Google Wallet: Purchase with AVS????! Please Help!

woot903

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I used Google wallet app on my GNEX for the first time today and the charge went through smoothly (at McDonalds). I noticed however that Google charged me the correct amount for the item however Google also charged an extra dollar for "Purchase with AVS". AVS is a anti-fraud tool used in online transactions, comparing the billing address the user inputs to the billing address on file for the card used for a purchase. How does that apply here?

Here is the exact charge:

01/01/2013 GOOGLE PAYMENT CORP - Partial Purchase
01/01/2013 GOOGLE PAYMENT CORP - Purchase with AVS

Does anyone else get this when using Google Wallet?
Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Woot903

Last edited:

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Purchase with AVS????! Please Help!

Did they both go through or do they show as pending on your card? The $1 may be the initial request for authorization while the $1.31 is the actual charge. In that case the $1.31 should eventually go through and the $1.00 will just expire without going through.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I did a quick search and could only find that AVS is a protection (address verification system) that is used to make sure the credit card billing address (via the bank) matches the shipping address. I'm not sure in what instances is this used/charged...you might want to send an email to Google and see if they are able to clear up the confusion or how to avoid it in the future.

woot903

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

I'm going to wait a day or so and see if the charge disappears but it is not "Pending".

woot903

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

UPDATE:

The charge still has not dropped. Google does state that authorizations can remain on a card for up to 14 days.

"When you check your bank account or credit card statement, payment authorizations are often listed as pending. These transactions might remain in your account between 1-14 business days, depending on your card-issuing bank. Please keep in mind they are authorization requests only, not actual charges." - Source

I think I'll keep waiting it out, but what worries me is that Google usually makes authorization charges from "GOOGLE GOOGLE.COM/CH."

I did make another purchase using the Google Wallet Application the next day and did not receive another one dollar charge.