Rooting and ROM!? Help me...

Nuuq

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,
I am new with android so is there some article or smth to read about ROM and rooting, pros and cons, and what does it even mean.
Reasons why I am even considering this is that I would love to have louder ringer tones, and better battery life. Can I do it with rooting and ROM? AS i understod rooting gives you ability to put costume ROM in the phone.
Sorry for noobish questions, but just went from ios to android.
I am thinking of doing this on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone. Not on N7.
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7

15israellai

May 9, 2011
Visit site
As you just came from iOS I seriously wouldn't recommend you root and ROM. Indeed they can do a lot of things, like a kernel could help battery life or you could block ads. But dude, enjoy your new phone for some more time first, and if you really wanna do it, do more research first. That's my opinion.

Transmitted from my Nexus Prime

Jett2314

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I agree you must read up and then when you think you understand it all read a little more. Once you understand the basics of ADB push, backing up your data, and so on, root and start to flash ROMS. There is a toolkit out there which will walk you through every step and is almost 100% fool proof. You have one of the best phones out there so enjoy it. You be warned, flashing roms can be additive.

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I think you should do some research on how to root and please do take time! don't think it will work 100% everytime.
It took me hours to root and install custom rom because i didn't read properly, and nearly bricked my phone.
Go through androidcentral forum and xda developers forum as well, got tons of information on just rooting, custom rom and lots more.
Youtube is really good to see videos of the steps and procedures so you know what you are doing on the computer and to your phone.
To answer your question about louder ring tones and battery life, majority of custom rom can boost them.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree with all so far on the common point of waiting and playing with your phone for a while and then read up on the various aspects of rooting your phone. Figure out what your phone can do as well as what you like and don't like before you start to tinker. You may find that you like it just the way it is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums