new problem adding apps to folders -- Jelly Bean

Richard Werbin1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
This problem started happening recently.

Before this problem started, I could drag an app icon to a folder, see a blue circle around the folder and drop the app into the folder.

Recently I found that most of the time if I drag an app icon to a folder, the folder moves out of the way and I can't add that app to the folder.
If I keep trying, I can sometimes get the blue halo and drop the app into the folder. It is very erratic and inconsistent.

Could it be a setting? Could it be some app that I added?
The only odd app I am using is Widgetsoid which recently updated to a new version.

Do you have any ideas about what is causing the problem and how to fix it?

wxrusss8

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happens to me on my nexus 7. It's very haphazard. I have not found out why it happens. If that happens try opening the folder and closing it and try again.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I believe it is more difficult now because JB resizes icons on the fly to fit the screen. It still works, just more cumbersome.

arturodelac

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
If you do it slowly it will move it out of the way, if you do it fast it will enter the folder

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

srparr

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I've run into this a couple times. The workaround to fix it is straightforward: make sure to open the app then exit, then open the folder and close it. After each has been opened/closed you will be able to drop the app icon into the folder.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tips.
Doing it fast seems to help. Also open / close idea helps.
glad you found how to do this. this is taken from google support page

"Rearrange Home screens. Slide an icon slowly to move other icons or widgets gently aside. Touch & hold an icon and slide slowly to the location of your choice. Slide an icon quickly over another to create a folder."

r1m2

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I am still having this issue in Nexus 4, with JB 4.2.1, and no customization or custom widget/launch apps. I have been able to create 4 folders on home screen, with 9, 11, 4 and 12 shortcuts respectively in each.

I have 4 additional shortcuts on the home screen for soundhound, handwrite, a contact and a horoscope+ sign.

When I try to drop the soundhound shortcut or the contact shortcut onto one of the existing folders, it fails a few times but then it eventually works, I get the blue circle around the folders and then I can drop it.

But I am having no luck in moving the handwrite, and the horoscope app shortcuts into any of the folders. I am trying to move these 2 icons the same way I am able to move the soundhound and the contact icon in and out of these folders. Doing it faster or slower and opening closing folder/app does not solve the problem.

Also I am not able to drop these two icons onto other icons to create new folders either!

Have anyone figured out if this issue has to do with the application, or the dimension of the icon, or some other settings in JB 4.2.1?

TIA

Last edited:

Munkyluvva

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
"If you do it slowly it will move it out of the way, if you do it fast it will enter the folder"

Thank you so much! This has been bugging the crap out of me for weeks. Works perfect!

Lfen

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I found the solution to this.. It was doing the same thing to me and was driving me nuts.. Then I went to settings, then developer settings and changed the animation speed. I previously had it set to none because it wanted it to be fast. but by slowing it down, I can now drag icons into folders and I can do it as slowly as I want.

standuncan

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I tried this trick, of opening the folder and then closing it, and then opening the app and closing it, and then trying again to place the app inside the folder, but it made no difference. The two will still not go together.
I also tried doing it slowly, and then fast, then slow, then fast...nothing worked. And I haven't reached the limit of my 16 folders yet (I have four).

Anyone else have any other solutions?

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Not a fix but my work around was to pull out one of dock folders or icons, leaving one space for the folder I wanted to add to. Stick my folder temporarily in the dock. Once a folder is in the dock it can't move and I can easily add my new item.

kingofkats

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Here we are a year later with a brand new release of Android (4.4 KitKat) and and a new Android Jefe, and STILL Google has not fixed this bug. I guess this means it's a feature.
This problem started happening recently.
Before this problem started, I could drag an app icon to a folder, see a blue circle around the folder and drop the app into the folder.

Recently I found that most of the time if I drag an app icon to a folder, the folder moves out of the way and I can't add that app to the folder.
If I keep trying, I can sometimes get the blue halo and drop the app into the folder. It is very erratic and inconsistent.

Could it be a setting? Could it be some app that I added?
The only odd app I am using is Widgetsoid which recently updated to a new version.

Do you have any ideas about what is causing the problem and how to fix it?

standuncan

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I haven't even thought about this problem in such a long time. They never fixed it so I just forgot about. it. Now, I don't even try to put one app on top of another to create a directory. I know it won't work and I know that asking for help won't work. So, life goes on.

PhawKhrua

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Wouldn't work for me, at first, either, but what was mentioned earlier (about needing to do it quickly) worked perfectly on my Nexus 10 with KitKat (4.4.2). It just takes a little practice to get used to it.

standuncan

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy for you, but it still will not work for me and it is not related to practice because I spent hours on it for a number of days. Just one day it worked and one day it stopped working, never to work again. It seems that some people can get it to work and others can't. and Google is not interested in addressing it.

helios3

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I know this thread is from like 4 years ago but I'm still having this problem in Android 5.1.

Are there any for sure solutions? There's this one app I just cannot drag into a folder. It keeps switching the position of the icon with the folder instead.

Edit: It looks like I was trying to drag a widget. Dragging regular apps "fast" works.

Last edited:

Johnnnnn

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I know this thread is from like 4 years ago but I'm still having this problem in Android 5.1.

Are there any for sure solutions? There's this one app I just cannot drag into a folder. It keeps switching the position of the icon with the folder instead.

Edit: It looks like I was trying to drag a widget. Dragging regular apps "fast" works.

I found this forum looking for good to fix accidentally deleting icons and folders from home page. This forum shows the reason why my problem stressful to do many. My solution solved both problems I found.
1. Use the Apps viewer (not in settings, the dotted icon)
2. Choose 'edit' and use a blank page to hold special icons and can even create Folders. This is great because the (Timing) issue solves the drop issue, and when done editing you have a drag-n-drop replacement of whatever you want.