Should I root my GSM Google Nexus?

Abby H

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm been thinking about rooting my phone because the memory in my phone is basically all gone and I have about 80M of memory left (give or take 50M). I don't want to break my phone when I root it. I recently installed the "GO Launcher" and other "GO" stuff such as the task killer, weather, and battery saver and I further realized my memory is draining; should I just uninstall these apps or root? My phone is currently the latest version of android which is 4.2.2 build number JDQ39 and my phone is quite slow at times, the only reason I'd like to root my phone is to clear some memory and maybe free my phone up a bit.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
When you say 'memory', do you mean available RAM or storage space?

If storage space is your issue, installing more apps won't help that because apps take up that space. Uninstall the ones you don't use anymore.

If RAM is your issue, the way Android works basically goes like this: free RAM is wasted RAM. So, it's normal for you to not have a ton free. You say your phone is sluggish, I'd try clearing your caches in recovery along with uninstalling unnecessary apps. It may just be easier for you to do a factory reset on it and start from scratch.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Simply close the apps you don't need. It seems like you simply have too many apps running. I average about 600-800 MB of RAM available normally.

Wow, lots of redundance in this post. :p

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty