on at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    gnr_2 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hmmm.... had the phone next to me and it just rebooted itself. Came back up with no data signal. Very strange bug.

Updated my phone last Thursday. I have been having the same problems and am constantly losing service and experiencing random reboots. I've also received errors when trying to check my voicemail that my voicemail # is not found on the SIM. I just got off the phone with Google who said they are aware of the issue. They recommended going into my settings>apps>all>google service framework> and clear both cache and data. The next step, if this fails to solve the problem (I will update after a day or so) will be a factory reset. Interestingly, they transferred me to Samsung, and Samsung wasn't even aware that the 4.2 update had gone out and so recommended the factory reset right off the bat.

Wow...I thought it had to be T-Mobile but yes I think I am having this issue too. It has only happened twice but in my case my signal bars become grayed out and I can't get any 2g or 3g service on my phone. Turning the phone off and pulling the battery fixed it which is what made me realize it probably wasn't T-Mobile...

Sucks. I really thought I'd managed to avoid the issues with 4.2 :-(

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

Seems to me I now get edge (2G) in places I used to get T-Mobile 4g. Not sure what to make of this or how to fix
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by nexus89 View Post
    Seems to me I now get edge (2G) in places I used to get T-Mobile 4g. Not sure what to make of this or how to fix
    I haven't had a problem with the data signal while it is connected. The issue seems to be happening about 1 time per day. I still get phone service but no data whatsoever unless I reboot.

At the end of the day I guess it isn't too troubling for me personally, but for people who rely on push notifications for email or other things this is a huge issue.

Next time it happens try Airplane mode on, then off. Should come back. I've done that a few times lately with my Gnex on 4.1.2

Is everyone on T-mobile that has this problem? (I am on t-mobile)
    quick
    Nexus One (T-mobile)
    Galaxy Nexus (T-mobile)

ROM
    Cyanogenmod 10 Nightlies

Nope, no problem here. Mine's running great.
    Miley Belanger likes this.

ROM
    Stock 4.2

Fingers crossed i've not had a total failure of data signal but I am getting the odd loss of connectivity to the Google servers and the bars go grey briefly but retain the H connection. It comes back very quickly. Just appears to be a bit odd.
    Miley Belanger likes this.

I have this problem too. Hope they fix it soon.

I'm getting the reboots on my Nexus 7 as well as the GNEX.

ROM
    GNex on AOKP JB 4.1.1

I've been watching the forum to see if I should update my GNex or wait (already updated my Nexus 7)...
    Just thought I'd put it out there that I have also lost my T-Mobile data connection on my GNex a few times in the last two days, requiring reboot, and I have NOT yet updated to 4.2... I am still on 4.1.1 with AOKP. So maybe there is also something going on with T-Mobile.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by qwick View Post
    Next time it happens try Airplane mode on, then off. Should come back. I've done that a few times lately with my Gnex on 4.1.2

Is everyone on T-mobile that has this problem? (I am on t-mobile)
    I hoped everybody would have assumed I tried that already
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by begoss View Post
    Just thought I'd put it out there that I have also lost my T-Mobile data connection on my GNex a few times in the last two days, requiring reboot, and I have NOT yet updated to 4.2... I am still on 4.1.1 with AOKP. So maybe there is also something going on with T-Mobile.
    Very interesting. I am on T-Mobile as well. Seems to be common ground here.

Got the same here as well. Clearing the Google Service Framework data and cache didnt do the trick for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynniex View Post
    ... constantly losing service and experiencing random reboots. I've also received errors when trying to check my voicemail that my voicemail # is not found on the SIM. I just got off the phone with Google who said they are aware of the issue. They recommended going into my settings>apps>all>google service framework> and clear both cache and data. The next step, if this fails to solve the problem (I will update after a day or so) will be a factory reset. ...
    T-Mobile for me, BTW ...

Have now experienced a couple of reboots. This AM, was updating a couple of apps (HD Widgets, Ally Bank) over Wi-Fi and got a reboot then "Fuse Locator Failed [something like that]". Since I was on Wi-Fi at home I just ignored it and continued with my morning SS&S routine. Got to work and noticed the nothing-but-grey bars and no "H" phone signal display, went to Status and saw weird signal level and ASU values (very large unrealistic numbers), so I knew a power cycle was needed. Came back up on T-Mobile after power on, all bars and "H".

--
    Alex

Sorry to hear you're having this problem, but I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this with the 4.2 update. Mine can reconnect if I have a wifi signal and toggle wifi on and off, after which the phone seems to search for a cellular connection again. Otherwise, once I lose signal in a low-signal area, I can't recover it (almost like the Nexus gives up searching for the signal). As a general observation, the reception now seems better in areas with a strong signal but worse (drops connection) in areas with a weak signal.

I wrote a detailed G+ post describing the bug and my experience - it sounds very similar to what's occurring here. Tried clearing the Google Services Framework as suggested above, but it didn't work for me. Holding off on doing a factory reset since it doesn't seem to be 100% successful, but I may resort to that if a bugfix doesn't hit soon.

Also on T-Mobile, stock, unrooted GSM Galaxy Nexus, OTA update.
    Last edited by Michael Coffman; 11-20-2012 at 04:55 AM.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Just happened again as the phone is sitting in front of me on the desk. Phone rebooted and no data :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Coffman View Post
    Mine can reconnect if I have a wifi signal and toggle wifi on and off
    Tried this and it did not work for me.

I'm actually having this problem with my Nexus S, which is on 4.1.2. Shortly after the update, it started losing its data connection. The icon showing my connectivity bars becomes a hollow triangle. Switching into airplane mode and back fixes it, but it's still annoying.

I had this same issue with a bad data connection when I upgraded from 4.1 to 4.1.2. If I remember correctly, I think I booted without my sim card. Then shut down and restarted with the sim. Then I went to settings > more... (under wireless and networks) > moblie networks > Network operators > Then selected T-Mobile. It took several tries I think. But eventually my data problem went away.

ROM
    Stock

I'm possibly experiencing the same problem on Straight Talk. I'm still running through some troubleshooting steps. This is my first run on Straight Talk, so I don't know if its carrier related yet.

I'm running Nexus 4 with 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by aslowe View Post
    I'm possibly experiencing the same problem on Straight Talk. I'm still running through some troubleshooting steps. This is my first run on Straight Talk, so I don't know if its carrier related yet.

I'm running Nexus 4 with 4.2
    Straight Talk using T-Mobile or AT&T?
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMadarasz View Post
    T-Mobile for me, BTW ... Got to work and noticed the nothing-but-grey bars and no "H" phone signal display, went to Status and saw weird signal level and ASU values (very large unrealistic numbers), so I knew a power cycle was needed. Came back up on T-Mobile after power on, all bars and "H". ...
    OK, so now this is officially a MAJOR PITA. Had the problem first thing this AM and powered off/on to clear it when I got to work. Left it sitting for several hours and just found it off the network again (nothing but grey bars and no "H") AGAIN a little while ago. Airplane mode on/off didn't clear - had to power off/on again. Did the Settings > Apps > All > Google Service Framework > Clear Data thingy after that, JIC.

Now wondering if a factory reset might be required ...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast