Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By jedluke
  • 1 Post By e2ackbar
  • 1 Post By cellomj
  • 1 Post By Jonneh
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GNex 4.2.1 OTA Rolling out!

I received an OTA notification at about 4PM EST and lo and behold it was 4.2.1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GNex 4.2.1 OTA Rolling out!-gnex-4.2.1.jpg  
    tube517 and Jonneh like this.

ROM
    Stock ICS

Default Re: GNex 4.2.1 OTA Rolling out!

Yes, got it this afternoon. Closing apps has become much snappier, scrolling seems more smooth, and my Bluetooth stayed solid on the way home.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    tube517 likes this.

Just got it too! So far lock screen widgets seem much smoother and there isn't that lag when going to the camera from the lock screen. Swiping up from the home button for Google now also seems to pull the keyboard up quicker. Can't wait to see what else they've improved.

tube517 likes this.

Received it a couple days ago and it is a nice little update. Now if they can just tweak the speaker volume on the next update such as the creater of speaker boost and volume+, we will be all set.

I got 4.2 a little while back and I've already gotten 4.2.1 (which hit early this afternoon while I was in class). Ah, the benefits of a Nexus device!
    con5150 likes this.

Got mine by force closing the Google services framework, clearing data, and checking for the update. It took 6 times but it worked.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by jleakey; 11-30-2012 at 12:14 AM.

ROM
    Stock JellyBean

Got mine too after playing with framework services.

Got mine last night......I have noticed that all my recent updates have hit after 8pm NY time.....I'm in the Bronx

Got mine yesterday. I notice that if I swipe donw on the clock widget on the lock screen now I see the times in the additional cities that I added. Not sure if that is how it is supposed to function, but it is an improvement. Analog setting still does not work.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus

I forced mine. Worked after the second try. I love Google.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post
    I forced mine. Worked after the second try. I love Google.
    If you wouldn't mind, what are the steps to force it? I can't remember.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

4.2, still waiting for the 4.2.1. Pondering just flashing it myself.... other then the "December" bug fix, have you guys noticed anything else?

ROM
    Stock JellyBean

Quote Originally Posted by dancing-bass View Post
    4.2, still waiting for the 4.2.1. Pondering just flashing it myself.... other then the "December" bug fix, have you guys noticed anything else?
    Here is what I noticed.
    -The Bluetooth seems to be better. After 4.2, my phone was getting disconnected from the Bluetooth Handsfree system quiet frequently. This seems to be fixed. I also listened to Youtube for a while with a BT headset, it was working for me.
    -Seems like more widgets that can be added from the lock screen. I have NFC app and it appears in the list of widgets. (Not sure if this was there already). So maybe in future more apps will register/use this feature.
    -When I loose the mobile network, it seems to get back to the network better than before. There were times I had to do the 'Airplane' mode On and Off to force it.

Issues:
    -If I cycle the brightness in the Power Control widget, when i comes back to the custom setting, it seems to reset the screen brightness setting that I previously did. This was there in 4.2, its kind of irritating.
    -The quick setting doesn't display my picture even though I have it in my contacts. When I click on it it brings the contact "Me" up with my pic. Signing into G+ also didn't help, I keep google+ disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by beck79 View Post
    -The quick setting doesn't display my picture even though I have it in my contacts. When I click on it it brings the contact "Me" up with my pic. Signing into G+ also didn't help, I keep google+ disabled.

Thanks! As a rule, I don't use BT but it's good to know. The network drop-out/refresh issue sounds good too. I had HORRIBLE problems dropping out, esp on WiFi.

As for the profile picture showing up in the quick settings, I think that only shows up when you're signed into GooglePlus. I have my contact card filled out complete with picture, but my G+ pic only shows up when I sign into it. (That's ok though, I do use G+ occasionally)

EDIT: Shortly after I posted in this thread I got the 4.2.1 update

Had 4.2.1 for about 5 hours now. And just rebooted itself in my pocket. My Gnex never did that before. 4.2 brought on launcher crashes and resets and was made it lag more often. And the 1-2 second delay when pressing the screen-off button is still there and still annoys the hell outta me. Makes me wanna get 4.1 back on here. the version that was just fine the way it was.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    If you wouldn't mind, what are the steps to force it? I can't remember.
    Go to settings/apps/all and scroll down until you see Google Services framework click on it force stop and clear data.

Once that is done check for the update again. If it's not there repeat the steps.... It took me 6 tries before it showed up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    663 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle81 View Post
    Had 4.2.1 for about 5 hours now. And just rebooted itself in my pocket. My Gnex never did that before. 4.2 brought on launcher crashes and resets and was made it lag more often. And the 1-2 second delay when pressing the screen-off button is still there and still annoys the hell outta me. Makes me wanna get 4.1 back on here. the version that was just fine the way it was.
    I do not have these problems. Some people have reported better experience with 4.2 by:
    - disable Google Currents background sync
    - reboot into recovery and wipe cache (NOT data)

I have done both and I am OK with the performance (maybe slightly worse than 4.1 in some places) and no crash/reboot so far. Maybe it's some app that you are using that is not compatible with 4.2.

Just popped up on my phone. But it said 4.2, not 4.2.1 so I was confused. Especially when the download (which happened off Wi-Fi) was less than a MB.

Phone is just completing the upgrade now...
    @PegCityNerd

Quote Originally Posted by knightfall View Post
    Just popped up on my phone. But it said 4.2, not 4.2.1 so I was confused. Especially when the download (which happened off Wi-Fi) was less than a MB.

Phone is just completing the upgrade now...
    That is because it is just a bug fix so the whole os does not need to download.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2