Is the Gnex a good upgrad now?

Mordac

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Sprint, and will be for the forseable future.

I've got a Nexus S4g that's showing it's age. I'm getting less tolerant of it's mediocre cell and wifi reception. Battery life is not great...

I tend to tinker, and generally run a farely recent Cyanogenmod nightly, so the Nexus line is attractive.

With the understanding that the Nexus 4 isn't going to be on Sprint, is the Gnex still okay, or should I go with another tinker-friendly phone at this point?

Latest and greatest isn't important, but I don't want to be a year in and regret it. LTE is attractive, but not available in my area yet, sadly.

Oh, and I can get it for $99.99. So, good idea, or should I just hang tough with the S4g for a while longer?

-M

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
"but I don't want to be a year in and regret it." probably you will after a year.
getting nexus 4 is best option now. or look at HTC devices.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
If you're on Sprint, maybe you should try the Galaxy S3. CM10 is stable and CM10.1 is in the M-Series stage. I have a S3 and a Galaxy Nexus. The S3 really outpaces the GNEX.

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
If you have to upgrade now, the S3 would be nice. The note 2 is nice as well but don't know if sprint has it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I know!! and I wasn't suggesting Nexus 4 on sprint but nexus 4 on other carriers.

just giving other viable options

He already said he wasn't leavin sprint. But yeah the Gnex is def a upgrade from the ns4g If u wanna stay pure Android. Just make sure u get the extended battery when u get it. Its free also

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
If anything grab a Note 2. If you always wait for the latest and greatest your going to be upgrading phones every 6 months.

I wouldn't go for the gnex. If anything grab a s3 and use a different launcher.

You can get the real Google experience using Nova or Go launcher. But I'm loving touchwiz now. It's come a long ways.

Anyway if you want a phone that's going to last you're 2 year contract go for the Note 2 or if price is an issue just pick up a S3 they are going for $140 at Walmart. Unless you find a sale going you're going to pay about $350 for a Note 2, but it's worth every penny. I got mine about two weeks ago and I love it.

Just looking and playing with my N2 I'm not sure how the N3 is going to be any better. But the speed of technology is just crazy. The size is not a big issue either if you hold a S3 then a N2 it's not much bigger at all and the screen on the Note 2 is so much better then the S3's.

Anyway if you want a great phone that will last a two year contract check out the Note 2. I didn't even realize how great it was up until a few weeks ago.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The Gnex is cheap on eBay and free from sprint and has 4.2.1 out the box now just like the n4 so u will still get updates just make sure u get the extended battery if u are a power user.

DarcMobile

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just buy Nexus 4 Unlocked for $350 and use pre-paid services. I have GNex and disappointed with the battery and speaker, other than that it is a great phone

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I had this same issue coming from a constantly ROMed NS4G. I eventually decided to leave and go prepaid with a Nexus 4. However, I had really kicked around the idea of staying on Sprint with a Galaxy S3. They seem to get the most widespread dev support. My father has the EVOLTE and he loves the hardware. I think both of those options are better than the Sprint Galaxy Nexus. Also, I know it's not a Nexus device, but the hardware of the Optimus G is very comparable to the Nexus 4.

I have to add that once I left my NS4G for a more bleeding edge device, I haven't had any urges to root and rom it. Most of the reason I was doing that was to alleviate any deficiencies the stock experience had on my NS4G, however now that there's nothing to fix it hasn't been an issue. So, when you do finally upgrade to newer hardware, you may not be as worried about dev support as you might think.

Mordac

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
@everybody. I appreciate the feedback. Best price I can get for the GNex from Sprint right now is $99, and I can't go the ebay route because of corporate issues (discounts, etc). Seems like the consensus is to stay away from the GNex at that price, which is also pretty much what my instincts are saying as well.

@chestont, Thanks, the s3 is high on the list. I don't think I can stick with a stock system - not in my nature, so some degree of dev support is important.

Now, on to see what the community is doing with the Optimus G. ;)

-M

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
@everybody. I appreciate the feedback. Best price I can get for the GNex from Sprint right now is $99, and I can't go the ebay route because of corporate issues (discounts, etc). Seems like the consensus is to stay away from the GNex at that price, which is also pretty much what my instincts are saying as well.

@chestont, Thanks, the s3 is high on the list. I don't think I can stick with a stock system - not in my nature, so some degree of dev support is important.

Now, on to see what the community is doing with the Optimus G. ;)

-M

U can get the Gnex free if u reserve it online. That's what I did

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I went to the official website bro. It's free for upgrades and new lines. I got it from a new line and reserved it at my local store that day.

Sent from my Incredible 4g LTE using Tapatalk 2

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
... I can't go the ebay route because of corporate issues (discounts, etc).
-M
Where you get your phone from doesn't have any effect on your account.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad