Massive Google+ battery drain

nipcarlover

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Recently I have been facing massive battery drain due to Google+, it shows around 1 hr 30 min to 2 hr awake time.
It kills the battery massively.
Anybody else facing this? If you were and you solved it, please share. :)

sidamos

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I have also seen this. Additionally Google+ downloaded lots of data (15 MB) in the background with all sync settings to off. So, I signed out of the Google+ app. Too many issues...

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Do you have Google+ set to automatically download your pictures and video? If so, it could be that you just took a lot of pictures. You can turn that off, or just set it up to only do it while on wifi to save bandwidth and only while charging to save battery.

Hope this helps.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Have everything regarding sync or auto download in Google+ off.

Yeah, I'm not sure what that would be, though I'd check the photo settings anyway. Also, maybe you can uninstall (reinstall if you like) to see if there is a change in drain. Was the 15mb over a really short period?

sidamos

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not sure what that would be, though I'd check the photo settings anyway. Also, maybe you can uninstall (reinstall if you like) to see if there is a change in drain. Was the 15mb over a really short period?

It was on half a day.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I have been having this problem too. I actually like G+, but this is totally unacceptible. I have gone from 20hrs of battery life to about 6-8hrs. I have even tried to uninstall, but that doesn't appear to be an option. I guess it is part of the Google Experience...

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't that forbid background data for ALL apps?

Not to my knowledge. This should restrict it for the app only. The global way would be to go to Settings/Data Usage/Menu/Restrict Background data.

Please let me know if I'm wrong.

nb

Last edited:

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully the new update fixes this problem. Oddly enough now, maps is draining my battery. Responsible for 61% of battery usage, and my phone is at 30% after 7.5 hrs. I have no idea what is going on with these google apps.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It has worked for me, however now I am getting massive drain from the Maps app. I have no idea what is going on with these Google apps. I checked and it is only downloading a few Mbs of data. I think it is something wrong with the app itself. Any idea on fixes?

Darren Reilly

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I had been facing this problem as well and discovered a fix that worked on my Galaxy S3.

The issue had been causing my phone to drain to 0% battery within 8 hours. I am a very light user. Looking at the battery profile within Settings, Google+ was taking about 35% of the battery life, which is very high for an app that remains idle most of the time.

I noticed that Google+ was integrated into the Android OS, rather than being a stand alone app. This wasn't the set up in the out of the box OS, so I assumed something had gone wrong when Android changed the status of the app. So, there was probably some old data hanging around on the phone that the new App was struggling to cycle through and was thus caught in an endless loop. For me, this theory proved true (or seemingly so anyway!). My battery is down to 80% after about five hours of medium use today, so a vast improvement has been seen as a result.

The solution is simple and involves uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of the app (but not uninstalling the app completely, which is an unavailable option):
- Go the Settings->Applications Manager
- Make sure you are in the 'Downloaded' list of applications (swipe left/right until 'Downloaded' is the title of the current list.
- Select the Google+ app
- Wait a few moments for the phone to calculate the size of the Data and Cache
- Once the option buttons become available (not greyed out), Select 'Clear Data'
- Select 'Clear Cache'
- Select 'Clear Defaults' (this last bit is probably not necessary, but let's do it just in case)
- All of the data values being shown under Data and Cache should now be '0'
- Now, click 'Uninstall Updates'

This will give you the old version of Google+, but with no data or cache associated with it.

DO NOT OPEN GOOGLE+ at this point.

- Restart your phone.
- Go to the Play store and download the latest version of Google+
- Open it and log in.
- Amend your settings (because you may have turned off auto-backup thinking it was the issue - it wasn't so turn it back on if you want)

Monitor the battery usage for Google+ - it should now be back to a reasonable percentage of the battery use.

I hope this helps others. I was going out of my mind trying to find a resolution to this one and couldn?t find one that wasn?t a hard factory reset.

wiersmab

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
My Galaxy 3 with Jelly Bean 4.3 shows Google + accounting for 33% of my battery drain and Google Search accounting for 27% drain. With this combination my battery life is reduces by about 2/3rds over what it had been. Jelly Bean 4.3 is a disaster. Goodbye Google +. Juice Defender, help us please - quickly.

Incitatus

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I was experiencing the same thing with G+.

I had a bad battery drain problem a year or two ago on gmaps. With the gmaps problem, it was actually other apps that accessed my location to feed me local news / advertisements.

I thought back to the most recent app I installed, and remembered I used my G+ credentials to sign into this other app.

Remove the other app, or chose a different sign in process, and the G+ drain problem went away.

Good luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza