Verizon Galaxy Nexus for first smartphone?

Sword Dancer

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I am thinking about getting the Galaxy Nexus. I have a Nexus 7 (which I love BTW), so I want to make sure that my tablet and phone are running the same version of Android. I don't believe that the Galaxy S3 is running 4.2, at least officially. That's why the Galaxy Nexus looked appealing.

So does that Galaxy Nexus get the updates on day, or do you have to wait like with the Galaxy S3?

Last edited:

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
There is really no way to get updates day one with a VZW device. The closest you get is running CM 10 or other ROMs by developers who update consistently.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Sword Dancer

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, so as fas as updates and the user interface is concerned would the Galaxy Nexus be a better phone to get over the S3?

I am looking for a pure google experience without an extra UI stuff added.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
if you root, you can put the updates on yourself when there is a ROM out there. With the Nexus, you get that pretty quick from the developer community. Even so, you will still get the updates faster on that device than any other on Verizon.

That being said, the SGS3 is a better overall phone than the Gnex.

simplyapplied

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Don't get a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, there's no real benefit. The S3 is a better phone in most every way and you'll get the JB update soon enough. I think it's scheduled for an early 2013 release.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Alcarnor14

May 19, 2011
Visit site
That being said, the SGS3 is a better overall phone than the Gnex.

If you want more of a vanilla android experience, a RAZR HD might be more to your liking. If you live or work where signal strength isn't all that great, I'd definitely recommend the RAZR.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I would love to have a clear idea of why it seems to take VZW an inordinate amourt of time to certify new Galaxy Nexus SW updates.

It would seem to me that their concern should be the radio and any SW associated with the radio, not the core OS.

Thus it should be a relatively quick process to test the SW and approve it for release, considering their main concern should be radio performance, not the overarching functionality of Android as this is a Nexus and the overarching SW performance should be Google's domain.

While leaving on a business trip, I did happen to sit next to a VZW corporate employee (Marketing) in the gate area and during our chat I did ask him why it seems to take VZW an unusually long time to approve SW updates and he was completely honest that he was unsure.

He did add that it is disappointing (including he himself and other VZW employees) when SW updates are released to other handsets but VZW branded handsets receive the update much later.

Dan

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
From a marketing standpoint it would be. Other than the Nexus, it takes them so long because they bake in the bloat so it is hard to remove. They have no excuse for the Nexus.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
OK, so as fas as updates and the user interface is concerned would the Galaxy Nexus be a better phone to get over the S3?

I am looking for a pure google experience without an extra UI stuff added.

If you are looking for a "pure google experience" then you are looking at a Nexus from the Play Store which will be a GSM phone that is not compatible with Verizon (or Sprint). Any time a carrier steps in between you and Google you will be subject to the carrier's update schedule and any additional "tweaks".

And no, rooting will not allow OTA updates.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc