Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Default Any one else hate the new lockscreen Clock?

I honestly thought it was bugged when I first saw it.After installing 4.2 JB.

I thought it looked like a crappy widget first time try.

Anyway there is a "fix clock" widget available for anyone dying for a rewind to 4.1 fonts. It has a few settings. I was relieved to find it.

IMHO drugs were involved when the dual fonts were approved..
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...
    Thanked by 2:

Default Re: Any one else hate the new lockscreen Clock?

I am not fond of the font either. What I like even less is that none of the settings are saved when you change them. I tried changing the clock to analog and also added 2 cites to show their times. It all shows up in the app but is not saved when you exit so the lockscreen still looks the same.

Correction: The changes are being saved somewhere, they just do not display on the lockscreen. If I open the app all my changes still show on the screen.
    Last edited by patruns; 11-20-2012 at 10:33 AM.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

I really don't mind the tall roboto font, but I don't like the Bold Hour Font. What was in 4.2 Release Preview/Developer Devices looked awesome, tall plain and the same. Now... now it just looks weird.

Yeah, I really hate it to, I'm going to buy an iPhone next time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(or not)

ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

Don't use it then or but HD Widgets they have good selection of lock screen Clocks and fonts as we as colors!

I quite like the new clock. The bold hour doesn't bother me at all.
    @PegCityNerd
    arathkone likes this.

ROM
    Stock 4.2

I like it, it's different but I like it.

I am with the ones who DO NOT like the new 4.2 clock digits. The clock was fine on 4.1 so why not just add the timer and stopwatch functionality without having to play around with the clock as it was? I am not super thrilled by what they did with the alarm clock either. On 4.1 there were two distinct fields which you could hit, one for snooze and one for dismiss. Now, you have to swipe one way or the other. I use my Gnex for an alarm clock because I find it enjoyable to wake up to Cesium at a relatively low sound volume. I much prefer a gentle wake up nudge than an abrasive sound. Some of these changes would be much nicer if set up as options under "settings" rather than a force feed.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I hate it as well. The bold hour looks stupid. I spent and hour trying to figure out what was wrong with it until I realized they actually wanted it to look like crap.

I hate to say it but I really hate the entire 4.2 update. The new lock screen looks like crap and is insecure, the new quick settings are pedestrian compared to power toggles, and the multi user garbage has really over complicated the file structure and made a mess out of migrations and root apps. I could go on and on and complain about the fact that they ruined airplane mode etc but I've got better things to do. I couldn't stand it so I personally installed CM10 m2 after trying 4.2 for a couple of days. I may try CMs version of 4.2 when its ready to see if they did a better job with it.

ROM
    Decks Reloaded,RebelROM

Quote Originally Posted by ncguy View Post
    I hate to say it but I really hate the entire 4.2 update. The new lock screen looks like crap and is insecure, the new quick settings are pedestrian compared to power toggles, and the multi user garbage has really over complicated the file structure and made a mess out of migrations and root apps. I could go on and on and complain about the fact that they ruined airplane mode etc but I've got better things to do. I couldn't stand it so I personally installed CM10 m2 after trying 4.2 for a couple of days. I may try CMs version of 4.2 when its ready to see if they did a better job with it.
    I may do that as well. Usually, the CM versions will "fix" the stock ROMs shortcomings.
    TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean 4.1.2 ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 1 (i717) • CM11 4.4.2 kitkat (jamied)
    Samsung GalaxyTab 3 (7 in) • Deleterious ROM
    HTC EVO 4G • Deck's Reloaded ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (i317) unlocked • Ditto Note 3.1.1 (4.3) ROM
    B&N Nook Color (Gifted to relative)
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail • Half A$$ed ROM
    EVO Shift• JellyBelly ROM
    Samsung Galaxy S3 • DanKang 4.3.1 ROM

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I may do that as well. Usually, the CM versions will "fix" the stock ROMs shortcomings.
    I've found that to be the case also, especially if you don't jump in too early.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

I was trying my best to adjust to the other changes...but I'm with you folks. They don't need to put in half baked changes as if they were Samsung or Apple. Less is usually better. Keep it simple.
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...

Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

I don't much care for the new lock screen, or the widgets on it, but I have no problem with the clock widget. I actually kind of like it. I don't like a busy lock screen, and so don't add additional widgets on my home screen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I like the new clock, didn't like the right swipe to camera or the other widgets. I use the Lock screen Policy app to switch them off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Here's a new lock screen widget that replaces the new one with one that has the former JB look.

tube517 likes this.

ROM
    MiNCO

I hate it. In fact the whole clock app starts to look a bit like metro.

Transmitted from my Nexus Prime

Global Posts
    663 Global Posts

My problem with the new clock is not the font, but the fact that it does not display date and alarm time when in dock/Daydream mode.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

I am very new to Android, so maybe someone with patience can explain to me how I add the fixclock widget (or any widget for that matter) to my lock screen? I can place the widget on any of my other screens, but cannot figure out how to put it on the lock screen. I didn't find anything on a google search other than some apps for adding lock screen widgets. Is this not a native function?
    And yea, I don't like the bold font either.

TIA
    Last edited by mgh24; 11-28-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mgh24 View Post
    I am very new to Android, so maybe someone with patience can explain to me how I add the fixclock widget (or any widget for that matter) to my lock screen? I can place the widget on any of my other screens, but cannot figure out how to put it on the lock screen. I didn't find anything on a google search other than some apps for adding lock screen widgets. Is this not a native function?
    And yea, I don't like the bold font either.

TIA
    I'm not exactly sure how I did it, and you're correct, the instructions are definitely MIA.

I would start from the existing lock screen page, put your finger on left edge of screen, and then swipe right. You should see a big "±". Click on the "+" and you should, assuming you've installed it, be able to select the new widget. I think you may have to then delete the existing widget and slide the new one over. Honestly at that point I just fumbled around until I got it to be on the main lock screen. Its really not clear at all how the install works.
    Thanked by 2:
    mgh24tube517 

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Perfect. Worked just as you described. Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by mgh24 View Post
    Perfect. Worked just as you described. Thanks a lot!
    Great. It really is hard to explain and Google needs to give some detailed instructions.

the new clock is HIDEOUS. i don;t now why android keeps getting uglier and uglier. it seems there are a lot of androis designers out there with nothing to do -- and no class.

im going to try to find a widget to replace it.

thanks so much!
    (im orig from nc also )

"To use, select "Fixed Clock" as the widget from the launcher (to add it to your homescreen) and/or the lockscreen (to add it there)."

what does this mean? i have downloaded the widget and i see it, but how do i "select [it] from the launcher" ? i dont get it.

"You must add the Fixed 4.2 Clock Widget to your lockscreen in order for the application to work as intended!"

how does one "add" the Fixed Clock widget to the lockscreen?

----

ok, i got it.

"Add a widget to the lock screen

Swipe from left to right across the top of the screen until you see the Plus icon .
    Touch the Plus icon . If prompted, enter your PIN, pattern, or password.

A list of widgets appears. Apps that support lock screen widgets can add their own widgets to this list.
    Touch the widget you want to add."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast