Need Help deciding between Galaxy Nexus vs Galaxy Note 1

vegetto_456

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys. Love this forum and all the great info on here :)

I am selling my Blackberry and am stuck deciding between a Galaxy nexus and Galaxy Note 1. I have no experience with Android and I was wondering if you guys can help and make suggestions? I realize that phone choices are subjective and personal, but with that said, I have no idea what to look for and I could really use the help.

Thanks in Advance! :)

vegetto_456

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Which would be better for multimedia consumption and gaming? Which one do you like more if I may ask?
Either phone is going to be a huge upgrade for me (in every sense of the word lol) coming from a Bold 9900.

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
probably Note.. larger screen better for video. Not sure about games.. i think you'll probably be happy with any of those two.

gtbarry

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Which would be better for multimedia consumption and gaming? Which one do you like more if I may ask?
Either phone is going to be a huge upgrade for me (in every sense of the word lol) coming from a Bold 9900.

You should give us more information on how you will use the device. You are coming from a world where there wasn't as much choice or variety. Here, things are indvidualized for the uniqueness that is you. From the hardware to what the lockscreen to what the homescreen, etc look like, it can all be customized.

Screensize of the Note will be bigger (5.3 vs. 4.65). But since the screens are 1280x800 vs. 1280x720 respectively, the Nexus might look slightly better.

Android versions will be significantly different. The Note probably comes with Gingerbread and MIGHT get an upgrade immediately or soon to Ice Cream Sandwich. The Nexus probably comes with ICS and MIGHT get an upgrade immediately or soon to Jelly Bean. You fail to mention the carrier you are purchasing from. What version of Android your phone will have and when/if it will be upgraded is 100% up to the carrier.

Android version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also keep in mind that the Note's cameras are both one step higher in quality over the Nexus.

Last edited:

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
You should give us more information on how you will use the device. You are coming from a world where there wasn't as much choice or variety. Here, things are indvidualized for the uniqueness that is you. From the hardware to what the lockscreen to what the homescreen, etc look like, it can all be customized.

Screensize of the Note will be bigger (5.3 vs. 4.65). But since the screens are 1280x800 vs. 1280x720 respectively, the Nexus might look slightly better.

Android versions will be significantly different. The Note probably comes with Gingerbread and MIGHT get an upgrade immediately or soon to Ice Cream Sandwich. The Nexus probably comes with ICS and MIGHT get an upgrade immediately or soon to Jelly Bean. You fail to mention the carrier you are purchasing from. What version of Android your phone will have and when/if it will be upgraded is 100% up to the carrier.

Also keep in mind that the Note's cameras are both one step higher in quality over the Nexus.

I believe by now all GNotes have been updated to ICS 4.0.4, I know my AT&T has been and they are usually the last to do so.

I own both phones. If your focus is media and gaming I think the GNote is choice as the larger screen is notable in such uses.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
What people fail to mention is the extra plus you get with the note is the s pen. It has its own set of functions on the note that include handwritten data entry.

It is a throwback to the days of stylus based smartphones. A major plus in my opinion, as I cut my smartphone teeth on PDAs.

Might I ask, why not the newly released note 2 or nexus 4? I could see if it is a money issue, but with the newer devices, you get the better processors and Jelly Bean OS which is the latest out there (the nexus having a newer version than the note 2 as of now).

Although, as mentioned earlier, it will all depend on the use of the device as well as your carrier of choice. If you are in the US, the note only works on at&t and t-mobile due to GSM, but the galaxy nexus has those two plus verizon. Not sure if sprint carries it or not.

The same issue applies to the nexus 4, as not all carriers have it right now and can only be used on GSM carriers at&t as well as t-mobile. The note 2 is on all carriers now and is widely available.

I have a note 1 and a note 2, and have friends with the galaxy nexus, and some things my phone will do better and some things theirs will do better. Just depends on location and cell signal.

Horsepower for the galaxy nexus and note are pretty similar with the nexus having a slight edge due to no carrier software installed possibly slowing the device down a degree. The nexus will also get updates before a carrier branded phone as google controls the updating, not the carriers for the nexus.

Also, don't feel afraid of Android. If you used BB for a long while there will be a learning curve, but if it was easy to learn, then that would just get boring rather quickly. Might as well just get an iphone if you want boring. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

vegetto_456

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
it depends.. phablets (note) are kinda like a combination of tablet & phone. Galaxy Nexus is just a regular smart phone.

probably Note.. larger screen better for video. Not sure about games.. i think you'll probably be happy with any of those two.

What people fail to mention is the extra plus you get with the note is the s pen. It has its own set of functions on the note that include handwritten data entry.

It is a throwback to the days of stylus based smartphones. A major plus in my opinion, as I cut my smartphone teeth on PDAs.

Might I ask, why not the newly released note 2 or nexus 4? I could see if it is a money issue, but with the newer devices, you get the better processors and Jelly Bean OS which is the latest out there (the nexus having a newer version than the note 2 as of now).

Although, as mentioned earlier, it will all depend on the use of the device as well as your carrier of choice. If you are in the US, the note only works on at&t and t-mobile due to GSM, but the galaxy nexus has those two plus verizon. Not sure if sprint carries it or not.

The same issue applies to the nexus 4, as not all carriers have it right now and can only be used on GSM carriers at&t as well as t-mobile. The note 2 is on all carriers now and is widely available.

I have a note 1 and a note 2, and have friends with the galaxy nexus, and some things my phone will do better and some things theirs will do better. Just depends on location and cell signal.

Horsepower for the galaxy nexus and note are pretty similar with the nexus having a slight edge due to no carrier software installed possibly slowing the device down a degree. The nexus will also get updates before a carrier branded phone as google controls the updating, not the carriers for the nexus.

Also, don't feel afraid of Android. If you used BB for a long while there will be a learning curve, but if it was easy to learn, then that would just get boring rather quickly. Might as well just get an iphone if you want boring. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone :) I am in over my head a bit and I have been trying to read online and learn a bit. Coming for a BB I can see there is a learning curve, but I guess that's part of the fun right? I have decided on a Galaxy Nexus and am looking around now for the best deal locally. I have tried the note 1 a bit more, and Im not liking at as much as I had initially to be honest. But now I hear Canadian Nexus phones don't get updates right away from google (Darn you Samsung!:mad:) but i am assuming there is a workaround for this.

Again thanks everyone, can't wait to get mine and tinker around with it. I just saw the thread where everyone posts their home screens on XDA and I'm BLOWN AWAY. I'm so freaking pumped! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone :) I am in over my head a bit and I have been trying to read online and learn a bit. Coming for a BB I can see there is a learning curve, but I guess that's part of the fun right? I have decided on a Galaxy Nexus and am looking around now for the best deal locally. I have tried the note 1 a bit more, and Im not liking at as much as I had initially to be honest. But now I hear Canadian Nexus phones don't get updates right away from google (Darn you Samsung!:mad:) but i am assuming there is a workaround for this.

Again thanks everyone, can't wait to get mine and tinker around with it. I just saw the thread where everyone posts their home screens on XDA and I'm BLOWN AWAY. I'm so freaking pumped! :D
There are more folks came from BlackBerry here than you would ever guess, including me. It will take 2 weeks maybe a month before you are as confident on an Android as you were on a BlackBerry, especially if you were on BlackBerry for a while, but it comes and when it does you will see there is a lot to recommend Android. Keep asking questions like this - this group is as helpful as the folks on CrackBerry are.

If there is a delay in getting the OS update it's the carrier who sells the phone, not Samsung.= Here is the States the GSM Nexus phone come directly from Google as no carrier picked it up, but the Verizon and Sprint CDMA phones have to wait on the carrier to pass along the updates. They get it from Google, then run whatever tests they want to run. So if there is a delay in Canada it's the carrier, not Samsung - who built the phone, but doesn't have anything to do with the software.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie