Should I buy an extended battery?

HIMAN1998

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm about to get a Galaxy Nexus i515 tomorrow, and I was wondering if it is worth the $25 on Amazon for the Samsung official extended battery, or if I should go with one of the bigger ones. I hate having the big bulge in the back of my phone. I do about 2 hours of listening to music, 3+ hours of Facebook and Craigslist, and about 1-2 hours of various other things daily.

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
What I would do is try out the stock battery for a couple days to see if you really need another battery. You might not need one especially if you do some smart power management. I can get through my entire day and I use my phone pretty heavily. If you can't get through the day then you can determine how much more battery you really need.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

HIMAN1998

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Any good power management apps? Also, does Lookout antivirus use a lot of battery power? I need an antivirus since I download some .apk files before buying the app to try it out. If lookout is bad for battery life, what's a good one?

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Some people will say a power management app uses more power and doesn't work. I use green power premium and it has extended my battery at least 25% with the correct settings. As for Lookout, I am still on my 14 day premium trial and so far notice no lag and no more power usage than I already have. The other one I tried was Avast and again seemed pretty good but I think I like the interface of Lookout better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

HIMAN1998

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I've tried both avast and lookout, and I use lookout currently because it takes less ram. When I get the phone, I will try that app

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I use Norton and it does not seem to interfere with anything or slow me down. There is a free version that works fine for most people.

HIMAN1998

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Eh, I've never liked Norton on the computer, I've always been an Avast user. I might just try out some of the larger antiviruses.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Eh, I've never liked Norton on the computer, I've always been an Avast user. I might just try out some of the larger antiviruses.

I hated Norton on the PC for years as it was a huge resource hog. They seem to have resolved that with the latest version of Internet Security. I have it on 3 different PCs and have been pleased enough that I put it on my phone.

davidnyc

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I bought the OEM extended battery, which comes with a new battery cover. It doesn't actually add much in terms of capacity, as I think the included battery is 1750ma and the extended is 2000ma. However, it's always good to have a second battery in case I'm out for a while and don't have access to a charger. I refuse to buy non-OEM batteries after getting burned by fakes.

HIMAN1998

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought the OEM extended battery, which comes with a new battery cover. It doesn't actually add much in terms of capacity, as I think the included battery is 1750ma and the extended is 2000ma. However, it's always good to have a second battery in case I'm out for a while and don't have access to a charger. I refuse to buy non-OEM batteries after getting burned by fakes.

How much more time would you say it adds to the battery life?

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I never bought the extended battery for my i9250 (GSM version; no LTE). I would consider myself to be a moderate user (occasional Facebook, email, Spotify in the car) and the stock battery usually gets me through a day of usage and then some.

But heavy users (e.g. the screen constantly on) probably won't notice a significant difference with Samsung's extended battery, since it's only slightly larger. Seidio makes a really big one (3,800 mAh) for the Verizon/Sprint variants, but it adds quite a bit of bulk to the back of the phone and only their purpose-built cases are compatible with it.

HIMAN1998

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I never bought the extended battery for my i9250 (GSM version; no LTE). I would consider myself to be a moderate user (occasional Facebook, email, Spotify in the car) and the stock battery usually gets me through a day of usage and then some.

But heavy users (e.g. the screen constantly on) probably won't notice a significant difference with Samsung's extended battery, since it's only slightly larger. Seidio makes a really big one (3,800 mAh) for the Verizon/Sprint variants, but it adds quite a bit of bulk to the back of the phone and only their purpose-built cases are compatible with it.

I saw those, and I've decided that I'll just try stock until I can accurately gauge how long I will get on the battery. I don't want the huge bulk. I might just carry an charger that has a battery inside with me.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm about to get a Galaxy Nexus i515 tomorrow, and I was wondering if it is worth the $25 on Amazon for the Samsung official extended battery, or if I should go with one of the bigger ones. I hate having the big bulge in the back of my phone. I do about 2 hours of listening to music, 3+ hours of Facebook and Craigslist, and about 1-2 hours of various other things daily.

Another alternative is to buy a portable battery charger? I don't want to buy a bulky battery but I also need more juice. So an external charger seems best especially if it's portable. :) I will be planning to purchase this when I get the chance. Amazon.com: Anker? Astro3E 10000mAh External Battery Pack High Capacity Power Bank Charger (Dual 5V 3A USB Output) for Smart Phones, Android Phones, PS Vita, GoPro; iPad mini, iPhone 5 (Lightning Cable not Provided); iPhone 4S, iPad; Samsung Galaxy S

Last edited:

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I would just buy spare batteries. I don`t really care for hulking batteries, when you can just replace it.

I have a case on and it's a hassle to take it off, then take off the cover and putting it all back. Plus if you have other devices on you, you can charge those as well. It's not for everyone obviously but it's a good alternative.

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a case on and it's a hassle to take it off, then take off the cover and putting it all back. Plus if you have other devices on you, you can charge those as well. It's not for everyone obviously but it's a good alternative.

Though, what if I drop the extended battery case, and it might get damaged. Some of them, not all, have the battery attached to the case its self.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Though, what if I drop the extended battery case, and it might get damaged. Some of them, not all, have the battery attached to the case its self.

Well for me I wouldn't really take it out anywhere. I usually have large pockets and/or a bag. So when my phone is low or half way I'll put it in my pocket/bag and let it charge until I am in need of it. But in the even that you do drop it it's not too expensive to rebuy or maybe there is a way to get it repaired, 18 months warranty. This obviously highly depends on the company and etc.

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Well for me I wouldn't really take it out anywhere. I usually have large pockets and/or a bag. So when my phone is low or half way I'll put it in my pocket/bag and let it charge until I am in need of it. But in the even that you do drop it it's not too expensive to rebuy or maybe there is a way to get it repaired, 18 months warranty. This obviously highly depends on the company and etc.

I guess its personal preferences.
Though, I don't carry around batteries with me, just stock.
Haven't had any draining issues.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech