GNEX still worth it compared to S3?

ctousley819

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Wife and I are iPhone users on Verizon. My wife wants something with a larger screen. We have been taking a look and there are some great deals on the Galaxy Nexus out there (we would need to go through a carrier). For example, I can get a GNEX free from Target. S3 is running $100 at most places for an upgrade. My wife likes the user friendly features of the iPhone. I had the original Droid and liked it, then an R2D2 D2, but I wouldn't dare give her something with a skin like Motorola uses. I think it complicates Android and makes it run slower. Hence me thinking about a Nexus for her since it would be stock.

Would it hold up well next to a S3? Obviously the S3 has a little bigger screen, better camera. If it's between a free Nexus and a $100 S3? What is the better deal?

Thanks!

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you can find a cheaper price s3. (amazon or wirefly) I'd get the s3. The nexus has this yellowish tint to it. The camera is ehhh. My girlfriend just got the s3. She loves it. I like it 2. Some cool stuff on there. But if I were picking between the 2, I'd say s3. (in white)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

ctousley819

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
S3 is listed at $149 on wirefly and $99 on amazon for an upgrade. Best Buy had them at $49 a couple weeks ago, but I didn't realize if was for that day only so I missed it. Thanks for the info, will definitely take it into consideration.

oneWAYup7

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus is a perfectly good device. The camera is great outdoor, slugish indoor. It's fast and the screen is nice. The S3 is ovbiously better but maybe your wife wouldn't notice much difference between the two.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I like the gnex camera actually it's not all that bad seeing that this is a phone with a camera not a camera with phone call capabilities lol great indoor pic of my lil bro for xmas

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356622300370.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356622300370.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 56

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I had a Galaxy Nexus before picking up the GSIII. It may not be an important factor for your wife, but the GSIII has much better battery life than the Galaxy Nexus.

Sent from my SGSIII

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Better one of me and my girl. Bottom line the Gnex can get all the bells and whistles of the s3 (pop out player smart stay ext) and can run any new android game out. Currently playing asphalt 7 I bought for 25?

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356622419947.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356622419947.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 51

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I had a Galaxy Nexus before picking up the GSIII. It may not be an important factor for your wife, but the GSIII has much better battery life than the Galaxy Nexus.

Sent from my SGSIII

Yep. I just ordered one of those massive tumor batteries for my Verizon LTE Gnex. Granted, the LTE version will be even worse on battery life, it sucks any way you put it. Even on 3G only the battery life is abysmal. I love everything about the phone, it's still incredibly fast, but you also have to consider that the S3 has 2gb of RAM, and thus should experience less redraws and be an overall smoother experience. So, for all those reasons, I'd choose the S3 if I had a choice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ctousley819

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.Those pics look fine to me, I would have no issue with those. The battery life is a little concerning, an extended battery may be in order. I am just trying to find the best Android experience for her. For the money, it's hard to beat free. I have no problem with a Nexus (I like customizing anyways). She is not like that. She will add apps and such, change wallpapers, etc, but other than that she will keep it as is. Which is why I want something as user friendly as possible. Best Buy has the Razr maxx for free, but I don't know that I could that to her.

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the GNex, I got my wife the G3 for Xmas.....IMO if you are looking to get your wife the best Android experience then it's the Galaxy Nexus....I updated my wife's G3 to Jelly Bean and compared to my Play Store Nexus I find it clunky and not as good an experience as on the Nexus....having said that this phone is the first Android device where she is really getting into the software ect....previously she didn't care about such things, the G3 is a beautiful device and can do a lot of cool things....I just much prefer the "pure" Android thing .....you would be buying from Verizon so maybe that is a factor...

Good luck....

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Get her the S3...you will score points with her friends :)

In all seriousness, if you can find the S3 at a great price jump on it.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Wife and I are iPhone users on Verizon. My wife wants something with a larger screen. We have been taking a look and there are some great deals on the Galaxy Nexus out there (we would need to go through a carrier). For example, I can get a GNEX free from Target. S3 is running $100 at most places for an upgrade. My wife likes the user friendly features of the iPhone. I had the original Droid and liked it, then an R2D2 D2, but I wouldn't dare give her something with a skin like Motorola uses. I think it complicates Android and makes it run slower. Hence me thinking about a Nexus for her since it would be stock.

Would it hold up well next to a S3? Obviously the S3 has a little bigger screen, better camera. If it's between a free Nexus and a $100 S3? What is the better deal?

Thanks!

If you plan to take pictures, go with the S3. The Nexus camera is a decent camera phone, but it cannot keep up with the S3 at all. If you are coming from the iPhone, then you're probably used to a certain level of quality that the Galaxy Nexus can't live up to.

If you think that the addition of the skin is an issue, then the Nexus will be the way to go.

If it were me, I'd spend the extra benjamin for technology that will survive a little longer.

nb

courtjames

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a GNex, but if she is used to the user-friendly iphone, then you might wanna go with the S3. Its easier to use than stock android imo.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
The battery life is a little concerning, an extended battery may be in order. I am just trying to find the best Android experience for her. For the money, it's hard to beat free. I have no problem with a Nexus (I like customizing anyways). She is not like that. She will add apps and such, change wallpapers, etc, but other than that she will keep it as is. Which is why I want something as user friendly as possible. Best Buy has the Razr maxx for free, but I don't know that I could that to her.

I have the GNex and the extended battery doesn't help much. From all you have posted here, there is no doubt in my mind that she will prefer the SIII - better camera, better battery, more user friendly. The GNex is for people who like to customize and need to have the latest version of Android.

ctousley819

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
sounds like I may get her the S3 and get myself the GNex. I can always get the GNex and let her try it out. All good information here, I certainly appreciate it.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
sounds like I may get her the S3 and get myself the GNex. I can always get the GNex and let her try it out. All good information here, I certainly appreciate it.

Yeah if she ends up liking yours you could just switch phones a win win situation

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have a GNex and love it but another thing to consider is contract vs prepaid/off contract.

If you get a contract, go with the S3 as the prices are going to get better.

If off contract or prepaid, the GNex would be a cheaper and cost effective option.

Just something else to consider.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a GNex and love it but another thing to consider is contract vs prepaid/off contract.

If you get a contract, go with the S3 as the prices are going to get better.

If off contract or prepaid, the GNex would be a cheaper and cost effective option.

Just something else to consider.

The OP said they're on Verizon so prepaid and carrier choice probably aren't a concern.

One thing I will bring up is that if you guys are trying to keep unlimited data the Verizon GNex is much easier to find and cheaper through Craigslist or ebay unsubsidized.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

bacalao

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Loved my gnex on verizon but got the N4 and left. Now I always recommend the nexus but if you are looking for great battery life and the closest to stock experience, try the razr maxx hd.
I have had good experiences with motorola phones and these have great reception and battery life. The DNA looks pretty slick too though. Tough choice man, good luck.

Uglycasanova

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I really love my S3. Like someone else mentioned its skin is actually easier to use than stock Android, its the only skin I actually enjoy using over stock.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513