New Version of Google Play Music Constantly Crashes

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey all. Check the size of your On Device library. I had the app working fine for a few days but it started crapping out this morning on my S3 but kept working ok on my Nexus 7. Constantly crashed after about 30-45 seconds after starting the app. Error logs said something about an SQL error with too many combined statements or something. Tried the same things you guys tried, uninstalling, clearing app data, disabling, etc., but nothing helped and when I saw something had tried a factory reset and it didn't help, I figured it had to be something with the library.

Sure enough, I removed my SD card and the app's been working fine ever since. I had about 3000 songs on the SD card so there's some bug in the app limiting that. What I'm not sure about yet is if the problem is the combined On Device library (which I the songs on the SD card + cached/pinned songs) or if it's just the songs on the SD card. SD card is currently plugged into my tablet so I can upload the songs to Google Play. (I've now got about 11000) songs in the google locker and that's working fine on the Nexus so that's not the problem.

So if I understand you correctly, you're saying if we have songs on our external micro SD card, that can be causing this issue? If so, doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of having "all" your songs in one place.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I read a few more threads and I think it's from having too many songs locally on the device. Either songs pinned or songs you already had on the device. At least that's the problem I had. It's pretty easy to test too if you have a micro SD card. Turn it off, remove the card and see if it still crashes.

It's definitely a bug so Google should be fixing it.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I read a few more threads and I think it's from having too many songs locally on the device. Either songs pinned or songs you already had on the device. At least that's the problem I had. It's pretty easy to test too if you have a micro SD card. Turn it off, remove the card and see if it still crashes.

It's definitely a bug so Google should be fixing it.

I might just stick with Spotify Premium.....

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I take back what I originally posted about the size of your locally stored MP3 library. Fingers crossed but I think I isolated it down to some old playlist files (m3u) I had on my SD card. That explains why taking the card out let the app work again. Deleted them and everything's ok again;

Hopefully that's it. Take a look through the Event log in the crash report. I saw some events for playlists right around the time the crash occurred.

Wow this app is really fragile.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I take back what I originally posted about the size of your locally stored MP3 library. Fingers crossed but I think I isolated it down to some old playlist files (m3u) I had on my SD card. That explains why taking the card out let the app work again. Deleted them and everything's ok again;

Hopefully that's it. Take a look through the Event log in the crash report. I saw some events for playlists right around the time the crash occurred.

Wow this app is really fragile.

What if I format my SD card, but still leave it in there? Would that help? When I first got my phone, I downloaded Double Twist w/ Air Play and used that to locally sync my iTunes library to my S4 (which is on the SD card). However, what I didn't realize is that, technically, I have it duplicated on my phone. Once via double twist (locally) and one via google play which is non-local (since I've always used Music Manager to pull my iTunes library into my Google Play library)

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Still waiting... Was hopeful it'd be released today... :eek:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I've noticed a few folks talking about local music stored on the device. Just out of curiosity, do you have local music on your device (internal and/or external micro sd)?

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to update everyone. IT WORKS!!!!!! Originally, I had used doubletwist to transfer my iTunes library over to my new droid (locally). I read somewhere that if you have a massive local library, that could be the issue problem. Well, since I used Google's music manager to transfer all of my iTunes songs anyways (which now sits on google music), I went ahead and unmounted my SD card and simply formatted my card. Voila! Now it works!

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
So in short....erase all of your local music (and if you still want access to it, just upload to google music via music manager) and that should fix it =) I'm using it now. Works great! (knocks on wood)

fierro951

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Someone in here said to try erasing your playlist files (too lazy to find the post). It worked perfect and I get to keep all my local music. Thanks!!!

droidrider

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Uhm..No.. Not erasing my playlist file, nor erasing my local music library. I need those things. When Google buys Verizon and offers me unlimited data, then I might think about it.

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
So in short....erase all of your local music (and if you still want access to it, just upload to google music via music manager) and that should fix it =) I'm using it now. Works great! (knocks on wood)

Woo hoo! Congratulations!

Still not working for me. I haven't had local music files for ages. Been using Google music for a long time, listening to everything that I uploaded through music manager. I'll just use old version until they fix it.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Woo hoo! Congratulations!

Still not working for me. I haven't had local music files for ages. Been using Google music for a long time, listening to everything that I uploaded through music manager. I'll just use old version until they fix it.

Have you tried it without a micro sd card inserted? Or perhaps you can format the card and re-mount it and try it this way as well.

djshackman

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I tried it without any local library on my phone, and still had severe issues. Downloading tracks to the phone takes literally days on a fast connection, and often never finishes. Tracks don't play all the way through. There are duplicates of tracks my computer uploaded or matched.

I really wanted to like this service, but it's somewhat of a mess and not very usable on Android currently. I also have too many issues with Rdio, and Spotify, while currently the best on Android, annoys me for too many other reasons.

Well, back to local syncing of my own library.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm up and running, problem solved.

Post #11 on this thread worked:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/279404-play-music-crashing.html

This is what I did and it's now working!
I had the same problem when upgrading to Play Music 5.0.something; what I did to overcome the FC's:
1. Clean cache Download Manager
2. Clean cache Play Music
3. Clean cache Media Storage
4. Reboot

Now this does mean that you have to set your ringtone/notifications all over again but it worked for me. Some say that removing all your local music also helps but I can't confirm that since my earlier steps did the trick.

Credit should NOT go to me. If it works for you, please go to other thread and thank the guy that posted!

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
OK, I'm up and running, problem solved.

Post #11 on this thread worked:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/279404-play-music-crashing.html

This is what I did and it's now working!
I had the same problem when upgrading to Play Music 5.0.something; what I did to overcome the FC's:
1. Clean cache Download Manager
2. Clean cache Play Music
3. Clean cache Media Storage
4. Reboot

Now this does mean that you have to set your ringtone/notifications all over again but it worked for me. Some say that removing all your local music also helps but I can't confirm that since my earlier steps did the trick.

Credit should NOT go to me. If it works for you, please go to other thread and thank the guy that posted!

Nice! So you didn't have to erase any local music files?

HotCheese

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I use iSyncr to put music on my phone. I deleted the folder it created on my phone and instantly the crashing stopped. If you use it, try deleting its folder on your phone.

Allenmat

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I use iSyncr to put music on my phone. I deleted the folder it created on my phone and instantly the crashing stopped. If you use it, try deleting its folder on your phone.

This worked. Google Play was working fine on my 32 gb Htc One. I traded for a 64 gb model and then started using iSyncr. Thanks for solution.

Al

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I use iSyncr on my GS4 and it works fine. I have the exact same setup on my Note 8 and it crashes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Todd Skiles

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I've tried everything everyone mentioned here and it won't work. Not only that - but it wiped out all my playlists from iSyncr. This after the disaster upgrade to JellyBean last month that killed my battery life because it couldn't handle Exchange - and I"m done with Android. Time to rethink the iPhone or Blackberry.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon