Is the Galaxy Nexus still worth?

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
So I want to buy a smartphone. It will be my first one.
I've been looking and comparing and I think that a Nexus is the best choice in this price range. Others are HTC One S, Galaxy S2, Xperia P, S3 Mini. Which are great but they don't have pure Android, which I find a bit unacceptable being a Linux fan, hardware problems wich unreleased updates, inferior Android versions, ugly design and so on.
I've been also considering the Nexus 4 but Play Store isn't available in my country and I think it's gonna take a couple of months until our retailers will start selling it. And I'd rather wait to see how the glass cracking problems are solved.
Do you think that the Galaxy Nexus is still a good phone?
How many updates will it receive from now on?

bimgike75

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the Galaxy Nexus is a great phone (I use one). It gets all the updates that the Nexus 4 gets and it should continue to get them for the next couple years. I wouldn't even consider buying anything non-Nexus.

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
The Galaxy Nexus is a great phone, I absolutely love mine.....updates since the Nexus 4 was released were basically a few days later...people here who know a lot more about this than me say the G Nexus will continue to get updates....key lime pie and such.

Curious, can you still buy the Galaxy Nexus from the Play Store in your country?

knightfall

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Still worth it, yes.

My phone is only months old and I have little envy for the Nexus 4. LTE would be nice (tricks have been found to make that work here in Canada) as would be the processing speed. But I have plenty of apps loaded and so far, it hasn't slowed down. H+ is fairly snappy too.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd agree with Knightfall. I love my Galaxy Nexus. About the only reason I want the Nexus4 is because it's "new and shiny" and my Gnex isn't. I'd say go for it!

Madridista85

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I already agree the Galaxy Nexus is a good choice for any body and i used one. His the best and the Nexus phones are a good experience for every one like enjoy with best smartphone and pure android.
And his the best one for any developer to make a roms for this phone and easy edit the system and make him better.

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Galaxy Nexus is still great! Especially once you root and install custom rom, you don't need to have Jelly Bean 4.2.1. Still on 4.1.2 customised rom and kicks ass!!!! :D

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Agree with everyone here I have a GSM GNex and the more I use it with a custom 4.2.1 ROM the more I realize that I can wait until the Nexus 4 isn't constantly back ordered and don't have to deal with greedy Craigslist sellers to get one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
There's no doubt it's still worth getting. Although since the Nexus 4 is out now, look for a good deal on your Galaxy Nexus. Shop around and find a good price.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually surprised Google didn't keep the GNex in the Play Store as an even cheaper option...

That said I picked up my GNex today after not touching it for a couple weeks (since getting my Nexus 4) and I have to say there's really only two reasons why I can't see myself ever being able to go back: screen and build quality.

I'm not saying LG hit this one outta the park, but lord does the GNex feel cheap. As far as the screen, I can't quite put my finger on it, but the N4's just looks a lot nicer. Don't get me wrong, I love the phone and used it from the day it came out, but as much as you can keep the software up to date, you can't really improve the hardware:(

...just my two cents:)

Nuuq

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I am asking the same question. Does someone knows for how long willl Nexus get updates? I am thinking of buying one tomorow :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know, Google stopped updating the original Nexus with 4.2. So, I think 3years worth of updates if I'm right. And if I'm not, please correct me. To the best of my knowledge, Google will continue to provide updates for a Nexus device as long as the hardware is able to run the software acceptably well.

fifthbus

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I just recently purchased this phone from a guy on craigslist because he had purchased a nexus 4. I've been thoroughly impressed with this phone from the moment I picked it up. Comparing this to the nexus 4 is a bit like comparing a car to the following year's model. Sure there are a few upgrades but they both still run incredibly well and they're both better than a bicycle. If you can get a galaxy nexus for significantly cheaper than a nexus 4 I'd recommend it immediately.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know, Google stopped updating the original Nexus with 4.2. So, I think 3years worth of updates if I'm right. And if I'm not, please correct me. To the best of my knowledge, Google will continue to provide updates for a Nexus device as long as the hardware is able to run the software acceptably well.

The Nexus S didn't get 4.2 and it is just about two year old hardware. Based on that the GNex and N4 should get updates for at least two years from their release date unless Google deals the hardware can't handle the software.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site

If you're referring to the Nexus One then...it didn't go past Gingerbread =/ That said, there are JB ROMs for it that actually work pretty damn well. One thing is for certain, no matter what Nexus you get, the dev community will have you covered for years even if Google doesn't.

Last edited:

lobilo

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The original Nexus (Nexus One) was updated until 2.3 Gingerbread, the Nexus S was updated until 4.1, but I think the Galaxy Nexus willl get updates for at least another year or two since it is more powerful.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Galaxy Nexus is a sweet phone. I love it. I'm a Nexus fan for sure. Great features. To this point I've stayed with ICS and like it, but then I'm not one to chase every upgrade. I have the Nexus S as well on 2.3 and will upgrade to ICS on that phone. The GNEX is a nice size, and so far has been super dependable. Battery life could be better but then aside from the Droid Razr, no battery lasts s long as I want. I don't think you'll be disappointed.