Remapping search button to search locally within an app

TheWheel#AC

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I just started using the Samsung Google Nexus S SPH-D720 and one of the things that I have noticed is when I press the search button it opens the search app. Frequently, what I want to do is search within an app. For example, in the Gmail app, I might want to search only within my e-mails not through everything on the phone. On my previous android phone, when the Gmail app was open and I pressed the search button, it would open search within the app rather than a search across the entire phone. Is there any way to change the search button so that when pressed, it opens search within the particular app I have open at the time and not open the search app to search across the entire phone?

Thank you in advance for your help.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
It is not available in a "pure" android phone (Nexus). That may have been an added option in your old phone that was not part of the stock Android ROM.

TheWheel#AC

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response. That is so frustrating. That means I am not able to quickly search for contacts either... I don't understand why they would make it a global command instead of a local command in the app. Is there any way to remap buttons or does that require rooting?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I believe there is still a patent issue involved with Apple. For instance, you cannot say "Play Don't Fear the Reaper" and have the search function start playing it from your Play Music app list of downloaded songs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21