Just a quick question about rooting in general...

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have done some research about rooting. But it seems I still can't pinpoint an exact answer for security, maybe I haven't looked in the right places. But my question is, if I root will that put me in a more risk situation for some major security issues? I know that for an app to have superuser you must give it permission first. But what if something got it's way in there somehow, that would give it the right to do whatever it wants with my phone. So could anyone please explain to me a little bit further on security for being rooted and/or not being rooted? And also, how does one brick a phone by attempting to root to the point where it's no longer unbrickable?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have done some research about rooting. But it seems I still can't pinpoint an exact answer for security, maybe I haven't looked in the right places. But my question is, if I root will that put me in a more risk situation for some major security issues? I know that for an app to have superuser you must give it permission first. But what if something got it's way in there somehow, that would give it the right to do whatever it wants with my phone. So could anyone please explain to me a little bit further on security for being rooted and/or not being rooted? And also, how does one brick a phone by attempting to root to the point where it's no longer unbrickable?

yes being rooted makes your device more vunerable than a non rooted device. A malicous application could theoretically get around needing to be granted permission from the super user applications that manager user access. But in the years that i have been using android and the time that i have spent in the forums i have not experience or seen a case where someone had a security issue using apps from the play store.

The people most at risk are the users that use hacked applications that they have downloaded from a third party site. If you stick to applications from trusted developers then you should not have a security problem.

Bricking, achieving root access can be done different ways. One of those ways is by actually using an exploit (trojan virus is a more known term) and taking advantage of a security hole in the system. Of course if you are applying the exploit yourself then you are the one hacking your own system so there is no actual danger from others taking control through the exploit itself. other ways of achieving root is by overwriting the existing software and replacing it with software that already has root access. Many things can go wrong during these processes, for instance during an overwrite of software i accidently dropped my device off my desk and the cable disconnected in the middle of the writing process which left my device without software and it was a paper weight after that.

For the most part if you follow directions and are careful you should be ok during a rooting process.. I dont understand what you mean by rooting to the point where it is unbrickable?

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
yes being rooted makes your device more vunerable than a non rooted device. A malicous application could theoretically get around needing to be granted permission from the super user applications that manager user access. But in the years that i have been using android and the time that i have spent in the forums i have not experience or seen a case where someone had a security issue using apps from the play store.

The people most at risk are the users that use hacked applications that they have downloaded from a third party site. If you stick to applications from trusted developers then you should not have a security problem.

Bricking, achieving root access can be done different ways. One of those ways is by actually using an exploit (trojan virus is a more known term) and taking advantage of a security hole in the system. Of course if you are applying the exploit yourself then you are the one hacking your own system so there is no actual danger from others taking control through the exploit itself. other ways of achieving root is by overwriting the existing software and replacing it with software that already has root access. Many things can go wrong during these processes, for instance during an overwrite of software i accidently dropped my device off my desk and the cable disconnected in the middle of the writing process which left my device without software and it was a paper weight after that.

For the most part if you follow directions and are careful you should be ok during a rooting process.. I dont understand what you mean by rooting to the point where it is unbrickable?

Thanks for your input. As for the security I'm more worried about the future of security. Right now I wouldn't worry but android exploits and hacks are rising a lot. I don't really trust the play store simply because they check for malicious content AFTER it's been published.

And by unbrickable, I mean bricking a device and there is no longer a chance to fix it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2