Project butter...has it completely melted?

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Android 4.2 and 4.2.1 on my Galaxy Nexus are anything but butter smooth. Resetting doesn't help. A ton of apps are nothing but a chore to use. All apps take significantly longer to open and load, most don't even resume where they left off anymore. Screens hang and drag on the home screens. Google Now can some times take nearly 10 seconds to be usable. Swiftkey appears and reappears seemingly at will.

It seems like while Google is way ahead everyone else in the Android world is months and months behind. How long am I supposed to wait for apps to update? How do I know if they ever will update them because the vast majority of their users are on Gingerbread and ICS.

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Everything works fine for me... Smooth and fast. No complaints!

Edited by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

hellomiggy

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The best thing I can tell you to do is back up your information somehow, and Download the Stock image of 4.2.1 from google and install it from there. My device is smooth and transitions very well. There are videos on YouTube that can help you unlock your device and what not. Even on here... I believe one of the sticky's, teaches you how to install a stock image. Trust me it's not hard.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
You definitely had a bad update, mine is slightly jinky, but nothing like you describe. A clean install of the ROM should straighten it out.

As far as updates I find that they have been fast and furious with updates. At least all the really big Apps that are common. Hope you get it straightened out.

As a side note I would just as soon be on 4.1 myself, but it hasn't been so bad that it imperative.

Ricanxd

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I myself feel that 4.2 seems to be far less smooth than 4.1. I have been having some issues as well. Seems like the BT issue is across the board as well

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm running a 4.2.1 rom and everything is still buttery smooth. Even better now imo

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

vsnlweb

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
What phones are you guys using? Every manufacturer is different...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

anon(1019781)

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a minimally modded custom rom and have noticed no major issues with lag. Sure the camera is weird and all but I don't have a problem with my phone overall.

You should consider installing custom recovery and wiping the phone clean yourself.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a minimally modded custom rom and have noticed no major issues with lag. Sure the camera is weird and all but I don't have a problem with my phone overall.

You should consider installing custom recovery and wiping the phone clean yourself.

+1

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

codejinchu

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have notice the lag lately and I look into it from the basic apps running and the latest Facebook update takes up 50mb of ram. Now I don't use Facebook much so I decided to uninstall it and the lag stop. I don't know if it something to do with the Facebook software or maybe a conflict with jellybean 4.2.1. Try it and see if you see a difference.

helspawn

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I feel the key is to keep the ram free by refreshing it with apps like task killer n sorts.... Swype does not install on 4.2 and so i moved to swiftkey flow.... It's amazing as well... Try it...

codejinchu

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
To comment on this issue again I gotta agree on 4.2.1 kinda kill project butter. I was playing around the app launcher and the scrolling has lost it smooth animation. What worst is scrolling thru the widgets it completely lags. I'm seriously thinking of rooting and installing CM10 cause this update is like going backwards.