Screen randomly goes blank since 4.2

RoccOn16v

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Ever since I updated to 4.2, my nexus screen will randomly turn off and not turn back on again. It still takes inputs (I still get haptic feedback after touching the screen), but turning it on and off again only affects the backlight, the whole screen stays blank. A reboot fixes the problem... just curious if anybody else has experienced this or found a fix?

Thanks in advance!

Nico Kempe

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I seem to have the exact same problem.
Updated my Galaxy Nexus to Android 4.2 last week. Since then I've had several times when:
- the screen suddenly turns off
- the device is still active (notification light works, haptic feedback works)
- the only way to get it back on again is to take out the battery and give it a cold boot..

I have tried to change the screen brightness when this happened, but with a blank screen that's obviously quite difficult, and it hasn't helped yet.
I imagine it has something to do with auto-brightness.

This page seems to confirm the issue somewhat. Along with many other issues on 4.2.. :/

RoccOn16v

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Ahh good, so at least I'm not the only one. I guess I'll turn off autobrightness for the time being and see if that fixes it. Thanks Nico

samiksuresh

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
hi -I recently bought a nexus 5 32gigabite -- since yesterday I noticed a problem -- when I waive my finger / hand on top of the phone -- the phone goes blank and if hand moved slightly down or top the phone works --is anybody facing this problem.